Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1320 as a daily driver?

12K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  Medsport 
#1 ·
So I may be about to order a 392, but still trying to decide on the trim. Even though I've never been to the track, the 1320 looks to be the best deal and its a little quicker and rarer than the standard scat pack. I like the looks of a regular scat better the way I would build it (auto, plus package, caramel seats, dynamics package, AD, upgraded radio, brass monkey wheels). But like I said, it would actually come out about 2k more that way. I know that isn't very much when considering the price of these cars, but still. I could always possibly change some of the interior bits and colors of the 1320 later aftermarket if I went that route. But what has me concerned is the drag radials for daily use. I would have to get a 2nd set of wheels and tires for winter use with either build, but would most likely have to replace the drag radials with some all seasons if I went with the drag pack so that would pretty much negate any savings between the two when ordering. Plus I don't really trust the local tire place as they left some marks on my mustang wheels when putting new tires on.

IDK, I'm still kind of considering the WB (although not sure how it would look with narrower wheels and tires in the winter) or a 50th if I can find one quick at a decent discount when one of the new colors comes out.

#2 ·
i picked up a set of hellcat black spoked 9.5 for the front and 10.5 knockoffs for the rear on let go, for the snows. this way i pack up the 50th rims and summer tires at thanksgiving and put them back on for Easter no tires taken on and off rims
and can enjoy the challenger throughout with out having to worry about tires and rims in NY the land of potholes . there are factory standard rims out there used at a reasonable price. 50th rims you are not finding - dodge lists them as discontinued. and used brass monkeys full sets like new with a heavy tab . most people don't spend up the price for rims they don't like.
ps. the wide bodies are nice.good luck

#4 ·
i picked up a set of hellcat black spoked 9.5 for the front and 10.5 knockoffs for the rear on let go, for the snows. this way i pack up the 50th rims and summer tires at thanksgiving and put them back on for Easter no tires taken on and off rims
and can enjoy the challenger throughout with out having to worry about tires and rims in NY the land of potholes . there are factory standard rims out there used at a reasonable price. 50th rims you are not finding - dodge lists them as discontinued. and used brass monkeys full sets like new with a heavy tab . most people don't spend up the price for rims they don't like.
ps. the wide bodies are nice.good luck
Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking if I got a WB and ended up getting narrower wheels for winter (they say those are better in snow), I could always put some spacers on them to put the wheels towards the outside more. I do like the look of the WB from most angles except maybe the side view and it does have better traction and handle better. I will just will have to see if I can find a deal on one with most of the options I want as they are a tad pricier. I did find a regular shaker in SS that looks sweet that has most of the options I wanted plus a couple at over 9k off. But it has the sunroof (not sure I want one as they add weight) and the black seats (would rather have tan). IDK, it is a really good discount though...

#5 ·
I also found a SS 1320 that looks sharp with some decent options (Alpine, plus package, NAV, driver convenience and carbon and suede package) for about the same price as the shaker. Although it isn't discounted as much (5933 versus 9158) and is way too far away at over 9 hours. I thought the other one was fairly close since its one state down, but its still a 4 hours plus drive. The dealer has some nice exterior pics of the 1320, but would like to see some of the interior with that new package. A minor strange thing I also noticed is it doesn't have the bee logo on the spoiler like I thought they added to all 2020 scats.

#9 ·
SS 1320 ????? what is that ???

#6 ·
i drove 5 states to get what i wanted . the way i look at it for $120 hotel room + meals and a extra day to get what you really want ,is a lot less painful
then kicking yourself every month when you write the check for the next couple years because it was to far, if your looking then it to far ,if its what you really want
" then its not." as for the pics call the dealer I'm sure they will send them if you ask .

#7 ·
i drove 5 states to get what i wanted . the way i look at it for $120 hotel room + meals and a extra day to get what you really want ,is a lot less painful
then kicking yourself every month when you write the check for the next couple years because it was to far, if your looking then it to far ,if its what you really want
" then its not." as for the pics call the dealer I'm sure they will send them if you ask .
Don’t humor him, he’s been looking at purchasing a Challenger for a little over 2yrs. and 2 months.

#12 ·
The new Super Stock is coming out, but not until later this year, and it is way more than a 1320.

Maybe it is the color.....

#20 · (Edited)
Yep...wayyyy more...And the sticker price wasn’t even throw it out there yet..so you know its at least 80 K +
Don’t get me wrong, I hope to drive it, once it comes out but I really hoped , Dodge came up with something new/different—Maybe A non-crate 426 ...another supercharger Level up from the hellcat and what one or two levels down from the demon and the redeye?

SRT guys need to think outside the box a little further...

Reactions: OrangeCrush392
#14 ·
We drove 5 1/2 hours to buy our Shaker and we just drove 5 1/2 hours and 7 hours back to get our Hellcat. Can’t believe you have been looking for two years is this true?

#21 ·
I think it is...Two summers ago, I wasn't really serious and just wanted to see if I could land a killer deal and waiting to pay down my Mustang more. Last summer I actually test drove a few and almost bought a couple of them, but they were not perfect with options and then last fall I almost ordered one, but then thought I better wait and see what the 20's have to offer. This past spring I was about ready, but then I hit a snag with my credit and the virus situation hit. Now, I'm re-thinking the trim I want and still could go with one of a few trims. In the back of my mind I'm also kind of want to know what the 400z will have to offer before committing or maybe wait and see what the 2022 Challenger has in store for the next gen Challenger.

BTW, I did just find almost the perfect optioned 1320 in SS (at least as good as you can go with that trim) with everything I wanted except for maybe the carbon and suede package. They are only listing it with the PD rebate and its also a half day drive. I did take a day off work next week so I will have several days off in a row (which rarely happens) so I could take a road trip later in the week if it sounds like this dealer wants to negotiate. But I had been thinking, it may be better to get one from a local dealer even if I had to order at only 1% under invoice so that if I have to take it in for anything, I could get a loaner and possibly a discount on service work, ect.
decisions , decisions, Have you checked out the New Mach 1.......🤣

Reactions: OrangeCrush392
#17 · (Edited)
I think it is...Two summers ago, I wasn't really serious and just wanted to see if I could land a killer deal and waiting to pay down my Mustang more. Last summer I actually test drove a few and almost bought a couple of them, but they were not perfect with options and then last fall I almost ordered one, but then thought I better wait and see what the 20's have to offer. This past spring I was about ready, but then I hit a snag with my credit and the virus situation hit. Now, I'm re-thinking the trim I want and still could go with one of a few trims. In the back of my mind I'm also kind of want to know what the 400z will have to offer before committing or maybe wait and see what the 2022 Challenger has in store for the next gen Challenger.

BTW, I did just find almost the perfect optioned 1320 in SS (at least as good as you can go with that trim) with everything I wanted except for maybe the carbon and suede package. They are only listing it with the PD rebate and its also a half day drive. I did take a day off work next week so I will have several days off in a row (which rarely happens) so I could take a road trip later in the week if it sounds like this dealer wants to negotiate. But I had been thinking, it may be better to get one from a local dealer even if I had to order at only 1% under invoice so that if I have to take it in for anything, I could get a loaner and possibly a discount on service work, ect.

#22 ·
Yeah, that does look interesting, but more than likely will be around 50k for the base one. IDK, it will probably be a tad quicker than the scat and would be cheaper for me out of pocket as I already have a 2nd set of wheels for the winter. But I've had 3 Mustangs and really wanted something different with more torque off the line and I've always liked the body style of the Challenger and love the new sinamon stick and gold rush colors.

I'm more interested in the 400Z if it ends up looking more like the 240Z like they say without the ugly sharp lines of the current model. If it has the rumored twin turbo six with 400hp and is anything like the new Supra (underrated big time power wise), it should be quick, a lot better on gas mileage and much easier to mod for more power compared to the 6.4. I kind of want to wait and see what the next gen Challenger will be like too as some weight saving would be nice, but who knows and not sure if it will be in 22 or 23. By that time my Mustang will be paid off, but could start running into major maint. issues on it as it already has started to have some things stop working and my main warranty ran out.

IDK, maybe I should just choose the best option and take the plunge as there will always be something better coming out. But then again, I haven't kept a car this long before in a long time and never had a 0% interest loan and have some decent equity built up right now that should continue to improve as long as nothing major happens.

#23 ·
What's the point of getting a 1320 and loading it down with options? This model is designed to burn down the drag strip. That's the purpose of the rear seat delete and removing the passenger seat. Save your money, get a regular Challenger and stick the 1320 emblems on the side. Loading down a 1320 is like drag racing a Cadillac Sedan DeVille with a V6 engine.
-John

#24 ·
I wasn't going to load it down with options. I was just planning on adding the HK and the plus package and might as well get all the seats if I get that package (can always take them out later). I was kind of thinking of getting the rear seat delete at least, but that may hurt resale if I ever trade it in so I don't know. As far as cost, when I did a build of what I would want with the 1320 compared to a regular scat, the 1320 was actually over 2k less. I think its because it doesn't force you to get the driver convenience group with it and if I were to get the regular scat, I would most likely get the dynamics package, adaptive damping and brass monkey wheels and I was thinking of adding the shaker again recently and that's another 2.5k (at that point, I might as well get the WB). So really the 1320 is a good deal for what you get. But yeah, I like the looks of the regular scat with the options I mentioned better. But if I ever take it to the track, it will never be quite as fast as the 1320 without spending a ton of money on upgrades that came with the 1320 to start with. Plus I want something that will at least keep up with the new Mach 1 stock.

#26 ·
As I was searching though some Youtube videos, I found one with a stock 1320 do 0-60 in 3.7 and that was full weight with all the seats and a passenger! Nice, but that guy on Raiti's rides sure likes the widebody and it does sound like it may be the best DD of the trims. I've heard its a little faster than the regular scat too, but can't seem to find any real times.

#29 ·
It seems what you need to do is figure out what you want out of a car, you're talking challenger, 400z, mustang, supra etc etc, well to cross shop a challenger with a z car is not right, the z car is a sports car and the challenger is a muscle car, one is for going around corners and the other is for cruising and straight line racing, do you need a back seat because z cars are 2 seaters, a 400hp twin turbo 6 probably isn't going to be any better on fuel than a 6.4 with an 8 speed, are you racing it because if not the 1320 is a waste of money, you are also taking wide body and wanting to drive in the winter etc etc, figure out what you want the car for and the purpose for having it and that will narrow down what you want, also you clearly aren't all that serious about buying something, you say you've been looking for a couple years and then almost ordered one but wanted to wait and see what the next year offers and also talking about maybe waiting for the 400z that may come out in 2 years, well they are saying a new challenger in 23 so might as well wait

#40 ·
I've never seen anyone who is as indecisive as Medsport is. Going back to when I bought my car in 7/18, he's been "I've been thinking about...but what about...". Wow. I hope you never have to make an important medical decision in a hurry. I don't see how he can just not decide what he wants to do! Buy a ___. What engine and trans? What options? And then buy the damn thing!!!

Reactions: TITANIUM
#41 ·
You love giving me crap don't you? For your information, I may be putting the car shopping on hold for awhile as I've started looking for houses. This is an even harder decision and may or may not be doable at the moment as I don't know the best route to get mine looking more presentable to get sold without losing too much equity and try to find a place that is acceptable at around the same time if possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.