Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go so have been lucky enough to become proud owner of a 2016 Hellcat, have had it for several months now and debating wheather or not to make some personal touch changes to my Betty or leave it the way that SRT team engineered it. First couple items really want to drop the car 1" to 1.50" lower all the way around fully adjustable kit avail. will do my own installs less body roll lil stiffer in street mode and looks wicked. Second mod idea is a mid muffler delete would take about 2hrs to complete and sounds unbelievable cost less than 100 Bux. Next is a C.A.I. Kit several out there to choose from. Also definatlly need a spare set of back rims and tires have pirelli summer tires now and they do not have enough bite if you want to take it out for a little fun. They break loose way to easy in my opinion. Also want a reprogrammed pcm spare with a custom tune and a metco s/c pully swap lower fluidampner swap and a heavier drive belt and tensioner, from all I have read the pully swap and tune should net me a 4 lb. boost increase without tearing up the motor. What I wonder is what everyone thinks about modding a awsome engineered car by the folks st SRT or leaving well enough alone. Really just for entertainment on the weekends I work hard and when I get a minute play hard. Thanks gor any input Z members. Thank god my wife supports any decision I choose as long as I dont kill myself. LOL

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
I'd say leave it stock, but we all know how hard it is to actually do that. I've already done a couple little things to my car and I said I would leave mine stock at first as well.

I'd go for it, its your car, do what you want to it and enjoy it. HammerDown on here (Bill) has a nice B5 Blue Hellcat and he's doing some engine mods as well, you may want to PM him to get more details.

Sticky rear tires are almost a safety precaution more than a mod really. My Scat Pack really needs drag radials and that's on the stock tune, car gets sideways way too easy and it's dangerous sometimes. I'm sure with another 200+hp that's even worse. So I think a set of sticky wider tires on the back is a great idea.

Good luck with your ride!

Reactions: El-Gato

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,139 Posts
Make the car what you want, as long as you don't ruin it, I see no reason not to mod it. They made close to 7500 Hellcats last year and are supposed to make more this year.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd say leave it stock, but we all know how hard it is to actually do that. I've already done a couple little things to my car and I said I would leave mine stock at first as well.

I'd go for it, its your car, do what you want to it and enjoy it. HammerDown on here (Bill) has a nice B5 Blue Hellcat and he's doing some engine mods as well, you may want to PM him to get more details.

Sticky rear tires are almost a safety precaution more than a mod really. My Scat Pack really needs drag radials and that's on the stock tune, car gets sideways way too easy and it's dangerous sometimes. I'm sure with another 200+hp that's even worse. So I think a set of sticky wider tires on the back is a great idea.

Good luck with your ride!
Thanks I appreciate it

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mod it, everything you listed isn't drastic.
Thats what I am thinking gives pretty good numbers too if a reputable tuner does the pcm. I think 130-140 hp is not unrealistic save all orig parts have a blast and when my family decides to sell it there will be all factory parts to put it back orig. thanks for your response

·
Registered
22,984 Posts
Well for me anyway I'd probably have to mod it. I'd probably do a few minor things at first but eventually I'd probably have to go with a custom tune, but then that's the drag racer in me, I just can't leave things alone lol.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Everything you mentioned will do nothing but improve performance......I would totally go for it.
Dial in that Cat!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,503 Posts
Also want a reprogrammed pcm spare with a custom tune and a metco s/c pully swap lower fluidampner swap and a heavier drive belt and tensioner, from all I have read the pully swap and tune should net me a 4 lb. boost increase without tearing up the motor.
Consider that Chrysler/Fiat spent millions of $$$ to fine tune the Hellcat into the beast that it is, and some the mods you are considering could be warranty voiders. You've read posts from enthusiasts that this mod won't tear up the engine, but I would hate for anything to happen to your Hellcat based upon anecdotal accounts from weekend track racers. Better to bounce your ideas off your local speed shop, have them run the baseline dynos, and let them make the recommendation.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Consider that Chrysler/Fiat spent millions of $$$ to fine tune the Hellcat into the beast that it is, and some the mods you are considering could be warranty voiders. You've read posts from enthusiasts that this mod won't tear up the engine, but I would hate for anything to happen to your Hellcat based upon anecdotal accounts from weekend track racers. Better to bounce your ideas off your local speed shop, have them run the baseline dynos, and let them make the recommendation.
Right too much time on the internet

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'm not modifying mine at all. But I have 2 other Challengers to mod so it gets the bug out of my system. At least that's the plan. :)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
As long as you realized that any $ you spend on mods will not increase the value of the car and will actually hurt the value for most buyers then have at it. Also if you care, check with your insurance. Typically they will not cover the cost of mods if something happens to the car.

Reactions: SFCR and El-Gato

·
801 RWHP
8,552 Posts
I swore I would not do anything to this car. That lasted about a month. So here goes nothing.
First thing I would do as you said is better tires. I am going with replica wheels because I want to go with wider tires and for 295's you need to go to 10in. rims. People will tell you that you can put wider tires on the 9.5in rims...and you can. I thought about it. But in the long run am not willing to chance it when every single tire site recommends 275 is the widest for 9.5in rims which are our stock size. I will be putting Michelin Pilot Super Sports 295/35/20s in the rear and 255/40/20's in the front. 9" rims front....10" in the back.
Second thing I would do and am. If you are putting on stickier tires. DR's or slicks it is recommended that you upgrade your drive shaft to carbon fiber or a one piece aluminum. I am going with the latter. Already ordered.
I am also doing a lower pulley swap. Only a lower pulley swap. You start running into a situation of needing race gas after much more than that. But I am not 100% on that I am also doing a pcm swap and a tune. 180 degree tstat. All of which is also, already ordered. I am comtemplating the mid muffler delete. But that will be further down the road. Maybe next year. I also have a Barton shifter awaiting install.

·
801 RWHP
8,552 Posts
oh, btw, I have done extensive reading regarding CAI's for our trim. I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe there is anything better out there, performance wise, than the stock box. The world record holding Hellcat has tried a bunch and is back running the stock box....albeit with no filter on track runs.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
^ Hellcat airbox is the way to go. Performance wise I don't think you can do much better for the money.

I think the first mod for these higher hp cars should be sticky rear tires. Adding more hp while using the same stock street tires doesn't matter much if you can't even get the stock hp level to the ground without getting sideways.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
Why go CAI when you have headlights that pass the coldest possible air directly into your intake?

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
It all sounds great. Skip the CAI.

·
Banned
160 Posts
As long as you realized that any $ you spend on mods will not increase the value of the car and will actually hurt the value for most buyers then have at it. Also if you care, check with your insurance. Typically they will not cover the cost of mods if something happens to the car.
+1 for the value decrease.

The insurance however... I checked with my local State Farm agent, and she said that aftermarket parts ARE covered by them, just to save receipts and take pictures of the parts on your car.

·
Premium Member
12,626 Posts
It is your car.... what the heck?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts