Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I’m new to the site and have just purchased a 2012 Challenger RT Plus Header Orange with the 5.7. I’m researching to put a cold air intake on it and read somewhere the Mopar 77070044AD wasn’t meant for the 2012 you have to modify things. I think you remove the air intake silencer and may find the IAT sensor connector to be a bit short. Question is are any of you using the Mopar OEM style or something else. I do like that the kit offers everything right down to the new air box. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Any how I’m 0 for 2 tonight researching things. I was also lookin* for the RT specific section.
Thanks,
Michrick

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had JLT and no mods were necessary. The JLT was the highest rated CAI when I bought it and the lowest price. The people at JLT are very nice and will answer your question.

·
Premium Member
2015 sxt/rt 5.7 with scat pack kits 1 &2
2,333 Posts
Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m still searching for the Mopar OEM cold air setup PN 77070044AD When I check fitment it say not compatible with a 2012 RT Classic but it does fit a 2012 RT. Is there that much of a difference in the models?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,118 Posts
I’m still searching for the Mopar OEM cold air setup PN 77070044AD When I check fitment it say not compatible with a 2012 RT Classic but it does fit a 2012 RT. Is there that much of a difference in the models?
No difference in the engine compatment.

Reactions: mike t

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I have the 2010 R/T Classic and I bought the Cervini's Cold Air Intake Kit with the K&N Filter. The hood scoops on the R/T Classic are functional in that they are not fake (holes are open). They direct air to the engine compartment and allow water to drain into the compartment as well.
In 2015 the hood scoops are larger and moved somewhat forward on the hood.
The Cervini's has an Underhood Membrane arrangement that directs the air from the hood scoops to the air box and filter.
The air box has a large hole at the bottom that draws air from the lower extremities much like the stock box. I was told this enhances air flow during idle. I restricted it somewhat to maybe half it's size and I realized no loss in performance.
A concern was Hydrolock from water being introduced via the hood scoops. The membrane has depressions with weep holes that allow water to drain should that happen.
I traveled most of 192 miles from the Woodward Cruise to Ohio in heavy rains with no adverse effects. Unless you purposely shoot water into the scoops with a hose you should not have to worry.
As with any Cold Air Intake the HP gain is negligible; maybe 5HP; but the sound is a plus.
Also the Cervini's works well with Arrington's Supercharger.
Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

The membrane comes unpainted. I painted it a chrome color.
All-in-all my sons and I took about 2-1/2hrs to remove the hood, remove the insulation, layout the membrane, drill holes, spray paint the membrane, remove the stock air box, install the new box and filter, install the membrane after a 30min dry time of the spray paint, and finally install the hood.
Prior to getting the Kit I had removed the stock prop rod and installed the gas filled hood prop rods.
I think it sets off the underhood quite nicely.
There is no reason why this wouldn't work under the hood of a 2102 R/T Plus.
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Pretty much what mine looked like before the install (except the color).

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Reactions: bandit992

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the 2010 R/T Classic and I bought the Cervini's Cold Air Intake Kit with the K&N Filter. The hood scoops on the R/T Classic are functional in that they are not fake (holes are open). They direct air to the engine compartment and allow water to drain into the compartment as well.
In 2015 the hood scoops are larger and moved somewhat forward on the hood.
The Cervini's has an Underhood Membrane arrangement that directs the air from the hood scoops to the air box and filter.
The air box has a large hole at the bottom that draws air from the lower extremities much like the stock box. I was told this enhances air flow during idle. I restricted it somewhat to maybe half it's size and I realized no loss in performance.
A concern was Hydrolock from water being introduced via the hood scoops. The membrane has depressions with weep holes that allow water to drain should that happen.
I traveled most of 192 miles from the Woodward Cruise to Ohio in heavy rains with no adverse effects. Unless you purposely shoot water into the scoops with a hose you should not have to worry.
As with any Cold Air Intake the HP gain is negligible; maybe 5HP; but the sound is a plus.
Also the Cervini's works well with Arrington's Supercharger.
View attachment 286138
The membrane comes unpainted. I painted it a chrome color.
All-in-all my sons and I took about 2-1/2hrs to remove the hood, remove the insulation, layout the membrane, drill holes, spray paint the membrane, remove the stock air box, install the new box and filter, install the membrane after a 30min dry time of the spray paint, and finally install the hood.
Prior to getting the Kit I had removed the stock prop rod and installed the gas filled hood prop rods.
I think it sets off the underhood quite nicely.
There is no reason why this wouldn't work under the hood of a 2102 R/T Plus.
View attachment 286139
Pretty much what mine looked like before the install (except the color).
I also have the Cirvinis ram air intake on my 2009 R/T, love it, and have read a dyno report stating a 10 HP increase. Plus, I like your strut brace! I need one.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I also have the Cirvinis ram air intake on my 2009 R/T, love it, and have read a dyno report stating a 10 HP increase. Plus, I like your strut brace! I need one.
You can Google Moparsupercenter.com, or find them on FB.
I paid $309.65 for mine, it was long ago and I don't know what it goes for now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Somewhere I read the automatics should do the muffler delete and the manual resonator delete. But I can’t seem to find the post.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Somewhere I read the automatics should do the muffler delete and the manual resonator delete. But I can’t seem to find the post.
Technically what is being discussed is air intakes. The site we are on right now is for "General Discussions" but the Topic of air intakes would be better suited for the Challenger Mods Performance Site.
Your question can be better addressed in the Challenger Mods Performance Site dealing with the Model Challenger you own.
For instance in Challenger Mods Performance Mods-5.7L Hemi you will see the note beneath the heading of
Sub-forums,
You click on that and it will list Exhaust as a selection. Many posts there deal with your question.
Hope this helps! Lou.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts