Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface these comments by saying I totally respect any trim level of
Challenger and think they all look great! Now that I have that out of the way...

I own a 2018 Challenger TA 392 and one of the things that attracted me was the cool single hood scoop. Kind of set it apart from the other versions of Challengers except for the SRT8’s from whom they borrowed this hood.
But now, it seems like the single hood scoop (does it have a name?) has replaced the Ralley Scoops hood as the default choice for almost all trim levels - of which I last counted, were over 15 variants. Yes, I know that the Hellcat hood was soon adapted by SRT8s and as mentioned previously, the SRT8s also had the single scoop before the TAs came along. But I’m a bit miffed that 90% of the new cars (I’m guessing at the number by going with trim level sales) will have the same scoop I have. Thus -it is no longer unique.

Again - not meaning to insult anyone. Just venting a little and as some would say: “don’t you have anything more important about which to worry?”

A

(No need to worry about the license plate not being obscured, this is a GT for rent at an airport Avis lot)

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
9,919 Posts
Hard cold rule about the corporate attitude of Stellantis (nee FCA). They don't care about exclusivity. They only care about volume sales. If a single scoop hood will move sales on any trim level of their Challengers, that trim level will get that hood.

On the bright side if single scoop hoods drive sales, that insures the continuity of the Challenger ad-infinitum. After all, look at what happened to the Magnum.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
754 Posts
SXT gets the old true Challenger hood. G/T, R/T and T/A get the 'Cuda AAR hood, Scats get the old Hellcat hood and Hellcats have a new hood.

My wife's G/T AWD has that hood. It's kind of growing on my but I prefer the traditional Challenger hood.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
That's why I have been seriously thinking of replacing mine with a '70 retro T/A hood instead..haven't seen even one around my area.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
9,919 Posts
Yes, I know that the Hellcat hood was soon adapted by SRT8s and as mentioned previously, the SRT8s also had the single scoop before the TAs came along. But I’m a bit miffed that 90% of the new cars (I’m guessing at the number by going with trim level sales) will have the same scoop I have. Thus -it is no longer unique.
Just another thought. On hellcat.org, there is a similar discussion on this subject. But the attitude is that the adoption of the hellcat styled hood by other trim levels is an advantage in that the hellcat (at least the original SRT version) stands out less to potential thieves. Herd mentality, LOL.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
3,996 Posts
All these different hood designs means lot's of hood options and other parts available at a reasonable price in the junkyards for those wanting to customize as the years go on. Seems like FCA > Stellantis just wants to maximize its return on investments by offering versions of the Challenger that attract both Old School and New Era car enthusiasts. Our cars still turn heads unlike the other brands of Retro Cars. We're just lucky they didn't do what Ford and Chevy did to their original retro designs!

With that said, I like the original twin scoop myself too. The original look from 2008 is classic.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger RT Scat Pack
1,215 Posts
While I am sure folks might be disappointed that their style didn't stay with their model only, it is actually jumping the aftermarket by a few years. How many 1969 Camaros are now running Cowl Induction hoods, or 1970 Chevelles with Cowl Induction? Way more than were built most likely. Folks tend to change them out at some point on muscle cars, so I really am not upset over it.

I think moving content down the line from the halo cars has energized and continued the wild run the platform has had.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I understand your concern. IMO, you should be able to tell the model by the design changes and amenities. This is almost impossible with the Challenger as you can order a Challenger any way you like it and they tend to include higher model level options on lower level newer models. I have the hood like the above which came on the 392's. One came on my 345 T/A and I am pretty sure they come on a SXT's now. It's almost like up badging.

·
Registered
214 Posts
One of the reasons I’ve held off getting a newer version of the Challenger is the lack of the original rallye hood option on any of the V8s offered. They may as well offer all the different hood styles as options as they are for the most part non functional and have no real model uniqueness . I have the 20” hyper black rims that were only available with the super track pack for the plus cars in 2015 but really haven’t kept up with what wheels are available with what model or year except the Hellcats brass monkey wheel. It would be nice to get a larger width tire fitted but is that a form of upbadging?

·
Registered
991 Posts
IMO, you should be able to tell the model by the design changes and amenities. This is almost impossible with the Challenger, as you can order a Challenger any way you like it...
That's one of the things I like about the Challenger 50th Limited Edition series. They are all configured with accoutrements, specific to the series. Same goes with the T/A's that I've seen.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
710 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
.... as they are for the most part non functional and have no real model uniqueness . I have the 20” hyper black rims that were only available with the super track pack for the plus cars in 2015 but really haven’t kept up with what wheels are available with what model or year except the Hellcats brass monkey wheel. It would be nice to get a larger width tire fitted but is that a form of upbadging?
You bring up a lot of good points!
1. Not bragging, but my original ‘10 RT had scoops which dumped cold air into the engine compartment. Not as good as into the air intake but still something worthwhile. My current 392 TA has a functional ram air scoop.
2. Yes, the Hyper Black (II?) rims are on many models; including my car.
3. Not sure if wider tires and wheels are an “up badge;” that seems like more of a day 2 mod - at least back in the day. If it is an up badge then I’m guilty because I have the same size wheels and tires as a Hellcat! But the car proudly screams ‘TA’ so shouldn’t be any confusion.

·
Premium Member
12,605 Posts
Back in 2017 when we were up at Carlisle there was a brand new T/A 392 with the TA style hood on it. I thought that car looked awesome. If I owned a T/A that is exactly the hood that would be on mine. BTW I would also put larger 392 call outs on the fenders. Of course I am so old school anyway...

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back in 2017 when we were up at Carlisle there was a brand new T/A 392 with the TA style hood on it. I thought that car looked awesome. If I owned a T/A that is exactly the hood that would be on mine. BTW I would also put larger 392 call outs on the fenders. Of course I am so old school anyway...
We seem to be straying slightly off track with a secondary discussion on “proper” old-school TA hoods. This has been discussed elsewhere but I’m cool with it. As I commented before, they came out with something “close” back in 2010 with the MOPAR 10 edition. Is that hood still available through MOPAR parts for those of you wanting a snorkel hood? While you’re at it, can we get the trumpet exhaust tips that exit out the front of the rear wheel wells?:p

Reactions: Lurker123

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
710 Posts
We seem to be straying slightly off track with a secondary discussion on “proper” old-school TA hoods. This has been discussed elsewhere but I’m cool with it. As I commented before, they came out with something “close” back in 2010 with the MOPAR 10 edition. Is that hood still available through MOPAR parts for those of you wanting a snorkel hood? While you’re at it, can we get the trumpet exhaust tips that exit out the front of the rear wheel wells?:p
View attachment 275095

It is available ... I posted a link to where to buy one in post #15.

Sorry if I took the conversation off track. I was replying to Cruiser's post that referenced wanting a T/A hood that mimics what the Challengers had in the '70s.

Reactions: Maxedwell
1 - 20 of 43 Posts