Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Did you change your mufflers as well or just the reso delete. Sounds great by the way.

Reactions: Shanes13

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I have the reso deletes on my 2012 as well. Everything you point out is so true. Whisper quiet at highway speed, awesome deep tone at WOT - none of the rasp. Dollar for dollar my BB reso delete kit was the best money I spent on the car so far in terms of pure enjoyment! Plus because of the shift points and cruize rpms bands, no drone (unlike the auto 5-speeds). I love your vid - Reps!!!

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
Great vid! Can't beat the bang for the buck IMHO.... Did the same to mine last fall.... the sound constantly gets attention (positive) half the time I drive with the radio off just to listen to the exhaust....

·
Registered
26 Posts
To Challenger87, great video! I also have a 6speed with my 2010 RT classic.
Couple questions: Are the resonators the things that look like mufflers right at the rear of the car? Also is there any drone at all? At 1400rpm if you press the gas to accelerate a little will it drone? Hate the drone. Notice any performance gains?
Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
just reso delete, i bent and welded new pipes in their place
I did the same thing to mine about a year ago, assuming you mean the resonators in the back (someone once tried to tell me the resonators are in the middle).

At first, I didn't like it at all but, I've grown accustomed to it. There's a LOT of resonance ("drone") at 1000 & 2000 RPM so, I tend to avoid hanging around there too long.

I'll probably put them back on once I decide whether to try different mufflers.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
For 6-speeds you will hear drone between 1800-2200 rpms when you are at a steady throttle position. At highway speeds,(say 60-65) the 6-speeds tach at 1400-1450 rpm so you wont have any issue there. If you were in automatic, the 5th gear would be in the drone range - so if you are interested in reso deletes and have an auto-equipped Challenger, I would suggest trying a Blastin Bob's resonator delete kit that has the glasspacks built in. They are quieter than straight pipe but louder than the factory resonators. You can go to Blastin' Bob's website to check these out plus lots of YouTube videos out there to compare against.

My suggestion is to find someone in your area who has one and listen to it before you decide. Alternatively you can go to the internet and listen to different clips - however keep in mind most of those dont represent the deepest bass tones very well.

RichR - I am curious as to your comment about experiencing drone at only 1000 rpm. From all of the posts I have seen on the forum, plus my own experience with my cars and those of others on the forum I have heard firsthand, I have never seen a 1000 RPM drone issue in 6-speeds. Do you have some other exhaust mod in place that might be paired up with your delete to give you that problem?

Mikesrtclassic - Here are a couple of other threads on the topic

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101822

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95735

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94566

As you will see - there is no shortage of opinions :)

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
Great presentation!

·
Registered
575 Posts
RichR - I am curious as to your comment about experiencing drone at only 1000 rpm. From all of the posts I have seen on the forum, plus my own experience with my cars and those of others on the forum I have heard firsthand, I have never seen a 1000 RPM drone issue in 6-speeds. Do you have some other exhaust mod in place that might be paired up with your delete to give you that problem?
No, the system is all stock except for the straight pipes professionally bent and welded in place of the resonators.

Although my technical knowledge on the subject (harmonics) is quite limited, given that the system resonates at 2000 RPM, I'd be surprised if it didn't at 1000. And, as I said previously, it resonates a lot at both those points (and 4000, too, if I recall correctly). I can drive a passenger batty by maintaining 1000 or 2000 RPM for too long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont have drone at any speeds. Been Put on 400 miles since i did the reso delete a week ago and have yet to hear any drone.

And im well tuned into what drone is because before i bought the new 14 chally, i had a 2011 r/t with the auto, with straight pipes, and it was drone galore

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
none at all

·
Registered
389 Posts
I did the BB reso delete on a 2014 RT 6spd as well and as mentioned above drone is there around 1800-2200. Not the entire 400rpm of it but it is definitely engine temperature sensitive as to how bad and where it falls. I notice it more on cold starts.

I am guessing that the basic harmonics on the non BB versions account for the differences in where the drone falls. Gauge of the steel used, pipe size, angles of the bends, etc would all play into it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts