Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone that might have owned both tell me how a new 2014 RT with super track pack compare to a 2010 SRT8?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm sure others way more knowledgeable than me will chime in, but the SRT will be faster and will handle better. The super track pack is an improvement over stock R/T suspension, but not as good as SRT suspension. If I may ask, why this particular comparision?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use to own a 2010 manual srt8 that I sold a little over a year ago. I currently need a new dd and was thinking about buying a 2014 rt auto with STP and was wondering how it might compare. I am going to test drive the rt this weekend but I was just wondering. It is narrowed down between the rt or 370z. Just wondering about how the rt will be because I use to own an srt, I dont want it to feel like a downgrade.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Prices are real good right now on the R/T's. Bought mine 6000 below MSRP. I don't think you will be disappointed driving the auto with STP. I drove a buddys rental Challenger R/T auto, and it felt fast, but did not throw you back in the seat like the manual did. I like the 370Z's, but a guy I know has one and it gets the same gas mileage or worse as the Challenger. And that's with a 300 something horsepower 6 cylinder. Drive em both and see what tickles your pickle!

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
The STPis the exact same suspension as the SRT8 Same Bilstein Shocks, Struts and Springs.. The R/T will give up about 25 HP to the 6.1, the Eagle 5.7's are highly underrated at 379.. Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I would have a SRT not a R/T, but the R/T's with the right mods can be quite a hand full..:smileup:

·
12,990 Posts
The STPis the exact same suspension as the SRT8 Same Bilstein Shocks, Struts and Springs.. The R/T will give up about 25 HP to the 6.1, the Eagle 5.7's are highly underrated at 379.. Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I would have a SRT not a R/T, but the R/T's with the right mods can be quite a hand full..:smileup:

Very well said Eric, ive always felt that the 5.7 R/T has gotten a lot bad rep in the past but they are very capable of putting down some good times with the right boltons. :smileup:

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Very well said Eric, ive always felt that the 5.7 R/T has gotten a lot bad rep in the past but they are very capable of putting down some good times with the right boltons. :smileup:
Most definitely!! I am making 373RWHP with my mods, my friends 6.1 with CAI, Catback, and Diablo 93 CAI Tune did 379RWHP.. Every time we have played it's come down who gets the jump.. Oh both are Autos..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the new engines in the rt's were strong. I am hopefully going to test drive the rt this weekend. I guess we will see how the test drive goes. Right now I feel like the challenger is the better bang for the buck, but the test drive will be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I also put down a little more than 370 on what I think was a generous dyno. They had an SRT on the same dyno about a week before and said I made about the same numbers, but I had the mods on as shown in my signature line. Put mods on an SRT its still going to make more power than an RT.

I test drove an SRT before I bought my RT and I thought the RT felt quicker. I think a lot of its because a 5.7 has a little higher torque than the 6.1 and it comes in at a lower RPM. All things being equal, the SRT is without a doubt quicker plus it has better brakes, a more durable engine, and a better suspension, but seat of the pants I doubt you will find the RT much different than a 6.1.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am really looking forward to the test drive on saturday. I guess we will see what happens. It has been over a year since I drove the SRT, so it will be nice to get back into a challenger. I am interested to see how it compares to the 370z I test drove.

·
Registered
141 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is resale. The challenger came out number 10 on the top ten cars that hold their value after 5 years of ownership. Nissan......um nowhere to be seen. #1 was the Toyota FJ, followed by the Tundra. Jeep Wrangler as i recall was #3, Corvettes were #7 and the Challengers were #10. I don't recall the ones in between but was happy to see the list as I own Wrangler, Corvette and a Challenger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts