Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 Challenger SXT Plus. It had stock headlamps that I wanted to upgrade to HID. I took it to a fairly reputable installer recommended by the dealer to upgrade to HID.

My issue is that the low beam looks like high beam and vice versa. When I switch to high beam I just see the ground in front of me. With the low beam I see all the signs ahead of me on the road light up brighter. There is no focus on the ground in front of me with the low beams.

Now I'm not too sure how they did the conversion. Does anyone know if any wire splicing would have had to be involved? They used the H13 bulb and told me it's the same bulb for high/low beam, it just 'moves' when you switch to brights to get repositioned. I'm thinking if any splicing was involved they may have wired it backwards.

When I'm looking at the headlamp directly, on low beam it appears to be coming from the 'bottom' of the headlamp and on high beam it appears to come from the 'top'. When I focus the beam on a garage door or wall at dusk, it looks like the high beam focal point is a few inches lower than the low beam focal point (brightest point of the beam). Anyone else with HIDs have the same effect as me?

Also, anyone with stock HIDs, do you know if the headlamp assembly is different to accommodate the stock HID bulbs and project the light differently? I'm thinking it's possible this may be my problem as well (if it's not a wiring issue).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you get a bi-xenon HID kit? If not chances are your (new) lights are simply a HID bulb for low beams and a halogen for the high beam. Keep in mind if this is in fact the setup the high beam is just there for show. I would also consider retrofitting projectors into your headlamp housings. The projector focuses the beam and doesn't create the scattering effect your halogen housing does. I am currently retrofitting my headlamps with projectors.

Check this out...if you have questions pm me.
http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?p=966960#post966960

·
Registered
20 Posts
It all depends on the kit you had installed. Most bi-xenon kits just have a bulb that moves or a shield that moves changing where the light is directed for low and high beam. The installer may have just wired it up backwards. Even the factory hid's on the 14's don't actually have separate bulbs for low and high. They just move up and down depending on the position of the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It all depends on the kit you had installed. Most bi-xenon kits just have a bulb that moves or a shield that moves changing where the light is directed for low and high beam. The installer may have just wired it up backwards. Even the factory hid's on the 14's don't actually have separate bulbs for low and high. They just move up and down depending on the position of the dimmer switch.
Yes you were right. They had the kit wired backwards (high power on low beam and vice versa). I got them to fix it. Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it.

It was pretty ridiculous that the car was there twice and they didn't fix this issue when I pointed it out to them. They had the lights aimed correctly but the high/low was reversed (how could they not notice this??)

Edit: I had taken it to Ziebart, suggested by my dealer for the HIDs. I had them do a few other things. They screwed up royally on the paint job, creating TONS of swirl marks. I'd recommend not going to these guys if you love your car. I gave them a ranting review on yelp for my particular Ziebart location.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts