Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I supercharged my Challenger.

Pretty big mod, at least for me. I went with a centrifugal supercharger, as advised by many forum members (special thanks to climberccm and beas62).

Below are links to some videos Tim and I took during the install.
Here is dyno run with the supercharger installed. Look at that lift! The car really wanted to jump out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L99RurrOERg

Here is a longer video, this time from the start to the finish. A bit different perspective, but you can really appreciate the lift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HRIbO544D0&index=2&list=HL1400633616

Here are the links to videos Tim took before and after the install:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICRs-TLu2Ik&list=UUWA5j8zSYOQLjyfyJBX4cpg&feature=share&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv6Q8vJ2umA&list=UUWA5j8zSYOQLjyfyJBX4cpg&feature=share

The bottom line is: WOW!

Look at the performance change. The car went from about 250 RWHP to 410 RWHP! And that is without any intercooler. The difference in performance is stunning. I am happy as a clam.

I am pretty sure that the above picture is the best evidence of what Tidalwave can do with a V6; I think Tim did a superior work on creating the kit for the V6. What is an icing on the cake is the way Tim interacted with me. First, he always responded to all my emails very quickly. Next, he came to my hotel to introduce himself, explained in detail what he will do, and took me through the install step by step. Everything was done on time, with no delays. After the install, he also advised me on how to keep everything in great shape. It was a fantastic experience for me; Tim is a very kind, friendly and courteous guy, and has been very patient with me (and my likely silly questions).

In other words, if you are looking for a great supercharger for your V6, and you want a royal treatment, Tidalwave Superchargers is a place to go. In case you are wondering, I do not work for Tim. :) I am simply impressed by his skills and demeanor. Hence my recommendation. :)

Also, please take a look at the original thread about a supercharger for the V6, as there is a lot of helpful discussion there:
http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101208

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Holy crap! 64% increase in HP whaaaaat :wow:

I'm gonna have to spread around some reps before I can hit ya again, but hot damn man that's awesome! :smileup:

·
Banned
473 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Sir! :smileup: Now that ride is as bad @$$ as it looks! (love your hood BTW)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the kind words, guys! :)

Please, keep in mind that I am very biased by the presence and the sound of the SC (the hiss of the blow-off valve is so captivating!), but I strongly recommend that mod. Whichever type of the SC you choose, I am sure you will be happy. I know it is rather expensive, but if you can do it, then do it; it is still cheaper than getting a turbo (unless they will come out with an affordable kit). And the fact that you get your car modded and built is also pleasing. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
HOW DARE YOU get yours done before me! Lol
I can't wait to share this excitement with you! Shipped out tuesday, can't wait for it to arrive! Congratulations man. Please keep us updated with fuel mileage readings. I'm very curious to see how badly the SC affects the V6 fuel economy! Premium fuel now from here on out for you yes/

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't wait to share this excitement with you! Shipped out tuesday, can't wait for it to arrive! Congratulations man. Please keep us updated with fuel mileage readings. I'm very curious to see how badly the SC affects the V6 fuel economy! Premium fuel now from here on out for you yes/
Hehe, I made a trip to VA Beach to get the kit sooner. :D Couldn't wait for the shipping (and thought that it would be better if Tim actually installed it, instead of some shop in my vicinity). Anyway, you will be happy, and grinning, and happy, and so on. Yes, premium fuel from now on, but I was using mid-grade before, so the price difference is not that bad.

As for the mpg, I will let you know. Just give me two or three fueling cycles. Right now, I am quite sure my economy suffers a lot, because it is hard not to step on the pedal whenever possible. The acceleration is exhilarating. :) On the other hand, my friend took his SRT to the track, and managed to get 2 (two) miles per gallon (!!!), so I am sure the supercharged V6 economy will be a tad better. ;)

Keep us posted on your progress. Post some pictures and videos when you get the kit. Congratulations on your new mod. You will love it! :woohoo:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Apparently it would be roughly a 9-10 hour trip for me to drive to Virginia Beach where Tim is located. I'm not sure if I want to have a shop do it or him. The thing is, if I have my local shop do it, and anything goes wrong (a rattle here, something loose there) they cover it under their warranty and fix it, no charge. If I make this incredibly long drive and have Tim do it, then half way home something is wrong, well...too damn bad.

I would prefer he do it because he knows what he's doing but.. I'm so torn lol. The amount of money spent on gas alone for this trip..idk

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
Congrats on supercharging your car, those are some pretty nice numbers too. If you get to the track make sure you let us know how you make out, very curious in how the car would do in the quartermile. :smileup:

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,555 Posts
Congratulations, Konrad! Can't wait to see it in person! :rep:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, that is too long. You are talking about a 3 day trip (10 hours drive, entire day for install, and again 10 hours back). I drove to VA Beach, as it is only 4 hours from me. Just get your shop do the install. If it is a trusty shop, you will have no problems. And if any issues appear later, they (or you) can talk to Tim and get the issue resolved.

Save the money for the gas and speeding tickets (hopefully not the latter). ;)

·
Banned
473 Posts
Yep, I also run premium exclusively now.

As far as MPG, it is possible to get as good or better while cruising - that's steady speed, no WOT. I've been on several long trips now and on secondary roads, my MPG actually went up - seems my best mileage is 30-32 MPG around 2K rpm or up to 65 MPH in 5th. At 70-75, it drops to 28-29. Mind you, this is near the coast, so altitude is not far above sea level.

It only takes a couple of WOT runs to throw that all to heck. On a recent 200 mile trip, I opened it up two or three times on the interstate and my average for the trip including a little city driving dropped to 25 MPG. Once the boost kicks in, it gets real thirsty. My suggestion is to not check the fuel economy for a bit because you'll be so addicted to pushing the fun pedal, you won't want to stop. Wait until you have a long road trip planned -- and have taken a few valium and yoga classes to calm you down. :D

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
70barcuda, bad8nti, thank you very much for kind words and the reps!

beas62, I think I also got about 32 mpg during my trip back. But since my normal mpg is around 22, I thought that I made the calculations wrong. But maybe not. :) In that case, it would be an additional advantage. Hell, even 25 mpg would be nice ;)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally, got some time to beautify the look of the air tube. :)

Here is the picture of the "before" tube:

And below are images of the new tube I assembled and painted:

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,555 Posts
Looking Good, Konrad! Sorry, gotta spread some Reps around!

·
Banned
473 Posts
Very nice job! I ended up using a 90 and 45 degree bend on mine. Much cleaner look. Reps in spirit!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts