Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there! I've recently undertaken an arduino project in which I'm attempting to transplant a 2015 Challenger cluster into a 1977 Celica (Happy to provide pics if anyones interested).

The plan is for the arduino to supply the signals and canbus data the cluster requires, how ever I'm finding it quite difficult to figure out the required data for the cluster. The only thing I've figured out so far is controlling the fuel gauge. I was hoping that someone here would be willing to provide to me a capture of their can bus data? I only have a cluster and no access to a challenger. I'm also ok with data being omitted like Vin ect.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for taking the time to read the post.

(Thank you admin for moving this to the correct area on the forum)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there! I've recently undertaken an arduino project in which I'm attempting to transplant a 2015 Challenger cluster into a 1977 Celica (Happy to provide pics if anyones interested).

The plan is for the arduino to supply the signals and canbus data the cluster requires, how ever I'm finding it quite difficult to figure out the required data for the cluster. The only thing I've figured out so far is controlling the fuel gauge. I was hoping that someone here would be willing to provide to me a capture of their can bus data? I only have a cluster and no access to a challenger. I'm also ok with data being omitted like Vin ect.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for taking the time to read the post.

(Thank you admin for moving this to the correct area on the forum)
How did you go with this project? I have a 69 Dodge Dart running a 2015 Chrysler 300 SRT setup and wanted to have the gauges work independently as well

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
How did you go with this project? I have a 69 Dodge Dart running a 2015 Chrysler 300 SRT setup and wanted to have the gauges work independently as well
Probably need something like Vehicle Spy to connect to a representative car's OBD2 port and capture CAN message traffic. Filtering will have to be used to reduce the number of CAN messages that are captured. There is a huge number of CAN messages on the CAN bus.

I seem to recall I filtered so only a few of the lowest controller addresses (the lower the address the higher the controller's rank) were captured/logged. 0x7E8 has priority over 0x7E9 and so on up to 0x7EF. (This is I believe 11-bit ID CAN. I'd have to consult my references for 29-bit CAN to refresh my memory of that flavor of CAN.)

You will have to find CAN messages that have their data payload bytes vary based on say engine RPMs. Determining which messages contain the data for less dynamic gauge values will be a bit more work.

I've done this some years ago but the details have grown fuzzy over the years. Don't recall what kind of filtering I set up. (I still have the Vehicle Spy and the setup files and such but buried away in my old files.) Using Vehicle Spy I was able to identify CAN messages with door lock status, seat belt usage, and some other things of interest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probably need something like Vehicle Spy to connect to a representative car's OBD2 port and capture CAN message traffic. Filtering will have to be used to reduce the number of CAN messages that are captured. There is a huge number of CAN messages on the CAN bus.

I seem to recall I filtered so only a few of the lowest controller addresses (the lower the address the higher the controller's rank) were captured/logged. 0x7E8 has priority over 0x7E9 and so on up to 0x7EF. (This is I believe 11-bit ID CAN. I'd have to consult my references for 29-bit CAN to refresh my memory of that flavor of CAN.)

You will have to find CAN messages that have their data payload bytes vary based on say engine RPMs. Determining which messages contain the data for less dynamic gauge values will be a bit more work.

I've done this some years ago but the details have grown fuzzy over the years. Don't recall what kind of filtering I set up. (I still have the Vehicle Spy and the setup files and such but buried away in my old files.) Using Vehicle Spy I was able to identify CAN messages with door lock status, seat belt usage, and some other things of interest.
Sounds like I will have to do some playing around shortly. The car went away for a new paint job and comes back next week so when the motor and sensors are hooked up again I may have to run the Vehicle Spy on it and see if my stripped down setup is still sending all of those signals.

I used the wiring kit from HotWire and MMX provided the ECU and TCU for the motor. Feel this one may start to get messy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts