Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2012 mods for racing?

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Racer9 
#1 ·
I "might" be getting my mitts on a 2012 Challenger sxt cheap, it allegedly has a bad head gasket and 140k.
It will be a dedicated drag car.
I'm thinking a lower mileage swap is probably my best bet, what other mods can I do?
Higher stall converter and shift kit?
Tuner, which one?
I know if I straight pipe it there will be error codes, how to get rid of them? Or just bigger cats?
Do they make performance cams?
Anything else?
Thanks all.

#2 ·
Your dumping a ton of cash into an 3.6 that has the most limited design for HP.
TO make it anything Race Worthy you need a lot of mods and the Rear End Gearing alone
is going to keep it slow on the track.

Best you can do is unlock the PCM, Tune the Car with current engine or newer engine.
Of you want to start really doing something right ...

The Design is very limited without Forced induction or NOS the power max would be about 330hp
with a Tune at the Flywheel and maybe 280 to 285 at the Rear End.

No they do not make Performance Cams you would need 4 of which 2 intake and 2 exhaust no one makes them.
You should always research first before doing any modding.

#3 ·
"You should always research first before doing any modding."
That's what I'm doing. I ask here where people have done it, read the forums about it, and I search the 'net for other info.
So, let's say I drop a lower mileage motor in it, get a nitrous kit, find some better rear gears, unlock the PCM and get a tuner, where would I be then? Could I break 100 in the 1/4?
I saw that Prodigy stuff, a bit pricey!
I already saw where folks want to swap a Hemi in and how it's not a good idea.
I guess I could get an old school 340 and put in it.
I can get it for $2700, I might just swap the motor and flip it.
Plenty of options.

#4 ·
What are your emissions laws? You could get a cheap early junkyard 5.7 carb it and swap to a V8 Nag 1 transmission or the easier, 6 speed standard. Is there a manual valve body or controller for a Nag 1? A 6 speed manual, bellhousing, drive shaft and rear end from a R/T should also be used in a track car. The 3.6 has a weaker rear end. You will have to do some wiring work arounds. I was researching this with my 2010 SXT with the oil burning 3.5, I just took 11 grand for the trade when buying my 17 GT. The 3.6 is a good motor but as said, a 5+ grand Supercharger and tune are necessary to hit twelves in the 1/4 with a 3.6. Guys have gotten into the 13's NA. Good luck.

#8 ·
That's a nice video. I have a 5.7 with Comp 2 custom cam and long tubes. Mine did the dyno at a bit over 500 HP also. Seems like the newer gen 3 345's like cams and headers.

#6 ·
Not worried about emissions laws, track car only. I have my '18 SXT+ for driving. I'll run it a couple times, but it's too nice to beat up on the track.
I'm retiring next year and I'm looking to do a few things I don't have time for now, with my 60 hour work week. I know I'll be limited on cash a little, so I'm looking to pre-buy something so I have the large expenses out of the way, my labor on cars is an enjoyable hobby.
I found a '05 2wd hemi shortbed p/u for $3700 that might be a better choice. 185k, but I think it has more potential, for less cash. Maybe a '09 up hemi.
I should just finish the bodywork on my '81 D150 Cummins 4BTA and see what it'll do first. But I just HATE bodywork!!!
Right now I'm in the "what is my next project", and can I find a deal, phase.
Thanks for the info, I learned a few things.

#10 ·
But @Wingnutt always says "Don't do it. Get a V8. Been there done that." :p

#11 ·
But the car is sold, so...
The question is moot!

#15 ·
I've seen that. Bigger budget than I have!
I could still beat him, as long as I start before he gets it off the trailer!:LOL::ROFLMAO:
I dyno'd it at 165hp 488TQ with a different turbo. Stock is 120 hp. Have a video somewhere. I think it was a different trans too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.