2010 Engine problems?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger Mechanical Problems and Questions' started by Nic1980, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Nic1980

Nic1980 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Inferno Red
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Hey all,

I'm new here, but I've been searching for anyone having issues with their engines. Unfortunetly, mine has been stuck at the dealership for the last two weeks to replace a cyclinder head. Has anyone had any issues with this? I'm so worried that this maybe a start to a long line of problems (though im keeping my fingers crossed).

Thanks
    Nic

2. friendoffur

friendoffur Well-Known Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 Scat Pack
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    In a year and a half of reading most post every day on the Z....I can only recall one member...Blackknight....who had a cylinder head problem that was a warrenty replacement....and that was on a v-8.:4-dontknow:

3. BACNBLK

BACNBLK Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    '09 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Yeah I can't remember any head problems either except the one Dan mentioned. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Joe

4. 70barcuda

70barcuda Senior Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 Core SRT
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Sorry to hear of your problems, but I haven't heard of anyone else suffering from your problem either.

5. jkelly16

jkelly16 The Bearded Wonder........ Administrator Moderator Forum Founder MOTY Winner! MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    ^^^ As stated above and I don't recall any engine issues the the 3.5.

6. Nic1980

Nic1980 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Inferno Red
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Well this is good news, however, I looked further back into this thread and found a couple of people with the issue i had that started it all. Which was cylinder misfiring. Hopefully, this is just a one time thing and I can get my baby back soon, lol.

7. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    2 weeks to replace a cylinder head? Seems a little long.

You give me the car in the moring I could have the cylinder head done by the afternoon no boubt.

Is there a hold up on parts or something?

And yes the 3.5L did have some head problems, but it was lifiters - not a complete head.

8. Nic1980

Nic1980 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Inferno Red
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    ya, its been mostly waiting on parts. Took them two days of taking apart the engine a couple of times to come to that conclusion. I was supposed to get the car back on Friday and they called me up and said they broke a pin. So now im waiting on that part lol

9. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    A pin huh? I have had that motor apart numerous times and I dont recall a "pin"

10. trudyc

trudyc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    ScatPack Shaker
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Stone White
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Hope everything comes out alright does seem like a long time fixing it but hopefully they get it done and right. Good luck friend

11. Nic1980

Nic1980 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Inferno Red
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Well, thats what they told me! "The crank shaft pin broke off" I dont know enough about cars to be exactly sure of what that is.

12. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    They are talking about the alignment dowel pin on the crankshaft probably. Um and thats scary if they broke that :i_rolleyes:

13. Nic1980

Nic1980 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Inferno Red
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Got my car back today! Its running good and feels like home being back in it. The only bad thing is there was a small scratch on my car! Bah, so now I gotta take it back to go get -that- fixed.

14. SSuber7046

SSuber7046 New Member

Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Engine Problems

I have had nothing but trouble with our 2010 Challenger R/T. It is back in the shop right now as I write this. At 6,000 miles the car started lurching forward when we tried to drive out of the driveway. It would go and then stop, go and stop, almost like someone that can't drive a standard if you know what I mean. The dealership came and towed it in for repairs. After 3 weeks of them telling me what wasn't wrong with it.....the oil pan was fine and various other things, I'd have to look at my receipt. They decided to change the short block. They never found anything definitely wrong but Chrysler decided this was more cost effective than spending more time looking. So, they changed the short block and after that the car would idle very rough and on occasion would have no acceleration. When you were getting on the interstate, you couldn't get any pickup. During this time, the engine light came on and went off several times. We took it to another dealership and they said there was no code stored so they didn't know why the light was on. We finally got it in with the light on....they said it was the thermostat. They changed it and updated any software in the car that needed it. They changed the batteries in the key FOBs because one wasn't working all of the time. A week later, the engine light was back on. I took it in, they said, that it was the thermostat, again. They said that there might have been air in the line, so they cleared the code and I guess, the air, and I took it home. One week later, one key FOB isn't working all of the time...just sometimes. The engine light is back on!!! I took it in yesterday, plus called Chrysler, and told them I was getting ready to pursue the lemon law. I haven't heard back what they have found wrong this time. I love this car ........when it is working!!!

15. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Got an old 300M with that same engine, 129K and still runs like a top. Changed the timing belt and water pump once for preventative maintenance.

16. 1970again

1970again New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    '10 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    I've got a 2010 SE with the 3.5L V-6. In November, the check engine light comes on so I bring it in to the dealership with 63K on it. They tell me it's a burnt exhaust valve, cylinder 4 is misfiring and the head needs to be replaced. OK. Done.
    Last week, two months later, same thing. Check engine light. Dealership says No worries, just a software problem. Fixed. For one day.
    Check engine light again. Decided to go to another dealer, because three strikes and you're out with me and it's Chrysler warranteed. They tell me cylinder number 4 is misfiring and needs new head. Again. Never heard of such a thing. Well, I'll pick it up tomorrow and maybe they can tell me what's the reason this re-occurred.

17. air142009

air142009 New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Dark Titanium
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Hello, so recently my car started shaking uncomfortably while im at a stops, naturally the check engine light came on and gave me a P0302 code (cylinder #2 misfire) . It sounds like its about to power down then it starts back up roughly. Im only at 40,000 miles! So i changed the spark plugs ..all good..coils..all good. I start up the car after the spark plug change and check engine light is still there. I even changed the boots around to different spark plugs to see if the code would jump to a different number spark plug but nothing, it was still #2 misfire. I read up and apparently these models come with a weak park in the #2 head that wasnt put out as a recall but to be fixed under warranty (mine is expired) . Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I really do not want to shell out $4,000 on a car that's not even worth $10,000.

18. air142009

air142009 New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Dark Titanium
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    I have had the same problem i am trying to fix as well! should i go with lemon law?