Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could identify the stock exhaust system I have under my SXT? It looks an awful lot like the SRT8 system???) It has an "X" pipe past the cats (two down pipes), two tube shaped resonators, those outs split to what looks like typical stock mufflers, then to the tips. I have gone onto several Mopars parts sites and the diagrams for my Chally do not represent what is under this SXT? Bought this car brand new. Something doesn't add up? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
283 Posts
First, what you called resonators are actually the mufflers (low restrictive tube mufflers), and what you called mufflers (on either side of the gas tank) are the resonators.

I have a 2012 SXT with the SST package, and the exhaust system you describe sounds like mine. I believe it is similar to the SRT, but I think the SRT has 2.5" or even 3" pipes, whereas we have 2.25"pipes, and the inside of the SRT's resonators is less restrictive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2014 SXT Super Sport Exhaust

Hey Thanks RnR. Excellent info.

I'm waiting for the wife to drive it so that I can hear what the system sounds like. (she swears once she drives it though it becomes hers)
It kinda has a bit of a "rumble" if you will. Sounds, well, like a V6 would sound with the SRT8 system sans the diameter? I only have 600 miles on it so the system hasn't really been pushed. (I followed the break-in schedule)

Because the Chally is more of a daily driver for me I wanted to make sure that I get the right components to give it a bit more growl.

By the way, in the twisty's I have taken in SS mode this car is like riding on rails. It's better than my 2007 Audi A4 with quatrro. This car is a hoot to drive, so glad I bought it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
*pokes head in*
When you say taking the twisties in 'super sport mode', are you talking about pushing the 'Sport Mode' button in the car? Or is this a feature I just don't have? I have a 2013 Rallye Redline, which has a sport mode. Wasn't sure if thats what your referring to?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm pretty sure the exhausts are all the same. My base model SXT has the exact same exhaust yours has. The duals are the standard now.

Before you change the exhaust, I suggest listening to a lot of videos and sound clips. Most aftermarket exhaust sounds like crap on these cars. And, if you remove the resonators (from the rear of the car) you will get a lot of interior drone and noise.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm pretty sure the exhausts are all the same. My base model SXT has the exact same exhaust yours has. The duals are the standard now.

Before you change the exhaust, I suggest listening to a lot of videos and sound clips. Most aftermarket exhaust sounds like crap on these cars. And, if you remove the resonators (from the rear of the car) you will get a lot of interior drone and noise.
The Man speaks the truth , I know this from experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey James, yup I have the sport button on the upper console. It's supposed to according to the manual, tighten up the suspension and steering, i would say it does that. And the upgraded brakes are top notch too.

This afternoon I was presented a chance to take a really nice long left hander, speed limit posted 45. the car was smooth as glass at 85 in the outside lane without out turning on the SS mode. Wonder what it will do with the magic button pushed in!!!!!

And as far as the Exhaust sound goes. I can live with it. I like the quiet idle. I would prefer a killer stereo without the rumble. In my home studio I use JBL exclusively to monitor. Now if B&W made car speakers.... anyways, updating the speakers to JBL GTO's this spring. The 430 stereo is awesome. Just have to figure out how to wire up the sub in the rear deck? Wonder if the sub wire is there already Hmmm "?" for another forum.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
887 Posts
As for the Sport mode on the SXT, I don't think it tightens up the suspension, despite what the manual says. As far as I know, suspension changes are only happening in the SRT models (where you have also the Track option). The "only" thing that the Sport button does is changing the shift points. But man, what a difference it is. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
new to the forum but I would like to know what exhaust you would recomend for a sxt sinister model and I have the same sport mode on my car also and the other question I have for everyone out there is what is the recomened break in time before seeing what this beast really can do

·
Registered
73 Posts
Me too TGO...put a Flowmaster system on my car, and it was too quiet. Removed the rear resonators and it drones moans too much. Because I want to keep the quad round tips, I am thinking of adding a smaller Flowmaster Super10 series muffler (the muffler body is only 6" long). I'm hoping that this will tone it down without silencing the exhaust completely.

·
Silent Service
269 Posts
The drone issue is the main reason I am going with the Flowmaster Force II system. With the 2 rear resonators there is no drone but a nice level of added outside tone. To be installed first of next week. There is one really good video on YT with the Force II system on a black SXT. I can say it sounds much better on a Challenger. It is far too quiet on a Charger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks for the suggestions I really like the borla exhaust but they dont make one for the sxt models yet the only one that is offered is the 1 in and 2 out which I dont want to resort to that rather just have the two mufflers

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you don't have a brand preference, Flowmaster, Borla, Solo, Zoomers or Magnaflow are great choices. I have a Magnaflow setup (cat-back system), and I love it. There was some drone at the beginning, but after couple of months it's got very smooth. If you don't want to go with a full system, an another idea to get Blastin Bobs or Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers. They sound great.

·
Banned
473 Posts
If you don't have a brand preference, Flowmaster, Borla, Solo, Zoomers or Magnaflow are great choices. I have a Magnaflow setup (cat-back system), and I love it. There was some drone at the beginning, but after couple of months it's got very smooth. If you don't want to go with a full system, an another idea to get Blastin Bobs or Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers. They sound great.
Sorry if I missed it, but did you post a video of the Magnaflow setup somewhere? I like what I've read about Magnaflow, but haven't had a chance to hear a full cat back setup.

·
Banned
473 Posts
The only videos I have are from the dyno pulls, but it's really hard to judge the exhaust sound from those.
If you want to try it, though, here is one:
http://youtu.be/2HRIbO544D0?t=14s
Thanks!
Yeah, nice and deep on start up, but I don't think we can get a real feel for it from the dyno. I'm definitely intrigued though.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thanks!
Yeah, nice and deep on start up, but I don't think we can get a real feel for it from the dyno. I'm definitely intrigued though.
I love it. Definitely a deep sound, and no farty noises at higher RPMs (Solo's exhaust are a bit too farty in my opinion). Not that loud, either. Definitely not as much as Borla, for example. You can probably get a more throaty or growling exhausts (Blastin Bobs or Zoomers), but from what I've heard, Magnaflow got the most balanced package. :) There was some drone at the beginning, but after couple of months it was gone. I have the exhaust for more than a year now, and it purrs very nicely. :D

·
Silent Service
269 Posts
I had the Force II system installed yesterday. Just what I was looking for. Much lower tone, not much more noise on the inside (zero drone) the cabin but a nice level outside, especially on throttle. It has a smooth sound to it and under normal driving you can hear the individual exhaust pulses.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts