Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1/24 Scale Dodge Challenger Diecast

4K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Black 6050 
#1 ·
My wife got me the AMT 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic model for Christmas (http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/2010challenger-rt-clas) and I turned it into a replica of my 2011 GWE R/T Classic. The thing about though is that it is very fragile and I wanted something I could take to car shows this summer.

A few weeks ago I was with my wife at Michael's and I found this metal diecast Challenger SRT-8 (http://www.hotdiecasttoys.com/product_info.php?products_id=320). It had to be put together so I figured I could take it home and sand it down and turn it into a little more rugged version of my car for car shows. It turned out pretty good.

The 1st 3 pictures are after I had it sanded down and repainted beside a version of exactly what it looked like before I started (the black one is my dads... ironically he had the same diecast). The next 2 pictures with the graphics are the final result. The last picture is of my car. I found 1971 Challenger R/T 1/24 scale graphics online is what I used. The color of the paint is Testor's Lime Ice. It isn't an exact match but for $5 a can it is pretty close. The paint changes depending on the lighting.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Fantastic job! Nice attention to detail. Did you disassemble the entire diecast for the painting?
Thank you! It comes as a kit that you put together (low skill level = easy) so luckily I didn't have to. I just had to tape off the windows, front grille, and tail lights.

#7 ·
Looks great man...the diecast I took stripped and took apart is still in pieces, unpainted. I'm not sure if I'll wait until warmer weather so I can paint it outside, or try to do it in the basement (in which there isn't a lot of open space without moving a bunch of stuff). I'm sure the basement is the better choice as I can create a controlled environment.

#12 ·
very cool...I'd love to have that kind of patience....which will never happen so I'll need to buy one!!!!
That's gonna be my biggest challenge, Andy. I bought a cheapy airbrush to use so hopefully that makes it a bit easier.

Reactions: Northernhawk
#14 ·
wow, you did a nice job... i too have the black SRT that you have to put together... that was the perfect choice for you to customize... the paint seems to match pretty good too! very nice job and i had to throw you some reps for a well done job!

#15 ·
good luck...I hope you do so well that you insist on doing an inaugural and send it to me in the mail!!!!!!
Haha...I'm actually worried that I won't remember how to put the sucker back together. It really broke down to a ton of parts. I guess I could have taped off the windows and such, but I used chemical stripper to get all the factory paint off so it's bare metal at the moment.

#16 ·
Haha...I'm actually worried that I won't remember how to put the sucker back together. It really broke down to a ton of parts. I guess I could have taped off the windows and such, but I used chemical stripper to get all the factory paint off so it's bare metal at the moment.
well...I'm willing to be the guinea pig....you know...if you wanna put that one back together as mine...and then do your own properly!!!!!:4-wavey:

#18 ·
wow, you did a nice job... i too have the black SRT that you have to put together... that was the perfect choice for you to customize... the paint seems to match pretty good too! very nice job and i had to throw you some reps for a well done job!

Thanks, sanding and taping things off was the biggest part. I have a plastic model done like this too but it is too fragile to take to car shows and stuff so it just sits on our tv stand.

#19 ·
well...I'm willing to be the guinea pig....you know...if you wanna put that one back together as mine...and then do your own properly!!!!!:4-wavey:
I bet it wouldn't be hard to find a white SRT diecast. Look for some rally stripes decals from another car of the same scale and you might be good to go. Bet that would be a lot easier.

I found 1/24 scale 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T water slide graphics on Ebay and that's what I used.
Smart! :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.