Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not pleased with having to make a post like this at 13k and only having had the car since 8k in October...

Backing out of parking space, reverse out, then go to put it in 1st to be on my way and sunnuvaB wouldn't go in...no noises, just not going in, hit a wall......so i put it into 2nd and went on my way then tried to downshift back into first from 2nd to see what's going on and GRINDDDDDDD....no go, back into 2nd.....welp, that was that....and i continued my short journey to where i was headed.

Leaving to go back home, reverse out of a spot, then it went into first fine.....get to a stop sign and downshift from 2nd to 1st and GRINDDD...

It's intermittent, which makes me even more confused. Not that i know jackcrap about cars in the first place.

I don't drive like an ass...the fact the vehicle averages 22mpg says that lol (no jokes, i have little bits of fun here and there)

Im bringing to the stealership near me Wednesday evening and I'm well aware that clutch parts arent covered....but does this sound like a clutch problem? my ignorant perspective makes me think synchros...which would be powertrain covered

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,557 Posts
Not pleased with having to make a post like this at 13k and only having had the car since 8k in October...

Backing out of parking space, reverse out, then go to put it in 1st to be on my way and sunnuvaB wouldn't go in...no noises, just not going in, hit a wall......so i put it into 2nd and went on my way then tried to downshift back into first from 2nd to see what's going on and GRINDDDDDDD....no go, back into 2nd.....welp, that was that....and i continued my short journey to where i was headed.

Leaving to go back home, reverse out of a spot, then it went into first fine.....get to a stop sign and downshift from 2nd to 1st and GRINDDD...

It's intermittent, which makes me even more confused. Not that i know jackcrap about cars in the first place.

I don't drive like an ass...the fact the vehicle averages 22mpg says that lol (no jokes, i have little bits of fun here and there)

Im bringing to the stealership near me Wednesday evening and I'm well aware that clutch parts arent covered....but does this sound like a clutch problem? my ignorant perspective makes me think synchros...which would be powertrain covered
If the car was moving any when you tried to shift into 1st from 2nd that can explain the behavior.

If the car was at full stop the difficulty getting the transmission into 1st can be "normal". No issues in this regard with my 2020 Scat Pack with its 6-speed but one of my early cars always was reluctant to shift into 1st gear. What I had to do was shift the transmission into 2nd -- which was always easy peasy -- then just let the clutch out a bit then depress the clutch pedal and shift from 2nd into 1st. Invariably this 2-1 shift went very smoothly. Seems like a rather involved process but it was "automatic" -- I did it without having to think about it -- and quick. Clutch was fine until at some point over 150K miles the throw out bearing failed.

Certainly there could be a problem with the clutch or the shift linkage outside or inside the gear box.

I had one car manifest very much out of character clutch engagement and shifting issues. Long story short the clutch hydraulic system shared hydraulic (brake) fluid with the brake hydraulic system. While I had up to this point been pretty good about having the brake (and clutch) hydraulic system flushed/bled every 2 years as per the factory's service schedule one time I let this go. When I took the car in and detailed what was going on the SA suggested a flush/bleed. The alternative being a transmission drop to probably replace the clutch and maybe even a transmission rebuild. I agreed. After the fluid service the clutch action was restored to its up 'til this point perfect behavior and shifting was once again butter smooth/drama free.

These cars I believe do not have a flushable/bleedable clutch hydraulic system but are self bleeding. The downside is it can take IIRC a hundred (or more) pedal pushes to do this. I'm not about to sit and push the clutch pedal down then release and repeat this 100 (or more) times. I'm hoping that just my driving will have me work the clutch enough to keep the hydraulic system flushed and operating correctly.

Right now just a (slim?) possibility but if the car has not received that much use maybe the clutch hydraulic fluid is "bad", like the fluid in one of my cars went "bad" and caused a problem with clutch operation which in turn affected shifting.

Something to (maybe) keep in mind.

As I touched upon above, there is of course just the possibility the clutch hardware is bad and not allowing for full disengagement of the clutch. This would make a particularly bad 2 to 1 shift. But other shifts would be "crunchy" too based on my experience. Clutch hardware in this case includes the clutch hydraulic system, particularly the clutch slave cylinder/piston which may have a small leak that lets the clutch slowly obtain partial engagement even with the pedal fully depressed.

Or there is a transmission linkage problem. (Years ago I had a car develop a bad engine mount. While shifting was not bad it often didn't feel "right". After the bad mount was found and replaced the shifting felt right all the time.)

One "test" that was passed on to me via professional auto techs was with the engine and transmission up to operating temperature and the car stopped and on flat ground with the engine idling with the clutch pedal depressed one should be able to shift from N to any gear with no drama. And beyond that shift from say N to 2nd to then shift to 5th likewise with no drama.

The inability to do this may be due to a problem with the clutch (or transmission). But it would take a professional auto mechanic to determine the cause.

Not much you can do on your driveway other than to possibly perform the test above.

And to check vital fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir and if there is one check the fluid level in the clutch hydraulic system. At the same time you want to sure the clutch hydraulic system is not showing any signs of any leaks.

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
You got the car with 8K miles on it. All bets are off on a used car. Was it crashed? Was it owned by bad boy racer X? And did he/she totally trash the gearbox? With that few miles and this level of problem, all is suspect.
-John

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it go into 1st gear without issue when the car is off?
Since the issue first was noticed yesterday, i can say yes, it goes in fine when off, however, i didn't try that when it was in the middle of the tantrum. It's been very intermittent and random. The only possible correlation is that it has happened AFTER coming from reverse moments prior.

So far only one more time did it give me a problem since posting yesterday. I pulled out of a parking spot, wouldn't go into 1st, so i took off in 2nd....I went to downshift from 2nd to 1st, grind, went back into 2nd for just a moment, just enough to engage, then tried 1st again and it went right in.

Still very intermittent though.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the car was moving any when you tried to shift into 1st from 2nd that can explain the behavior.

If the car was at full stop the difficulty getting the transmission into 1st can be "normal". No issues in this regard with my 2020 Scat Pack with its 6-speed but one of my early cars always was reluctant to shift into 1st gear. What I had to do was shift the transmission into 2nd -- which was always easy peasy -- then just let the clutch out a bit then depress the clutch pedal and shift from 2nd into 1st. Invariably this 2-1 shift went very smoothly. Seems like a rather involved process but it was "automatic" -- I did it without having to think about it -- and quick. Clutch was fine until at some point over 150K miles the throw out bearing failed.

Certainly there could be a problem with the clutch or the shift linkage outside or inside the gear box.

I had one car manifest very much out of character clutch engagement and shifting issues. Long story short the clutch hydraulic system shared hydraulic (brake) fluid with the brake hydraulic system. While I had up to this point been pretty good about having the brake (and clutch) hydraulic system flushed/bled every 2 years as per the factory's service schedule one time I let this go. When I took the car in and detailed what was going on the SA suggested a flush/bleed. The alternative being a transmission drop to probably replace the clutch and maybe even a transmission rebuild. I agreed. After the fluid service the clutch action was restored to its up 'til this point perfect behavior and shifting was once again butter smooth/drama free.

These cars I believe do not have a flushable/bleedable clutch hydraulic system but are self bleeding. The downside is it can take IIRC a hundred (or more) pedal pushes to do this. I'm not about to sit and push the clutch pedal down then release and repeat this 100 (or more) times. I'm hoping that just my driving will have me work the clutch enough to keep the hydraulic system flushed and operating correctly.

Right now just a (slim?) possibility but if the car has not received that much use maybe the clutch hydraulic fluid is "bad", like the fluid in one of my cars went "bad" and caused a problem with clutch operation which in turn affected shifting.

Something to (maybe) keep in mind.

As I touched upon above, there is of course just the possibility the clutch hardware is bad and not allowing for full disengagement of the clutch. This would make a particularly bad 2 to 1 shift. But other shifts would be "crunchy" too based on my experience. Clutch hardware in this case includes the clutch hydraulic system, particularly the clutch slave cylinder/piston which may have a small leak that lets the clutch slowly obtain partial engagement even with the pedal fully depressed.

Or there is a transmission linkage problem. (Years ago I had a car develop a bad engine mount. While shifting was not bad it often didn't feel "right". After the bad mount was found and replaced the shifting felt right all the time.)

One "test" that was passed on to me via professional auto techs was with the engine and transmission up to operating temperature and the car stopped and on flat ground with the engine idling with the clutch pedal depressed one should be able to shift from N to any gear with no drama. And beyond that shift from say N to 2nd to then shift to 5th likewise with no drama.

The inability to do this may be due to a problem with the clutch (or transmission). But it would take a professional auto mechanic to determine the cause.

Not much you can do on your driveway other than to possibly perform the test above.

And to check vital fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir and if there is one check the fluid level in the clutch hydraulic system. At the same time you want to sure the clutch hydraulic system is not showing any signs of any leaks.
thanks for all the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts