Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Do you plan to upgrade to the new 2015 Challenger or keep your current Challenger?

• Upgrade to 2015 Challenger

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Keep my current Challenger

Votes: 95 82.6%
  • Do not currently own a Challenger

Votes: 4 3.5%
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd see what others' opinions are of the new 2015 Challenger and whether or not you plan to upgrade or keep your current Challenger and your reasoning behind your decision. It's definitely a sharp car, but is it enough to get some of us to upgrade and trade our current ones in or no?

Let's hear your opinions!

Here's some info and pics below in case you need to get up to speed...

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger/2015.html

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,571 Posts
Nope keeping what I have. I like the new one but not enough to trade.I have owned a 1970,1971 and 1973 and I liked the looks of the 1970 the best.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm leaning that way myself, but I'm sure when I see the brand new ones on the lot it'll get the wheels turning again in my head! :)

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
I'm torn since B5 blue is my favorite Challenger color but I really like my redline red AAR build plus I like the retro interior and favor the current fascia over the 2015 lower grill. If I did trade it in it would be to start a B5 blue AAR build which ironically would go really well with the 71 split grill.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lower front grill on the 2015's will take a little getting used to, it's pretty big and is a major part of the front end. The rear end, while different, is still cool in my book. I also prefer the older interior that's more basic looking, but they did need to freshen it up so I can see why they did that and I think it turned out pretty good.

I really like that they offer the 6.4L Hemi in the R/T now. 6.4L with 8 speed automatic supposedly to run in the low 12 second range in the 1/4 mile, that's pretty hard to beat. Anxious to see what price range that falls in.

·
Banned
149 Posts
the biggest concern for me is the 8 speed. Not sure if I am going to like that or not. Also, I am hearing rumors that the SRT is being dropped from Chrysler reps. I hope that is not the case, but....

·
More Than Just A Car
20,522 Posts
I'm happy with what I have, with the changes made on the 2015, I'm looking at it like my 2009 is the new 1970, :smileup:

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have the 8 speed auto in my wife's 300 and I think it's pretty cool. You don't really notice it shifting a lot and it helps with MPG's. Keeps the engine in the powerband the whole time too when you're getting on it. Just not sure how reliable it will be down the road with a lot of miles since they're still relatively new. The old 5 speed and the 6 speed manual Tremec have been around awhile and are proven transmissions. But from what I can tell so far it's a pretty solid trans.

From what I read, it appears there will be no SRT Challenger in 2015 since they are working on an SRT model that will most likely have the Hellcat engine and push near 600hp. Maybe they'll be moving the SRT lineup up a notch to compete with the GT500 and ZL1 and keep some sort of upgraded trim package for the "regular" Challengers to keep up with the 5.0 and SS. The 6.4L will definitely do just that, so them offering this in the R/T is a step in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
18,434 Posts
Judging from the pics,there are some features I like and some I don't. Need to see one in person before deciding if I like it or not.
As far as upgrading the chances are slim. After 5 years,I really like my car.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Carl - I am just not feeling the 2015 like I did the earlier years. There are things to like and to not like.

I like the front end - that looks sharp, the grille, the lights, the whole things looks really great from a nose on aspect. Sublime is cool, but I suspect bringing back the B5 (while sweet) is not going to make legacy B5 owners very happy - especially since they thought theirs were a one time limited edition.

Rear end treatment leaves me feeling like "not really, no". I am also not too sure about the front hood with the grille vents being closer to the front end (the larger "T") - I keep going back and forth on that. I am definitely not thrilled with the interior dash. Not liking that at all - especially the cheap plastic looking center console. The shaker looks really good and the aluminium mags look great. I am not too keen on the black wheels nor does the shaker stripe design do anything for me.

I am also disappointed that all that hype (and cost) of the scat pack only pushes the HP levels to about 485. I have to say that overall, I am underwhelmed. I think I like my 2012 much better. Maybe the hellcat will be better. But to answer your question, I wont be trading up to the 2015 - not by a long shot.

Btw - the new look Charger - is absolutely hideous in my opinion. I just dont get that AT ALL!

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carl - I am just not feeling the 2015 like I did the earlier years. There are things to like and to not like.

I like the front end - that looks sharp, the grille, the lights, the whole things looks really great from a nose on aspect. Sublime is cool, but I suspect bringing back the B5 (while sweet) is not going to make legacy B5 owners very happy - especially since they thought theirs were a one time limited edition.

Rear end treatment leaves me feeling like "not really, no". I am also not too sure about the front hood with the grille vents being closer to the front end (the larger "T") - I keep going back and forth on that. I am definitely not thrilled with the interior dash. Not liking that at all - especially the cheap plastic looking center console. The shaker looks really good and the aluminium mags look great. I am not too keen on the black wheels nor does the shaker stripe design do anything for me.

I am also disappointed that all that hype (and cost) of the scat pack only pushes the HP levels to about 485. I have to say that overall, I am underwhelmed. I think I like my 2012 much better. Maybe the hellcat will be better. But to answer your question, I wont be trading up to the 2015 - not by a long shot.
I agree with you regarding the regular hood, not a big fan of that one, but the shaker hood is awesome. I like the current rear end better, but think the new one is alright as well.

Have to agree on the interior. It's nice in that it's new and fresh, but I'm just not into the big touchscreens and modern gadgets (iPhone and iPod stuff, UConnect Bluetooth stuff, etc). I actually prefer the basic interior we have. But there is a pic of the black and white interior that looks pretty cool. Again, probably have to actually sit in one to know for sure.

The new Scat Pack is supposed to come with the 6.4L and have 485hp, that's more than the current SRT's have at 470hp, so to me that seems pretty cool. It all depends on the price range those cars will be in. If you can get that in the high $30K range or low $40K range then that will be pretty sweet. If it ends up being mid/high $40K range for one then forget it.

I think for me personally, I really like everything about my car...the color, the 6 speed, the wheels/tires, the interior, so it'd be hard to give that up for something that looks cool but really not a whole lot different than I already have. Spending $6-7K on a supercharger would make the car plenty fast and it would be paid for as well vs starting all over again on a new car.

But I haven't seen one up close and in person yet either. Anxious to see them on dealer lots and check them out up close.

I don't think the new Charger is hideous, but I'm not a big fan of it either. It looks like a big Dart to me. I don't like when automakers make cars in various sizes that all look the same but use different names. The Dart should look like a Dart, and the Charger should look like a Charger, not a big Dart. It's still cooler looking than an Impala or Taurus, but the older Chargers look better to me personally.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
The new Scat Pack is supposed to come with the 6.4L and have 485hp, that's more than the current SRT's have at 470hp, so to me that seems pretty cool. It all depends on the price range those cars will be in. If you can get that in the high $30K range or low $40K range then that will be pretty sweet. If it ends up being mid/high $40K range for one then forget it.

Agree with most of what you said. The thing about the scat pack is the current 6.4 is 470hp. So dodge is asking me to get excited about an entire 15 HP increase just because the call it Scat pack and charge many thousands more for it? I mean really????? I just dont get that.

btw - what do you think of the Charger? I am still in shock on that one.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I understand, the Scat Pack for 2015 will be a 6.4L with 485hp and offered under the R/T level trim. So now you'll basically be able to get the biggest baddest Hemi in an R/T which I think is great and they should have done long ago. If they're priced reasonably, I think they'd be pretty cool. But most likely they'll jack up all the base prices across the board, then jack up the price of the Scat Pack to the point where it's not really all that affordable for regular folks.

That's what makes me mad sometimes with Dodge is that you can get a Ford Mustang 5.0 that runs 12's stock for under $30K or in the low $30K range without all the options and BS and yet you have to spend $40K+ to get something similar in performance from a Challenger. They came out with the SRT Core which is a pretty good deal, but it's still a tad pricey. If you look back at the old cars from the first muscle car era and looked at the base price and then the additional charges for the bigger engines, they were nowhere near as huge of gaps in price as they are today.

Not a big fan of the new Charger, looks like a big Dart to me. Maybe it will grow on me though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This in not to criticize anyone's opinion but it seems Challenger people have very strange views on the Challenger. Many don't like the new one because it is too much like the current one so we would not trade for it. Then I guarantee if they changed it too much many would say it is getting away from the retro look. So we would not buy it. Then at times we say things about Chrysler and don't understand why they are not catering to the needs of the "old school Challenger guys"? I am sorry to tell you this but it is called marketing. The market to get people who do not own a Challenger is much bigger than the market to get guys to trade in their Challengers. If they went out to build a car to satisfy us, to be honest they would not sell a tremendous amount of them. And regardless of us it is about making money, that is what Chrysler and every business is designed for, making money. Next many say look it used to cost so little to take a regular car and turn it into a muscle car. yeah it was, take a big block and shove it into the space that used to be a small block, match cam lifters and carb and look a muscle car. Not enough, shove the greatest engine ever built in there, a HEMI. Not today, its got to meet emissions and mileage, and handle well, and be somewhat comfortable, and have AC and all the rest.
They are not looking to build the perfect 2015 muscle car, they design a darn good car, make it the best looking true production car in the world, add some great performance to it, wonderful handling for the size, don't blow the bank account. And get many true muscle car guys to love it.
I like what they have done. it is not to me as good as my 2008, one it's not in brilliant black. But I like they made the interior more "modern", like the new front and actually love the rear end. Makes it different from what "we" have and to me that's a good thing. If I want a new Challenger don't want it to be like I have already, I got that, see in my case, maybe it's enough different to have two. MMMMMMMMM ? Should I start talking nice to the wife?

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,461 Posts
As of this moment, I'm keeping my current Challenger! Too much BST invested in her! Besides, I took a vow!

But if that SubLime Shaker presented herself and wooed me right, I may consider adding her to the harem!

·
12,989 Posts
The 2015's are nice but im gonna hang on to what i have.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts