Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really sure what's happening. Battery needed to be jumped off for the first time last weekend. Horn blared and would not turn off with key fob. Car cranked and drove home. Once in driveway, car will not turn off. I can push the button as may times as I want and car will not move from RUN position. The car is registering that the transmission is in Park.
I pull the ignition relay to turn the engine off, and then disconnect the battery because the interior stays on. Then when I am ready to do more troubleshooting, connect the battery to the horn blaring and same situation again.

Car cranks and drives fine, no issues. Battery has held a charge since jumping off.

Any magic wand or experiences I can lean on from someone?? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Sounds like its stuck in "Alarm Mode" Put a new battery in the key fob. Pull the horn relay and re connect the battery. Now after re starting the car normally, plug the horn relay back in with the car running. Everything should return to normal.
-John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to try this yesterday. It was much quieter during the process, so that was a positive. It did not seem to fix it, though. The horn fuse is 20a and I removed that, started and I was back in the same situation. AS soon as I connect the battery, the car is in run mode. Radio, AC fan, dash lights, etc.

I will do a full scan today and look into the modules.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Not the horn fuse. The horn relay. Its the only way to reset the alarm circuit. The PCM is dumb. Once it gets trapped in a mobius loop, only certain procedures will rescue it. BTW... forgot one thing. After everything is back to normal, press the panic button, let it blow the horn for a few seconds, and then press the panic button again to turn it off. Your problems should be over.
-John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't see a horn relay. I will have to look more in depth today. Thanks for following up. Your knowledge and experience is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Also put a charger on the battery and let it fully charge. Just driving a bit will not fully charge the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input. Today was the first day I was able to get back to it.

The horn relay pull and replace didn't work. It still wont shut off.

My blue tooth scanner is giving me codes I think are from the original battery dying. That being said, I also tried a new car and keyfob battery and that didn't fix it.

I have tried holding down the button for an emergency shutoff and that doesn't work either. I tried repeatedly hitting it, as well. I will look into the scanner software.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BCM throwing a U1433 code. I am going to see if a flash will fix that, or move to the next step

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i wanted to provide an update, or final fix, for anyone tracking the thread.

After getting nowhere with diagnosing at my place, I dropped it at the dealership. They started, and was confident in, replacing the Wireless Ignition Module. This did not fix the problem. In the end, the WIN, Receiver/Hub, and the Body Control Module (BCM) had to be replaced. I think, in my opinion, when the car had to be jumped off, a surge hit that system in some way.

Either way, I appreciate all of the input and suggestions. You guys jumped in wit some knowledgeable ideas and that's what its all about. Thanks again.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,481 Posts
Glad to hear you got it resolved. (y) .....When replacing a battery or jump starting one, always use the FO-LO method. (Negative battery cable: First Off, Last On) ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts