Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am no real stranger to the dragstrip, but this was not only my first time with my R/T, but the first time EVER in a manual transmission. I figured I would have a learning curve, and I didnt disappoint myself. I went to Lebanon Valley on June 20th, a rare Friday night where they had a test n tune plus a gamblers race. The turnout was very light which was awesome for me and just meant more passes to practice. I was really happy about this because I just knew a 6 speed with stock street tires on a prepped track with all the horror stories of wheel hop the more runs the better, heat soak be damned!! The car has 2,100 miles on it, and is completely stock except for a catch can that I installed at 50 miles. I left everything stock, didnt even change air pressures or remove any cheap weight like the spare tire. I had about a half tank of gas, which was a little more than I wanted. The DA ranged from 1639 at the start of the night, to 1010 on the last run. For every run I left traction control on. So, on to the results

I got a total of 14 runs in (so much for cool down)
of the 14, I missed the 2-3 shift 3 times
I missed the 1-2 shift once (I still cant believe that one...I see a Barton shifter in my future)
My second pass, the finish line timer errored and my slip said I passed at 65 seconds....I may be slow, but not THAT slow!
So, of the 14 runs, taking out those gafs, I am down to 9 solid runs.
My best ET was 13.92, best MPH was 102.25, best 60' was 2.143, and on about 7 of the runs I reset my 0-60mph timer and the best I did was 5.40 seconds.
After the 4th run, I did swap in my K&N dropin....and from my unscientific testing I can say its effects are minimal (just one mans opinion)
After getting the practice of 10 runs, my last 4 were all my best with the following ranges
60 foot....2.205-2.143
ET.....13.959-13.920
mph.....101.46-102.25

Also, my brother and one of my nieces came to watch, and I got to take my niece (she is 15 years old) on 2 ride alongs on runs 6 and 7....at Lebanon, if your car is 14.00 or slower you can have a passenger. Well, the first ride along was 14.09....the second was 13.96 and the track said no more passengers!

All in all, an awesome night at the track. Lots of runs, lots of practice, and maybe a future racer was born!! I cant wait to go again!

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Congrats, nice job on the first time out with a totally stock six speed R/T. :smileup:

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,476 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like a FUN night! :smileup:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Well, I am no real stranger to the dragstrip, but this was not only my first time with my R/T, but the first time EVER in a manual transmission. I figured I would have a learning curve, and I didnt disappoint myself. I went to Lebanon Valley on June 20th, a rare Friday night where they had a test n tune plus a gamblers race. The turnout was very light which was awesome for me and just meant more passes to practice. I was really happy about this because I just knew a 6 speed with stock street tires on a prepped track with all the horror stories of wheel hop the more runs the better, heat soak be damned!! The car has 2,100 miles on it, and is completely stock except for a catch can that I installed at 50 miles. I left everything stock, didnt even change air pressures or remove any cheap weight like the spare tire. I had about a half tank of gas, which was a little more than I wanted. The DA ranged from 1639 at the start of the night, to 1010 on the last run. For every run I left traction control on. So, on to the results

I got a total of 14 runs in (so much for cool down)
of the 14, I missed the 2-3 shift 3 times
I missed the 1-2 shift once (I still cant believe that one...I see a Barton shifter in my future)
My second pass, the finish line timer errored and my slip said I passed at 65 seconds....I may be slow, but not THAT slow!
So, of the 14 runs, taking out those gafs, I am down to 9 solid runs.
My best ET was 13.92, best MPH was 102.25, best 60' was 2.143, and on about 7 of the runs I reset my 0-60mph timer and the best I did was 5.40 seconds.
After the 4th run, I did swap in my K&N dropin....and from my unscientific testing I can say its effects are minimal (just one mans opinion)
After getting the practice of 10 runs, my last 4 were all my best with the following ranges
60 foot....2.205-2.143
ET.....13.959-13.920
mph.....101.46-102.25

Also, my brother and one of my nieces came to watch, and I got to take my niece (she is 15 years old) on 2 ride alongs on runs 6 and 7....at Lebanon, if your car is 14.00 or slower you can have a passenger. Well, the first ride along was 14.09....the second was 13.96 and the track said no more passengers!

All in all, an awesome night at the track. Lots of runs, lots of practice, and maybe a future racer was born!! I cant wait to go again!
Great times, I'm curious you posted your SE times below. Did you have any work done, Those are amazing times for the V6.

SOLD--2011 SE RALLYE, SS/T W 3.06 GEARS
1/4 MILE PB 14.568 @ 94.70, 0-60MPH PB 5.82 SEC

·
12,989 Posts
Good job for the first time out, handling a six speed is no easy task especially for a beginner. Anyway it looks like you had a great time and that's what really matters.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
You certainly had a good time at the T&T night! Good that you got a good feel for the 6 speed car and possibly influenced your Niece! Nice review and thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great times, I'm curious you posted your SE times below. Did you have any work done, Those are amazing times for the V6.

SOLD--2011 SE RALLYE, SS/T W 3.06 GEARS
1/4 MILE PB 14.568 @ 94.70, 0-60MPH PB 5.82 SEC

Yes TDJACW, my '11 SE was what I would call mildly modified...basically only bolt ons, a custom tune from Hemifever, Eibach springs, blue top solenoids and Tranzformer to make the auto tranny more fun, catch can, K&N CAI...just basics....also the day I ran that run (and 2 other of my fastest runs in that car) the stars aligned and the DA was in negative numbers, a cool October day. Always had the stock exhaust, stock throttlebody etc so nothing drastic was done. I would also remove all dead weight I could like spare tire/jack, and I have a rear seat delete setup that I made that loses another 40 lbs.

Good job for the first time out, handling a six speed is no easy task especially for a beginner. Anyway it looks like you had a great time and that's what really matters.
Congrats, nice job on the first time out with a totally stock six speed R/T. :smileup:
Thanks Jon and Alan....I figured you 2 would appreciate the info since your a couple of the heavier trackheads here. Your right Alan, the 6 speed is a challenge....a fun challenge, but a challenge none the less! Anyway, now that I have my stock baseline runs I can start doing things like getting a custom tune from Hemifever, bumping up the revs a bit, drag radials maybe, Barton shifter definitely, etc. I did logs of many of the runs I did with my trinity, and all I cared about was launching so I only tracked MPH and RPM....you could clearly see my acceptable launches, my wheel spinning/hopping launches, my missed shifts.....just a 1.5 second flat line of the MPH in the middle of the run :doh:....the tire chirping in each gear. I didnt want to record knock and fuel and all the other stuff, just wanted to keep it simple.

And as everyone has said, lots of fun was had and convincing my niece to hop in was awesome....at first she said 'no way, your freakin crazy' :4-looney:....then at the finish line she said 'that was awesome, thanks uncle Rob" :ura1:

Then my brother said I just turned into this uncle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Hc2o43e-8

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nice post man. You write a good article. Easy to follow. If you'd have gone auto, bet you'd have gone 13:60's using auto stick. I'll look for your write ups in the future.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Great write up! I was routing for you while I was reading it, it was funny. Anyway, those numbers, all things considered are amazing. Your a hell of a driver. I would guess the best way to see what the stock car really has is to get it some decent rubber. The factory tires are always kind of lame.

Now I want to take my R/T out for a night on the strip!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Sounds like you had a blast, thanks for sharing your experience :rep:

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im glad you guys found it entertaining! I dont really post that often but when I do I like to be thorough.....entertsining is just a bonus!! And on the subject of thorough, I should say I do not have factory stock tires. When I had my SE I had bought a set of heritage classic wheels. I had Cooper RS3-S tires on them. They were worn out so I ordered a set of RS3-A tires and had them in the garage waiting to be installed when I came across this R/T. So, part of the deal when I bought the R/T was that I wanted to keep my heritage classics and have my new Coopers mounted on them....so that is the wheel/tire combo that is on the car

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thx for the write up brother. I've never been on a track before but would love to test my R/T just to know what she's capable of. I do drive the Garden State Parkway everyday, and I don't remember which race car driver said it, but it was something like the GSP was the scariest racetrack he's ever been on. So I figure if I can handle that at 80+ everyday I should be able to enjoy a track to get some times in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am going to Lebanon Valley tomorrow for the first time on track with my 2010 RT and a buddy that has a 98 TA WS6, his first time too. Hope to see some more "New" Mopars racing the "Old" muscle. I'm not expecting much being my first time....hope I don't lose to a Ford.:shakehead:

Capture.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Rustydodge....wish I could go but I cant make tomorrow....I am hoping to go wednesday night for test n tune night on jul 2nd, mainly because I have the 3rd and 4th off...as long as the weather cooperates

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, no....I dont go nearly enough for points.....the track is 90 miles north of me....and my job is 50 miles south of me....so for me to get to LVD on a wednesday that I work I drive a total of 280 miles! Thats why I am thinking the 2nd, because I am off the day after....but I will run in the stick class after a couple more days of test n tune to get some more practice.

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Drag radials, you need some drag radials LOL. 275/50/17 M&H's mounted on some Welds would be great but a cheap set of knock off Mustang Cobra rims works pretty good too. Diablo tuner and some good gas before you hit the track wouldn't hurt either. :smileup:

·
12,989 Posts
2X^^^^^ good advise above. :smileup:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts