Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm in the market to step into the Challenger world. After looking, I've settled on either the 2010 SRT8 or the update SRT's from 2011 and 2012.

I am looking at a price difference of about $8K between the two and wanted to get some feedback on whether the updates to the engine, suspension and other minor tweaks was worth the difference.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
All,

I'm in the market to step into the Challenger world. After looking, I've settled on either the 2010 SRT8 or the update SRT's from 2011 and 2012.

I am looking at a price difference of about $8K between the two and wanted to get some feedback on whether the updates to the engine, suspension and other minor tweaks was worth the difference.
2010 and earlier have the 6.1 liter Hemi. 2011 and newer have the 6.4 liter hemi.

The newer 6.4 hemi has more torque and horsepower. 2011 was the first year they came out. 2012 added a sport, and track mode button, which adjusted the suspension.

·
Registered
242 Posts
2010 and earlier have the 6.1 liter Hemi. 2011 and newer have the 6.4 liter hemi.

The newer 6.4 hemi has more torque and horsepower. 2011 was the first year they came out. 2012 added a sport, and track mode button, which adjusted the suspension.
Just to clarify, the standard tranny models comes with a sport mode, which changes the ride via the magnetic suspension, and the auto tranny models come with the sport mode and track mode, the latter affecting the behavior of the transmission.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
If the mileage and options are the same (ie sunroof, etc). 8k is a big difference. The 6.1 is more boost friendly if you are looking at supercharging it.

I love my 2011 SRT. If everything was the same I think 5k is probably the max difference I would pay between the two.

·
Registered
239 Posts
the 6.1 has a weak top piston ring if you ever wanted to supercharge it six to eight lbs of boost would be max the 6.4 on the other hand has a better bottom end and will handle a lot more boost. the 6.4 does as mentioned has better boost and torque both will serve you well just check to see what mods are out their for both to soot your needs good luck

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,363 Posts
The 6.1 is a good engine and many folks have run 6-8lbs of boost for many miles with no problems. Arrington sells a 12lbs Maggie System for a stock 6.1 but recommends adding a dual fuel pump, 17% overdrive pulley and 80lbs injectors to make sure you have enough fuel. Most of the problems ecountered early with supercharging the 6.1 engine were due to poor tuning. My son detonated his Magnum SRT8 because of tuning. The early GSM kits used piggy back computer systems vice the true CMR tuning we have today.

Please note that Arrington recommends a 6lb system on stock 392s and will go to 8-12lbs systems on a 392 only if it is forged (see below). Regardless of which way you go you are getting a great car. It's easier to mod the 6.1L engine now but the future belongs to the 5.7L, 6.4L and upcoming 6.2L Hellcat engines. Good luck with your decisions?

http://www.shophemi.com/c-1129-twin-screw-or-roots-style-superchargers.aspx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.