Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a total noob on this stuff so be kind :). I am trying to learn more about my stock exhaust. Which parts are which...resonators vs mufflers etc. i cant find a good online source describing or showing it. Can anyone help me out? Here is a shot of the underside of mine today...100% stock.

I am considering a reso delete and am getting some estimates. There seems to be some confusion by these muffler shop guys as to which can is a reso vs a muffler and I am no help right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I am a total noob on this stuff so be kind :). I am trying to learn more about my stock exhaust. Which parts are which...resonators vs mufflers etc. i cant find a good online source describing or showing it. Can anyone help me out? Here is a shot of the underside of mine today...100% stock.

I am considering a reso delete and am getting some estimates. There seems to be some confusion by these muffler shop guys as to which can is a reso vs a muffler and I am no help right now.
The mufflers are in the middle of the car, they are much smaller then the rear resonators and are a lot less restrictive. Don't let anyone tell you the mufflers are in the rear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Let's start at the back, bolted and spot welded rectangular tips at bumper,
The two horrible large resonators, filling the whole cavity behind rear tire in lower quarter panel.
Then round mufflers, them catalytic converters, and finally exhaust manifolds.

Go on blasting bobs site and see resonator delete kit, which I have, it's just straight pipes professionally bent and flared to replace your pipes from rear axle to tips. Cost $116 ships to house ups.

You can do it in driveway in 45 minutes, sounds like a beast

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mufflers are in the middle of the car, they are much smaller then the rear resonators and are a lot less restrictive. Don't let anyone tell you the mufflers are in the rear.
That is what I thought based on my reading here but i had two different shops argue with me. Thats one thing i hate about cars....mechanics that are full of BS.

Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's start at the back, bolted and spot welded rectangular tips at bumper,
The two horrible large resonators, filling the whole cavity behind rear tire in lower quarter panel.
Then round mufflers, them catalytic converters, and finally exhaust manifolds.

Go on blasting bobs site and see resonator delete kit, which I have, it's just straight pipes professionally bent and flared to replace your pipes from rear axle to tips. Cost $116 ships to house ups.

You can do it in driveway in 45 minutes, sounds like a beast
Any special considerations or tools required?

I love this forum. :smileup::smileup::smileup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
These shops are more used to camaros, those giant cans visable under camaros ass are the mufflers and the small round things forward are resonators, totally opposite of challenger

You need pipe cutter, or electric or battery sawzall, not everyone has one, corded one at harbor freight for 19 bucks to cut pipe. Unbolt tips, lightly twist till spot weld breaks, remove both sides with socket and ratchet.
Move rubber isolator so from old to new hangers, put bobs pipes in place, tighten most if the way, bolt on tips, line everything up then tighten
Comes with good instructions,

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is it not better to leave your R/T totaly stock?I know its makes it sound like a meaner beast but I was brought up leaving cars stock if you wanted to retain value..Am I wrong?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is it not better to leave your R/T totaly stock?I know its makes it sound like a meaner beast but I was brought up leaving cars stock if you wanted to retain value..Am I wrong?
Well, he can just keep the stock exhaust and always have it rewelded back on. Either that or swap exhaust with someone else. My 2012 v6 charger had a super 44 and reso delete and quad exit tips, and when I went to give it to my mom for her to use as as daily driver, I found someone else with a v6 charger and we went to the exhaust shop, and they simply cut from the mid muffler to the tips from each and swapped them., I got a stock exhaust, and he got a super 44 flowmaster with reso delete and aftermarket tips. Everyone's happy

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
Blastin Bob's reso delete kit = BIG GRIN!!!!!! Trust us!!!!!

·
Banned
473 Posts

My exhaust looks exactly the same as yours. I don't know about the pipe diameter though.

Anyway, when I had the same question, I went to mopar.com. Here's a diagram. #9 is sold as "resonator and pipe".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts