Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad recently got this car and it wouldnt shift out of first. Heres a few things I know about it.

On the dash it has PRND 8 what does the 8 mean.

Engine light is on car seems to run good tried to use my actron scanner and it wouldnt connect with it maybe its too old but I did download the latest software plus these cars are still OBD2.

I dont really know where to start with it I looked around a little bit if theres a button to switch for the manual/auto shift I dont know where its at.

Any help would be a appreciated I just dont know if this is a common problem with the challengers or what.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In stick mode, you need to bump the shifter to the right to up shift.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The car should shift on its own even in autostick when it gets close to redline, its part of the torque management side of things...do you mean while driving or do you mean its In First gear and car is off and you can't get it into park? If that's the case there is a little. Small rectangle cap near the gear shift that you have to pop off then stick something lime a small screwdriver in it to get your shifter back into park or out of it if its stuck inpark. Take a pic of what you are talking about and post it if you can.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
If you are in autostick mode while driving hold the shifter to the right while drivingfor a few seconds and it will be back in automatic.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive tried shifting the autostick Ive been in cars that had it before so I was hoping it might be something simple like that.

I didn't know if you held it to the right it would put it back in auto.

That whole prnd 8 thing if definitely worth looking into it may not be communicating with the tcm but Im not sure if its loose or what. Its at my dads its definitely worth looking into.

Also my actron scanner wont communicate with my pcm if anyone has this type of scanner have they had a similar issue. Ive used it on a Chevrolet truck as new as 2007 with no issue I figured this would be the same. Although it may not read tcm codes but the engine light is on I would assume it would say something.

Thanks for all your responses definitely a little more insight. Ive been scouring the web since satuday Id like to help to old man get this thing running right.

I will take some pics of the dash when I get an opportunity.

As for the rectangle I stuck a paper clip in there to see if it would do anything didn't help I thought it might shift out of auto stick or something but Ive not had any issues getting it in or out of park.

·
Premium Member
18,518 Posts
You could try taking it to a Pep Boys or Auto Zone for a free diagnostic check.They should be able to get you a code which could provide more information.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Id say your PCM/TCM took a dump, i had an issue with my car and it was the whole fuse block in the rear, replaced it under warranty and fixed my issues, sounds to me thats whats wrong, there was a g tsb about them going bad, not cheap either to replace. start there, pull all the fuses one at a time and see if anything changes, one fuse in mine would act up, then it would work, until i got it replaced. good luck though.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
had a similar issue with my 08 Ram 1500 and after I reset the PCM, it's been running 100% awesome....and that was 6 months ago or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually think it may be limp mode at this point. I really think that if it was first the revs would be much higher although you can only safely go about 15-25 mph without the revs going to high. I didn't pay to much attention I really didn't know what to pay attention to at the time.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
After a ignition cycle does it re-operate and drive ok for a while then go back onto limp?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
That more then likely would be a hard code which means the computer isn't seeing the values it's supposed to and puts it in permanent limp until the fault is corrected...that said the possibilities are input/output sensors they are plastic sensors made into the valve body's top connector plate they have a high failure rate from the build up of fine metal contamination over time...another place to look is under the car around the front of the trans pan by the large round wire connector, you'll want to check for leaks there..if the trans is low from leaks it can drop out of range and cause limp mode also...and last but not least we have internal trans damage ranging from worn out valve bores to one or more smoked clutch drums and or broken spot welds on the exciter wheels...there were reports of electronic problems with the shifter (PRNDL) plate inside the car malfunctioning and going into limp as well...it's been my experience that it's mostly little dumb things causing the problem, it's hard to say, not knowing the exact history of the vehicle and what the people before you did/done to the car as far as abuse is concerned...IMO I'd go for the little things first after the codes are pulled to steer you in the right direction

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Just wondering what the verdict is on this, any solutions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not really Ive been really busy lately and haven't had much time to fool with the car. if I find anything out I will post.

BTW can you visually tell the input output sensors are bad.

Also I know you have to buy a dipstick for the transmission but can you just pull that cap off. I hate sealed transmissions like this.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Any updates? lol im just curious.....as for the dipstick question, ive not ever seen anyhting about that actually and im on several differnt forums. No knowledge on the input output sensors either.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Not really Ive been really busy lately and haven't had much time to fool with the car. if I find anything out I will post.

BTW can you visually tell the input output sensors are bad.

Also I know you have to buy a dipstick for the transmission but can you just pull that cap off. I hate sealed transmissions like this.
Yes the cap comes off to check the transmission fluid level. See the link below for options to check fluid level....you can make your own dip stick or buy the OEM correct one. In your case I'd go with the OEM because you don't know at this point if the fluid level is low or not.

http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/dodge/Top Challenger Tips and Tricks.htm#ChallTip59

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone ever fix this issue I have a 2011 V6 automatic then I put back together after a wreck and now my speedometer does not work and it will not shift out of first gear and manual mode does not work

1 - 20 of 20 Posts