Dodge Challenger Forum banner

10% Ethanol in Your Gas

5K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  DWBDave 
#1 ·
From the 10 owners manual.

The 2010 Owners Manual says it is OK to use 10% ethanol, but not E85 ethanol.

Gasoline/Oxygenate Blends
Some fuel suppliers blend unleaded gasoline with oxygenates such as 10%ethanol, MTBE, and ETBE. Oxygenates are required in some areas of the country during the winter months to reduce carbon monoxide emissions.
Fuels blended with these oxygenates may be used in your vehicle.

CAUTION!
DO NOT use gasoline containing Methanol or E85 Ethanol. Use of these blends may result in starting and driveability problems and may damage critical
fuel system components. Problems that result from using methanol/gasoline or
E85 ethanol blends are not the responsibility of the manufacturer. While MTBE is an oxygenate made from methanol, it does not have the negative effects of
Methanol.

#3 ·
From the 10 owners manual.

The 2010 Owners Manual says it is OK to use 10% ethanol, but not E85 ethanol.

Gasoline/Oxygenate Blends
Some fuel suppliers blend unleaded gasoline with oxygenates such as 10%ethanol, MTBE, and ETBE. Oxygenates are required in some areas of the country during the winter months to reduce carbon monoxide emissions.
Fuels blended with these oxygenates may be used in your vehicle.

CAUTION!
DO NOT use gasoline containing Methanol or E85 Ethanol. Use of these blends may result in starting and driveability problems and may damage critical
fuel system components. Problems that result from using methanol/gasoline or
E85 ethanol blends are not the responsibility of the manufacturer. While MTBE is an oxygenate made from methanol, it does not have the negative effects of
Methanol.

The '09 manual provides the same warning. Are gas stations required to disclose if their gas contains Methanol or E85 Ethanol ?
I use BP and sometimes Shell and have had no problems.I'm concerned in the event I have to use another type of gas.
Thanks for posting this info.:smileup:

#4 ·
#6 ·
#7 ·
#8 ·
Simple fix to the ethenol. Every five fill up's, I add one can of Seafoam. It is a few dollars , but it cleans the inside of the engine which include the fuel line, gas tank, intake manifold and more. Seafoam can be bought at any parts/dealer that sells car parts. I get mine from Advanced Auto Parts. It was $6.99 a bottle last week. I have added it 2 times so far and she runs good. It cleans all that crappy corn feed out of the engine. I would love to run a tank of 91 or 93 , but it is over $4 a gallon here. Heck, 89 octane(which I run all the time is $3.999 a gallon!

Destinee, I miss you!

#10 ·
They just said that becuse the MFG did not respond back to them. I talked with the Dodge Service Manager here and he said Seafoam is OK. I would believe them. The car runs fine and it has no issues. thanks, anyway!

Desi

#11 ·
#12 ·
Simple fix to the ethenol. Every five fill up's, I add one can of Seafoam. It is a few dollars , but it cleans the inside of the engine which include the fuel line, gas tank, intake manifold and more. Seafoam can be bought at any parts/dealer that sells car parts. I get mine from Advanced Auto Parts. It was $6.99 a bottle last week. I have added it 2 times so far and she runs good. It cleans all that crappy corn feed out of the engine. I would love to run a tank of 91 or 93 , but it is over $4 a gallon here. Heck, 89 octane(which I run all the time is $3.999 a gallon!

Destinee, I miss you!
That Seafoam is good stuff I use it all the time on stuff that don't run quite right and it cures them.
Just used it on my tractor that hasnt been ran and would not run well.... added some Seafoam and in 5 minutes it purrrred like a kitten.

#15 ·
I have not used the Seafoam in a while. I just want to make sure that Christine is clean all the time. And yes, I occasionally punch it. She runs good with the 10% crap at the pumps.

#16 ·
I have used Seafoam in my Ram 1500 5.7L and our Trans Am with the 5.7L. I have used it in our 115 Johnson V4. I am a believer. Our boat would hardly idle. I would have to increase the throttle and try to get it in gear before it died. I bought a spray can of Seafoam, followed the instructions, an hour later, it purred like a kitten, idled wonderfully and ran like a new motor. When our Durango gets 30,000 miles and so does our Challenger, they will get a treatment. :)

#18 ·
If you haven't heard already, the EPA has already approved changing formulations from E10 to E15. A lawsuit against the EPA to prevent this was dismissed in Federal Court and the SEMA Action Network (SAN) is working to secure passage of congressional legislation (H.R. 3199) that would prevent the EPA from permitting E15 sales until the National Academies of Sciences have conducted a study on how E15 may impact gas-powered vehicles. The EPA has admitted how detrimental E15 would be to pre-2001 vehicles and their solution is to put warning stickers on the pump.

Read more: http://blogs.moparmusclemagazine.co...n-network-e15-gasoline-hr-3199/#ixzz24N9hOqWz

#20 ·
If you haven't heard already, the EPA has already approved changing formulations from E10 to E15. A lawsuit against the EPA to prevent this was dismissed in Federal Court and the SEMA Action Network (SAN) is working to secure passage of congressional legislation (H.R. 3199) that would prevent the EPA from permitting E15 sales until the National Academies of Sciences have conducted a study on how E15 may impact gas-powered vehicles. The EPA has admitted how detrimental E15 would be to pre-2001 vehicles and their solution is to put warning stickers on the pump.

Read more: http://blogs.moparmusclemagazine.co...n-network-e15-gasoline-hr-3199/#ixzz24N9hOqWz
Gee, kinda sounds like they are acting like they did on another piece of legislation...Let's see how badly it works before the facts are in. Already, we are going to see a price spike in gas because of the drought's affect on corn (up to half of the US corn crop is going to ethanol production)...Now the EPA wants to put another 50 percent increase of alcohol into our gasoline? Who elected those idiots? Oh, yeah, nobody did.:shakehead:

Reactions: EMARS77
#23 ·

That's just f*%/!?g great. Another example of the greenies screwing things up again to suit their own private little agendas. Green = more money (in their pockets, not ours).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.