Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a 180 degree thermostat a few days ago in my 2013 6.4l, everything seems to be working and the engine is running at a cooler temp. I also have a trinity tuner and have lowered the fan settings as suggested (https://www.highhorseperformance.com/HHP_180_Degree_Thermostat_10183_p/10183-usps.htm). The issue I'm possibly having now is that even though my fan setting are lower, they still seem to be running constantly and possibly even harder at low speeds (parking lots, city driving, ect.). Just concerned because I don't want my fan to die out prematurely and the running noise of the fan is kind of annoying, especially in a parking garage. Don't know if this is a normal thing or if I need to make more adjustments. Has anyone else had this issue or know or anyways I can get around it, or is this just completely normal and something I just need to get use to.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,614 Posts
With the lower temp fan settings the fans will run more and raising them will defeat the purpose of the lower temp thermostat. I do not think there is a work around.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,093 Posts
Mine run pretty frequent.You just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, that makes sense. Didn't know if I was to lowers it another degree or so would help or not but I guess its just something I'm going to have to get use too. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
12,528 Posts
Mine is the same way.... as soon as I get into low speeds the fans kick on...

Reactions: OrangeCrush392

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I recently installed a 180 degree thermostat a few days ago in my 2013 6.4l, everything seems to be working and the engine is running at a cooler temp. I also have a trinity tuner and have lowered the fan settings as suggested (https://www.highhorseperformance.com/HHP_180_Degree_Thermostat_10183_p/10183-usps.htm). The issue I'm possibly having now is that even though my fan setting are lower, they still seem to be running constantly and possibly even harder at low speeds (parking lots, city driving, ect.). Just concerned because I don't want my fan to die out prematurely and the running noise of the fan is kind of annoying, especially in a parking garage. Don't know if this is a normal thing or if I need to make more adjustments. Has anyone else had this issue or know or anyways I can get around it, or is this just completely normal and something I just need to get use to.
I did the same thing with a LS1 in my 2002 Trans Am but I added a manual fan switch with 3 settings off low and high. I dont know if you can do that on the Hemi.Just dont forget to turn it on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
on my 04 ram i ditched the clutch fan foe a flexalite black magic(most noticeable bolt on)and the 180 tstat. if your fans are set even a degree below the exact temp the stat opens the fans will never shut off under any normal conditions. just for clarification 180 stat may keep the engine 185 or 176 or more. the fans may say they are set at 180 but there could be an off set on the sending units. my point is gradually turn up settings on fans until say temp runs 190(still will help at that temp) then fine tune it bringing down the set point as low as you can with out going below actual fully open point of tstat. remember the thermostats rated temp is there to maintain engine temp even in cold weather. so summer time fans will run far more than they will in the not so hot times. so no matter what the fans are at, tstats purpose it to keep the engine warm and it will over come any efforts by the fans therefore running all the time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts