Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there been anybody else with an oil pump issue? Dealer said oil pump needs to be replaced for $1500 but it should be under the 100,000 mile warranty. Has anybody delt with this?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,567 Posts
Has there been anybody else with an oil pump issue? Dealer said oil pump needs to be replaced for $1500 but it should be under the 100,000 mile warranty. Has anybody delt with this?
Welcome from AZ, I can't say I remember anybody with oil pump issues. Yes it should be covered under the powertrain warranty unless there are other conditions that may have caused it.

Reactions: 2014 challenger

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,857 Posts
Did the dealer say why the pump needed to be replaced, I mean offer any details? Low oil pressure? Noise? Leaking?

Oil pump problems are very rare. The oil pump is just a gear driven pump and about as simple as they come.

Failures if they occur probably come down to a defective component, a gear tooth breaks or something. If the pump has helical gear teeth -- these are quieter -- and if the pump's thrust control bearing fails the pump gears can cause excessive wear of the housing and this increases the clearance between the sides of the gears and the pump housing which lowers the pump's efficiency.

·
Premium Member
12,627 Posts
I hope this has not caused any other issues. I would at a minimum have your oil analysis done by one of the several companies that offer this service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the dealer say why the pump needed to be replaced, I mean offer any details? Low oil pressure? Noise? Leaking?

Oil pump problems are very rare. The oil pump is just a gear driven pump and about as simple as they come.

Failures if they occur probably come down to a defective component, a gear tooth breaks or something. If the pump has helical gear teeth -- these are quieter -- and if the pump's thrust control bearing fails the pump gears can cause excessive wear of the housing and this increases the clearance between the sides of the gears and the pump housing which lowers the pump's efficiency.
losing oil pressure....wont go over 3000 rpm...oil was changed regularly....just trying to find out if this is a common prob......the dealer said something to the fact of wanting receipts of past oil changes to qualify for the 100,000 mile warranty .....who keeps those? NOT ME....

·
Now that was dumb!
6,014 Posts
losing oil pressure....wont go over 3000 rpm...oil was changed regularly....just trying to find out if this is a common prob......the dealer said something to the fact of wanting receipts of past oil changes to qualify for the 100,000 mile warranty .....who keeps those? NOT ME....
First of all I'll hopefully give you some good advice.

#1) Have the Dealer (if it was an FCA Dealer you purchased the car from.) change your oil and keep all receipts! And I mean ALL! The Dealer will provide you with a paper trail of proof of service. Important for warranty purposes.

#2) Keep a log if you change the oil. If you pay someone else to do it SAVE THE RECEIPT! Also save any receipts on oil purchased hopefully with a date. Date of purchases and day you changed Oil in your maintenance log. Use the proper Oil as suggested by the manufacturer. Then there is no hassle with what you put into your challenger.

#3) I use this sight religiously. Dodge and your Dealer will track your maintenance for you! Positive proof!
It's painless to create an account. When applicable this is proof that any service you have done by your Dealer is done properly and in a timely manner. My advice to anyone purchasing a new Challenger is have the dealer do the service.
And save your receipts!

https://www.mopar.com/dodge/en-us.html?pid=own&adid=ewelcome2017&sid=dodge&channel=e_direct

If you're relying on a warranty, go with positive proof.

#4) If you change your Oil you need receipts and proof that the service was done properly. We've seen instances when some owners have changed their rear end lubricant. Rear end failed. Warranty work was refused because the single word "hypoid" was not included in the contents or chemical makeup of the lubricant that they substituted. Read the manual.

Protect yourself!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,857 Posts
I've been around cars since I was a kid and for around 20 years worked on cars -- mainly my own -- and some of this time had the counsel/guidance of professional auto mechanics and participated in engine rebuilds even doing 2 on my own.

In my experience oil pump failures are very rare. If there is any problem in that area more often it is due to a bad oil pressure relief valve that has failed -- the spring that holds it closed has failed and allows the valve to open at a lower pressure than it would otherwise, or the valve has failed to close completely.

Most often if an oil pump suffers from some outright failure it is a bad component that fails due to some defect in the material.

Last the oil pump can be taken out if there is a mechanical failure elsewhere in the engine.

Loosing oil pressure is/could be a bad oil pump. Or a stuck open pressure relief valve. Or a severe internal engine oil leak that lets oil leak out of a high pressure supply oil galley.

Won't go over 3K... that's an ambiguous behavior. Could be the engine controller is enforcing some RPM limit -- "limp mode" -- due to insufficient oil pressure but I've never heard of any auto maker doing this at least for low oil pressure. Some will -- it is claimed I've never tested this -- limit engine speed and shut down cylinders in some order to avoid engine overheating if the coolant (or maybe oil temperature) goes too high. (Supposedly this was the case with my 2002 Boxster engine but I can tell you that when I hit some road debris outside of Strong City KS late one night and knew I had busted the driver side radiator I didn't attempt to nurse the engine but coasted to a slow down and shut off the engine and being without a cell phone at that time had to flag down as it so happened a big rig and the driver graciously allowed me to call AAA for a tow truck to take the car into Wichita KS for repairs.)

If your car's engine has VVT a lack of sufficient oil pressure could affect VVT operation and this could limit engine speed.

And a lack of oil pressure could result in valve lifters not functioning properly -- they rely on oil pressure to help keep them charged with oil and oil with no air in it -- and this limits engine speed.

I'm not saying the oil pump didn't fail understand. I mean while oil pump failure is rare -- and thank the auto Gods for that -- this doesn't mean it can't happen. An engine is only as strong as its weakest part, and this can be a valve head to valve stem weld, a rod bolt, a rod, the crankshaft, a cam chain link, and so on. In that list of course is "oil pump" and the parts that make up that assembly.

Don't mean to kick you while you are down but the lack of oil change "proof" could be a serious problem. I have not read the fine print for the 100K mile drive train warranty -- I don't even know if my 2018 Hellcat comes with one -- but if proof of servicing is one of the requirements to keep the warranty in effect, you could be in deep doo doo.

Something to keep in mind though is that the engine would have likely suffered signs of oiling problems in other areas of the engine. I have very limited experience with engines with oil problems but it is a good one, or bad one depending upon one's point of view. Years ago I rode a CB750 Honda. Year 'round, this in the SF bay area. The winter of 1971 was a real nasty winter, rain all the time, and because I had no place to work on the motorcycle I let the go. I was too dumb to take the motorcycle to a shop for service. The oil degraded enough to the point a cam lobe went flat. (The oil used in air cooled motorcycle engines is pretty good oil but it has to be to protect the engine and it needs to be changed. Regularly. I did change it regularly up until I didn't and it cost me a CB750 engine top end rebuild.)

My point is you can try to argue that an oil pump failure is not a sign of lack of proper oil servicing but you might face a very non-receptive audience. The dealer (factory really) could very well be on solid ground in denying your warranty claim based on the lack of proof of proper servicing.

As an aside and for the benefit of others -- and this is what I have done in the past -- when I serviced my own vehicles -- is I save the oil purchase receipt, the oil filter purchase receipt. When I changed the oil I'd tear off the oil filter box top and on the underside write the date, mileage I changed the oil and put this along with the oil and filter receipts in a folder/file that held all the paperwork associated with the vehicle.

In the case of my Boxster with its 15K mile oil/30K mile oil filter service schedule, I'd change the oil/filter at 5K miles myself then at the 15K miles mark I'd book the car in with the dealer service department for this oil service. The dealer service manager did not believe in adhering to the 30K mile filter change schedule but believed it should be changed at the same time the oil was changed and I agreed so the filter was changed at every 15K mile oil service.

I did this all the time the car was under its 4 year, 50K mile warranty.

With my new Hellcat I have had the oil/filter service done now two times both times at the dealer. (The price is hard to beat: $79 the one at ~500 miles, $89 for the one at ~2000 miles.) Even if I had a place to do the work the dealer takes about an hour to do this while I sit in the customer lounge BS'ing with other Dodge owners, sipping coffee, surfing the web, emailing and such.

Well, this is long enough I think to keep my word count high. Let me close by hoping it all works out for you and the 100K mile warranty covers the oil pump and any collateral damage that might have occurred due to insufficient oil pressure/supply or the pump shedding debris and that somehow made it past the oil filter.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If the failure is oil related ie gunked up nasty sludgy the factory WILL require oil change receipts so YES KEEP THEM ALL!! If they are not done by the dealer looking at it for the potential warranty repair

1 - 12 of 12 Posts