Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we get closer to the 2015 Dodge Challenger’s midyear launch, it’s worth looking at what’s coming down the pike.

The Challenger is moving from its current “LC” body to the “LA” body, as noted years ago by Allpar when plans first started. Most observers expect relatively few exterior changes to the car, though the dimensions will change along with key parts (including the floorpan); the classic Challenger lines will remain, but the front fascia will change, still maintaining links to the classic 1970s Dodge Challengers. The tail is likely to be modernized with smooth “light pipe” LEDs, and BMW-style “halo headlamps” seem to be in the works (at least for some models, possibly not for the base cars).

The eight speed automatic is likely to become standard across the board, but enthusiasts can still get the manual six-speed — if they opt for a V8. So far numbers appear to be too low to justify a six-speed V6 combination. With the eight speed, it seems likely that the standard Hemi and 392 SRT engines will both post faster acceleration numbers with the automatic. That leaves the HellCat V8, rumored to generate a stunning 665 or more horsepower — which would make it the most powerful production V8 in the world.

There has been talk of using aluminum to lighten the body, and while this might be done with some panels, it seems unlikely that the car will be much, if at all, lighter than the current Challenger. Some critics have complained about Challenger’s weight disadvantage versus some Camaros and Mustangs, without mentioning that Challenger is also a considerably larger car inside; most critics have mentioned that Challenger is also more comfortable. Given the need to handle an extra 200 or so horsepower, it seems unlikely there will be any weight loss at all, but engineers are probably working hard to minimize the weight gain by using more high-strength steel and, yes, aluminum. But it seems unlikely, given costs, technology, the length of time this Challenger will be in the field, and the need to use the existing plant without completely changing the body shop, that the car will use aluminum as part of its key structure. Perhaps in 2018-2020, or whenever the next large cars are developed, but not now.

Update: It seems likely that rumors of a lighter-weight Challenger date back to plans to replace or augment Challenger with a “Barracuda,” a shorter-wheelbase car that would compete more directly with best-seller Camaro. However, these plans were publicly acknowledged by Chrysler executives, who said that they did not work — the Barracuda name was rejected by enthusiasts (since there were no Plymouth or Barracuda cues on the proposed car) and the vehicle just did not work. Instead, a new car will be added — a midsized, rear wheel drive car whose development and engineering is being shared by Dodge and Alfa Romeo. We believe engineering is led by Dodge, with Alfa Romeo having a small team that is participating in the “base car” and having total control of their own version. There are many open questions about this new car, including whether the Dodge will have room for V8s (including 392), since the Alfa is unlikely to go beyond its Maserati-Ferrari twin-turbo V6; but these are all separate issues.

The new Challenger will have the most extensive choice of engines of any Chrysler or Dodge car, with a V6 and three V8s. The current 392 Hemi will remain, supplemented by the supercharged 6.2 motor — now believed to retain the HellCat name when it appears before the public.

A comprehensive interior upgrade is expected, bringing Charger-like amenities, a configurable cluster, along with an electronics update to UConnect 2 with all the gadgets ’n’ gizmos that brings; the option list should grow to match 300C’s, including forward sensors, rear camera, adaptive cruise, and predictive crash protection.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/02/2015-challenger-rundown

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ugh, will they just reveal the new looks already! And what colors will be offered. I want to know if I should go ahead and pull the trigger on a SRT8 Plum Core now or wait for the 2015s...

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,735 Posts
Will the LA body be significantly shorter in wheelbase making the Challenger more like the Camaro in not having a useable back seat?

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will the LA body be significantly shorter in wheelbase making the Challenger more like the Camaro in not having a useable back seat?
My guess is yes .
The “D-RWD” platform will give Dodge a muscle car sized closer to the Camaro and Mustang, while bolstering Alfa Romeo credibility; Automotive News’ Luce Ciferra wrote that it will replace the planned front-drive Giulia. D-RWD is, we believe, a joint project, centered in Auburn Hills, with embedded Fiat/Alfa engineers; the Alfa Romeo version has a small, dedicated team in Italy.

The new cars appear to have most of the same hard points as the Dodge Dart, so it could, in theory, be built on the same line as the Dart or 2015 Chrysler 200.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My guess is yes .
The “D-RWD” platform will give Dodge a muscle car sized closer to the Camaro and Mustang, while bolstering Alfa Romeo credibility; Automotive News’ Luce Ciferra wrote that it will replace the planned front-drive Giulia. D-RWD is, we believe, a joint project, centered in Auburn Hills, with embedded Fiat/Alfa engineers; the Alfa Romeo version has a small, dedicated team in Italy.

The new cars appear to have most of the same hard points as the Dodge Dart, so it could, in theory, be built on the same line as the Dart or 2015 Chrysler 200.
I thought this is what they were talking about when they were originally thinking that SRT would come out with a Barracuda? This information sounds slightly different from what I have read... or maybe I am off. I was under the impression the 2015 would just be a slightly smaller verson of the current platform. Using the Dart or 200 platform would mean significant changes.... which is why I don't think that is correct.

Sounds to me they will once again ruin the Challenger as they did in the 80's..JMO
What gives you that idea? It is barely changing except for slight weight loss, better handling, and more power.... plus other upgrades. It is due for all of this stuff. I don't see how that is ruining it?

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought this is what they were talking about when they were originally thinking that SRT would come out with a Barracuda? This information sounds slightly different from what I have read... or maybe I am off. I was under the impression the 2015 would just be a slightly smaller verson of the current platform. Using the Dart or 200 platform would mean significant changes.... which is why I don't think that is correct.

What gives you that idea? It is barely changing except for slight weight loss, better handling, and more power.... plus other upgrades. It is due for all of this stuff. I don't see how that is ruining it?
Wish People would stop with the Barracuda :i_rolleyes: That has name has been dead and now buried for sometime After The dart became a disgrace to the name they dont want to risk it, BTW your Barracuda would have been a 4 door.:att:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wish People would stop with the Barracuda :i_rolleyes: That has name has been dead and now buried for sometime After The dart became a disgrace to the name they dont want to risk it, BTW your Barracuda would have been a 4 door.:att:
First off, the only reason that I mentioned the Barracuda is because it was relative to what you wrote. When Allpar 1st began speaking about the Barracuda they were saying it would be based on the same platform as the 200. I don't remember reading anywhere that the Challenger would be based on the 200 platform (it could be that it was said, I just don't remember reading it). Secondly, I never said that I wanted them to bring back the Barracuda name. Lastly, I don't have issues with the 4 door cars. I love the Charger as a 4 door and it bugs me that people bring that up all of the time. If the car performs then I don't see why number of doors is such a big issue. I personally like the way the Dodge lineup is currently and I am happy with it. Their cars seem to be selling too so they must be doing something right.

I don't think the Dart is such a disgrace as you put it either. I do think it would have sold better and went over better had it been badged a Neon (I had 2 Neons and I loved both of them). The new Dart is a good car and has gotten pretty good reviews. In it's day the Dart was an economy car and today it is an economy car. I don't see how it disgraces the name.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I read elsewhere the front and back will be two inches less (four inches total) and the "cabin" will be the same size. Another words, reducing only the trunk space and front end.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thought I'd chime in here. I agree with 2011Dodge in regards to the Dart. Problem is that nameplating it as a Dart without it having any resemblance to its namesake, coupled with manufacturer's rebates and incentives on other cars in their lineup, made the Dart sales lag. But I like the look of the Dart, and it seems to have a level of reliability to date. Dodge continues to push the envelope in design, and the Challenger is a good example of hitting it out of the ballpark. Just my two cents. Remember, we are all fans on this site, so hearing everyone's opinions is a good thing, as we all have varying positions on how things play out.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
We'll have to wait and see what they look like, hopefully they're cool! The Challenger is due for a refresh and some upgrades. Would be nice to see the R/T get some more power to stand up better to the Camaros and Mustangs.

The Charger is the best looking full size sedan on the market right now. It's not the same as the old one, but so what, it's an awesome car that looks great and comes with a big V8.

The Dart is a nice car as well, though I have no idea why Dodge has had such crappy rebates and leaes deals on them if they want them to sell. We got a better lease deal on a Chrysler 300 than they offered on a Dart and that car is much bigger and has nicer options. Seems like they need to lower the prices on the leases quite a bit if they want more of them on the road.

Someone above posted a great comment. People always complain that the Challenger is too big and too heavy, etc. Well I'm able to fit both my kids in the back seat in their car seats as well as all their stuff (i.e. travel crib, luggage, baby bags, diapers, toys) in the trunk and go on a nice long family roadtrip. Try doing that with a Camaro or Mustang. And my knees aren't up against the door panel and center console in my Challenger either. It's great to be able to have such a cool car and be able to use it with your family as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.