Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...this topic has been whipped to death, but one thing has been bothering me that I haven't seen addressed. I have a 2014 R/T A5 with a 91 octane inTune DCX program with a 180 Jet (Motorad) thermostat. I followed consensus and have my HS/MS fans (a/c on and off) set at 195, and LS (a/c on and off) set at 185. Car runs great and temps stay between 186-192 unless I run hard, but they drop back down quickly. But I noticed I have only one cooling fan, so I'm confused as to the need for different fan settings for one fan...there is no separate "high speed" and "low speed" fan. My 2009 300C SRT8 DID have two fans, and I believe the SRT's still do today, so that made sense at the time. Anyone else wonder about this? Did the older R/T's share the SRT8 system and have two fans? What do you have in your R/T's?

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
We all have just one fan. The high and low settings are condition specific according to coolant temperature and speed of vehicle.

Reactions: jackal

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
my 2012 srt8 challenger has two fans.
They must have changed the game plan. I have the Predator which actually has three different fan settings all pertaining to the one fan. This was the explanation that I came across pertaining to the stock setttings.

How this all works with double fans I don't know but I would guess they are treated as one fan in the software. Running one fan from a double fan setup wouldn't be good for even temperature control across the radiator. IMO :4-dontknow:

I would be interested to know if the newer R/T's have double fans or is it just the SRT's ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, guys. What adds to the confusion is that the Mopar online retailers I've looked at shows the parts diagrams for the fans as being a dual fan system for all 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4's. I didn't check for the 3.5/3.6's. I think I agree with TJGS...it appears all R/T's (since 2008) have a single fan system, and all SRT8's have dual fans. If someone knows differently please post. We all understand that the SRT's have to reject more heat, so it makes sense. I was just trying to understand all the different Diablo fan settings as it relates to one fan. Still a little confused, but it is what it is I guess! :thk:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
The number of fans should be irrelevant. The Diablo fan settings are for an operating threshold, and should activate the necessary fan(s) based on engine temperature and operating parameters.
Check the knowledge base for recommended settings with a 180* t-stat.

***In warmer climates, you may want to raise the fan settings a touch higher so they're not going on constantly. The OEM t-stat is considerably higher than 180*, so you should be plenty safe going 5* higher than the recommended 180* settings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts