Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Who is responsible To pay for the damage

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my 2014 Dodge Challenger RT in to the dealership to have three open recalls taken care of. Drop the car off on Monday and they said they would have it in by Wednesday to check it out. Got a call on Wednesday stating that yes all three recalls would be taken care of and that thr alternator had to be special ordered because they did not have one in stock. On Friday they call me and tell me that while they were bringing the car into the shop it caught fire and burned. so I go down check it out and looks and appears that the fire originated near or at the alternator and it’s also stated in the recall for the alternator that it is possible to catch fire. Fast forward today I was informed by FCA customer care that their investigation Has made a decision This was not due to manufacture defect and the corporate Chrysler would not be liable for my car. Was also informed that the dealership would not be liable for my car. Insurance company says thousand dollar deductible they will pay for whatever damages done with the fire started at the alternator and they will not pay for the alternator itself with everything else subsequent to that. So very frustrating has anybody else have this any problems like this with the alternator or your car catching on fire?

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,391 Posts
That was the reason for the recall! Print out the recall if you don't have the recall letter and give it to your insurance agent, take lots of photos, and make sure the insurance adjuster personally examines the damage. Your agency should have attorneys available to deal with something like this.

BTW, my recall didn't catch fire, but it took them four alternators, one PCM, one battery and six months to resolve it.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,486 Posts
The dealership should be responsible.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
49,625 Posts
Why does it seem like there is more to this story that is left out.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
On the surface FCA is responsible, with an assist from the dealer. The recall was to among other things address the risk of a fire arising from a faulty alternator. The dealer showed a distinct lack of care in knowing the car was in for this recall running the engine/driving the car at all. It should have treated the car like a bomb that could go off any second and pushed the car into the service bay.

Take the recall notice details to the consumer fraud office in your area and lay out the what has gone down. Have the denial of responsibility by FCA and the dealer with you.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
The dealership had assumed total responsibility of your car to do this work, unless you signed a waiver absolving them of any responsibility? Electrical fires with all the computers in a Challenger could cause one failure after another, get a lawyer, I don't usually ever suggest suing, but I think you have a case, if you did not sign a waiver that is.

By the way in some states a waiver doesn't mean a thing, I guarantee you they just hope you'll be OK with it, but I cannot stress enough the after effects of an electrical fire with the car battery still connected, any short can send electricity directly to an onboard computer like the ECM, BCM, EBS, TPMS, etc., you have many computers running that car.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The dealership had assumed total responsibility of your car to do this work, unless you signed a waiver absolving them of any responsibility? Electrical fires with all the computers in a Challenger could cause one failure after another, get a lawyer, I don't usually ever suggest suing, but I think you have a case, if you did not sign a waiver that is.

By the way in some states a waiver doesn't mean a thing, I guarantee you they just hope you'll be OK with it, but I cannot stress enough the after effects of an electrical fire with the car battery still connected, any short can send electricity directly to an onboard computer like the ECM, BCM, EBS, TPMS, etc., you have many computers running that car.
I do not have any handy to refer to but IIRC the fine print on the paperwork one signs to book the car in for anything pretty much absolves the dealer any responsibility for anything happening to your car while at the dealer.

However, you are still owed a reasonable degree of skill, experience, and care for your car and any work it receives.

In the OP's case I don't think he received this.

And the recall already states one reason for the recall is the risk of fire so in this case the factory has in some way and to some degree assumed responsibility.

While I'm not going to scream lawyer up I would in this case recommend the OP at least consult with a lawyer to learn the best way to approach getting this resolved to his satisfaction. I have found in the past that just an hour's time talking with a lawyer and me taking notes goes is a big help in me getting an issue resolved.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
BTW, my recall didn't catch fire, but it took them four alternators, one PCM, one battery and six months to resolve it.
Would you mind elaborating on your situation with the year included, this alternator catching fire is quite a concern?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
There is also the possibility someone screwed up and caused the fire while working on it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Would you mind elaborating on your situation with the year included, this alternator catching fire is quite a concern?
In my case the alternator quit charging the battery which turns a Challenger into a beautiful piece of non-functional art. On another forum there is a blow by blow thread detailing my entire experience as it happened. I believe it all started back in 2016. The entire fiasco started while I was at the dealership buying my wife's Challenger as a surprise for her. After I had completed the purchase, I got in my Shaker to go pick her up and the battery light came on. This happened right before the recall was announced. Anyhow, I was told it was a warranty repair, so I took the new Challenger to go pick her up and come back to get my Shaker. About week later the battery light came on again, so I took it back in, they put a second alternator in it, and the mechanic who had actually done the work told me that the recall had just been announced, and the fact that no upgraded alternators were available to perform the recall. In my case fire was not an issue because the alternator was making no voltage. If you go on the other forum (I have the same handle as here) you can do a search for the thread and read the rest of the story.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I can’t believe the dealer won’t admit responsibility. Whether you sign a waiver or not, it was in their possession and they were working on it when it caught fire. Your insurance will have to settle with the dealer’s insurance but you will have to go through your insurance. It may have to go to mediation but you need to insist the dealer is responsible. You were not even present when it happened.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
In my case the alternator quit charging the battery which turns a Challenger into a beautiful piece of non-functional art. On another forum there is a blow by blow thread detailing my entire experience as it happened. I believe it all started back in 2016. The entire fiasco started while I was at the dealership buying my wife's Challenger as a surprise for her. After I had completed the purchase, I got in my Shaker to go pick her up and the battery light came on. This happened right before the recall was announced. Anyhow, I was told it was a warranty repair, so I took the new Challenger to go pick her up and come back to get my Shaker. About week later the battery light came on again, so I took it back in, they put a second alternator in it, and the mechanic who had actually done the work told me that the recall had just been announced, and the fact that no upgraded alternators were available to perform the recall. In my case fire was not an issue because the alternator was making no voltage. If you go on the other forum (I have the same handle as here) you can do a search for the thread and read the rest of the story.
We had a 1997 Cadillac Deville and if you changed the alternator in that car and did not put a brand new battery in it at the same time, the alternator would shortly die again, weirdest thing I have ever experienced. Cadillac mechanics I had talked to said it was a common issue with those years? Why, they did not know, that car turned into a money pit and we got rid of it as soon as we could. I'm hoping our Challengers are not a repeat performance, that is why I asked.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
We had a 1997 Cadillac Deville and if you changed the alternator in that car and did not put a brand new battery in it at the same time, the alternator would shortly die again, weirdest thing I have ever experienced. Cadillac mechanics I had talked to said it was a common issue with those years? Why, they did not know, that car turned into a money pit and we got rid of it as soon as we could. I'm hoping our Challengers are not a repeat performance, that is why I asked.
The battery was replaced after the third alternator.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
568 Posts
1st post, trolling??
I also become suspicious when someone cruises in ... makes ONE post ... and then doesn't stay engaged in the conversation.

Could be legit .... but it does make you wonder.

·
Registered
2018 Billet SXT Plus
20 Posts
Recall is pretty self explanatory...

"
The alternator on about 442,000 of the above vehicles may experience diode
thermal fatigue failure due to cyclical loads induced by EHPS. When the diodes
fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may
lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive
short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the
alternator"

I would be all over FCA if it were my car.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Maybe they left it running for too long and it got too hot and caught fire? You just don’t know the circumstances under which it happened.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts