Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone created a list of mods for the 5.7 that includes cost, expected HP gain, and possible sources? I am trying to make up my mind what mod to do first, and wondered if there was anything already completed that would aid my research. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
22,643 Posts
Kind of depends where you want to end up from a performance level stand point. If you want big gains you are looking at Super charging, Nitrous, stroker motor etc. If you just want modest gains at a lower price scale then I'd start with a tuner, a set of SRT exhaust manifolds (prob 6 HP), maybe a CAI (cold air intake) at around 3-10 HP. A cat back exhaust system might get you another 3-5 Hp but would be more for the sound than anything.

A gear change to 3.73 or 3.92 with factory gears or after market gears of 3.23 and 3.55 are also available. A higher stall converter is also a possibility. You can also add a larger throttle body for probably a few more HP (see Hemifever in the vendor section for more info and dyno sheets on these).

That should get you going with a few ideas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool... Thanks for the info, I want to keep the car street able, so I plan to go with the CIA and the sound needs some help, I just want to hear some for real before I make that purchase! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
22,643 Posts
Cool... Thanks for the info, I want to keep the car street able, so I plan to go with the CIA and the sound needs some help, I just want to hear some for real before I make that purchase! Thanks for the info!
Yep I'd say CAI and cat back exhaust are probably the most common first mods and if you go that route I'd probably also go with a Diablo tuner to add a bit more to the package. There are a ton of CAI's out there, I had a Mopar CAI on my R/T before trading it and I was fairly happy with it, but probably one of the most respected (from a performance standpoint) CAI are those made by LMI (Legmaker). They are available from several vendors here and come in different configurations.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
whatever you do make sure on eof your first purchases is a catch can. Wont help HP numbers, but it will extend your engine life!

·
12,989 Posts
All good advice on the above posts.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Here ya go...

In a "mis-guided" effort to avoid the gas guzzler tax, some brilliant fob tucked away in a design cave somewhere came up with the glorious idea of trying to improve gas mileage ratings by locking out 2nd and 3rd gear under certain conditions. They call it the Computer Aided Gear System (CAGS). The basic premise is in 6-spd cars when the operating temperature is above a certain level (I think 180 degrees), AND you are at 1/4 throttle or less, AND you are shifting out of first between 18 and 21 MPH, the transmission will force you to shift from 1st directly to 4th - automatically bypassing 2nd and 3rd gears by locking them out. What you feel when driving is the car wont go into gear if you try 2nd or 3rd. By doing this its supposed to get you to a higher and more fuel efficient gear more quickly.

The practicality is its a pain because you get into a shifting rhythm of 1 to 2, then 2 to 3, etc, and its suddenly interrupted when you happen to hit the right combination of conditions. Many people react by looking down at the tranny as if somethings wrong - taking your eyes away from the road. And if you are trying to time your merge into traffic or into a turn it will disrupt that causing you to not accelerate as intended which may actually bring you into closer proximity to a nearby car - i.e., a dangerous aspect some people talk about. Think of it this way - what would happen if your regular car started to stall when you where trying to do a merge acceleration into heavy traffic? Your car would slow and instead of blending smoothly into the traffic opening, the guy you were trying to get in front of will suddenly come too close or even clip you. That's the unintended consequence of this feature.

I agree with all who say getting a skip shift eliminator is the way to go. I paid about $13 for mine, and it took longer for me to get the car up on ramps and chocked than it did to crawl underneath and install it. Very simple and easy to do.

Go for it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the info...you have a great way with words. So this is something done by Dodge and it would be easier to shift the way I want normally by getting the eliminator...

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Thanks for the info...you have a great way with words. So this is something done by Dodge and it would be easier to shift the way I want normally by getting the eliminator...
Don't waste your time or $$ on a eliminator most likely you are thinking a tuner anyway which will disable the skip shift anyway.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Yes - a skip shift eliminator would solve it. Its very inexpensive and easy to do - Can probably find it for around $15.

Don't waste your time or $$ on a eliminator most likely you are thinking a tuner anyway which will disable the skip shift anyway.
Huh??? A skip shift eliminator is $15. A tuner is multiple hundreds. So how do you figure that as a waste of money? It would be a waste to spend hundreds on a tuner if all you want to do was disable the skip-shift. If you are going to be buying a tuner for other reasons, then you can use the tuner to disable it - that much I agree with. But buying a tuner just to disable a skip-shift and nothing else?...just doesnt add up....

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Yes - a skip shift eliminator would solve it. Its very inexpensive and easy to do - Can probably find it for around $15.

Huh??? A skip shift eliminator is $15. A tuner is multiple hundreds. So how do you figure that as a waste of money? It would be a waste to spend hundreds on a tuner if all you want to do was disable the skip-shift. If you are going to be buying a tuner for other reasons, then you can use the tuner to disable it - that much I agree with. But buying a tuner just to disable a skip-shift and nothing else?...just doesnt add up....
Sorrys thats just what I meant basically plan your mods in other words I have seen someone order both at same time skip shift and tuner thats where the wasting money comes into play. If you know this month say catch can. cai and skip shift but next month I get tuner best just to hold on it.
:smileup:

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Sorrys thats just what I meant basically plan your mods in other words I have seen someone order both at same time skip shift and tuner thats where the wasting money comes into play. If you know this month say catch can. cai and skip shift but next month I get tuner best just to hold on it.
:smileup:

ahhhh - gotcha! That I agree with!!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yep I'd say CAI and cat back exhaust are probably the most common first mods and if you go that route I'd probably also go with a Diablo tuner to add a bit more to the package. There are a ton of CAI's out there, I had a Mopar CAI on my R/T before trading it and I was fairly happy with it, but probably one of the most respected (from a performance standpoint) CAI are those made by LMI (Legmaker). They are available from several vendors here and come in different configurations.
This. Best Mods to get first.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
whatever you do make sure on eof your first purchases is a catch can. Wont help HP numbers, but it will extend your engine life!
QFT!. A catch can is a must.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you get or plan on getting a tuner, do not get a skip shift eliminator, waste of money as the tuner can disable it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What is the "drone" sound in a new exhaust system I keep hearing not to have, and what exhaust product typically has it...? Thanks
You generally hear it around 2K RPM. If you don't want to spend 1K plus on a catback right away, I say go with Blastin Bobs Straight pipe Reso delete for only 100 dollars. It is a cheap Mod and sounds great for us with the six speed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts