Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started noticing a clicking type noise that increased with vehicle speed that sounded like it was coming from the right front wheel. I thought well that sounds a bit odd for a wheel bearing but not sure what else it would be. That wasn't it...and after research it seems like that's what most people think when their drive shaft carrier bearing starts making noise.
Anyways....it appears on a 2016 you cannot just replace the bearing itself and instead need to purchase an $800-$1000 driveshaft assembly. Can anyone verify that for me? The failed bearing is a $40 piece on previous years...but I guess there was a redesign in 2015? Pretty insane to me....

· Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,689 Posts
You are correct, you have to buy a driveshaft, hope the dealer has one in stock for you, they were on back order, no dealer in the USA had one in stock, good luck.

· Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,689 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. There's a 2016 drive shaft from a 21k mile car on ebay.
There's also one from a 2019 w/ 12k miles, which appears to be the same also....considering that option.
How many miles are on the car with the bad bearing, well the bearing is not bad, it is the rubber it is incased in that rips apart.

· Premium Member
2015 sxt/rt 5.7 with scat pack kits 1 &2
3,182 Posts
seems to be happing more ,sucks you have to buy a new one . mine went with only 7 tho. on it but was under warranty. rock auto has one in stock if you want a new one .just hope dodge is noticing this issue. good luck

Reactions: APG1

· How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,409 Posts
Seems FCA has been using this method for quite awhile. My son's 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (4WD) had a bad universal coupler on the rear driveshaft. Coupler not replaceable, have to purchase new driveshaft assembly (just north of $700.00). Same scenario for the front driveshaft. I called the local salvage yard and got a good condition used assembly for $90.00 with a 30 day replacement warranty. Going on 6 months and all's well (knock on wood).

· Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Up here in Maine we have a place called Brookline machine. They do rebuilding or make a new custom shaft. Our club has used them many times. Especially for heavy duty truck stuff. Brookline Machine Company Places like this are all over the country. Just use Google maps and look for "Drive shaft repair / rebuilding in XXX State" and you will find a place. It does not have to be a factory piece. It will probably be better.
-John

· Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
5,128 Posts
So I started noticing a clicking type noise that increased with vehicle speed that sounded like it was coming from the right front wheel. I thought well that sounds a bit odd for a wheel bearing but not sure what else it would be. That wasn't it...and after research it seems like that's what most people think when their drive shaft carrier bearing starts making noise.
Anyways....it appears on a 2016 you cannot just replace the bearing itself and instead need to purchase an $800-$1000 driveshaft assembly. Can anyone verify that for me? The failed bearing is a $40 piece on previous years...but I guess there was a redesign in 2015? Pretty insane to me.... View attachment 274365
That is exactly what mine was doing about drove me crazy trying to find out where the sound was actually coming from.

Replacing My Drive Shaft! WARNING!

I am shocked at how much the price has increased since mine failed it has almost doubled!

Rock Auto does have one in stock.

2016 DODGE CHALLENGER 3.6L V6 Drive Shaft | RockAuto

East Coast Moparts is cheaper.

2015-2021 Dodge Challenger Drive Shaft 52123974AJ | EastcoastMoparts

I have to say with the OEM price increasing that much, it makes the 4" Aluminum one piece driveshaft a little more attractive.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to say with the OEM price increasing that much, it makes the 4" Aluminum one piece driveshaft a little more attractive.
Indeed, I'm wondering why that center bearing joint even needs to be there? Something to do with the space, or IRS?
I bought the 12k mile 2019 drive shaft off ebay...waiting for it to ship. Thankfully I have another vehicle to drive till then.

· Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
5,128 Posts
Indeed, I'm wondering why that center bearing joint even needs to be there? Something to do with the space, or IRS?
I bought the 12k mile 2019 drive shaft off ebay...waiting for it to ship. Thankfully I have another vehicle to drive till then.
The OEM can be swapped out without dropping the exhaust.

Reactions: TheOldGuy

· Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,689 Posts
Have fun and good luck. Hope it goes easy for you.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just as a late update to the story....
I received the 2019 driveshaft off ebay, got it and it looked to be in good shape. Proceeded with trying to pull the bad one out without pulling the exhaust...was a pain, but with an extra set of hands I got it out. New one went in, everything was looking good...and then when tightening the rear bolts 1 didn't snug up right and end up twisting in half 😤.
These bolts look like torque to yield bolts and I did find others online that said the same thing and mentioned they just bought new ones. Anyways I bought a few more bolts, got the broken piece out, new bolts in and I was good to go. Had a trip last weekend and put about 600 miles on it...everything seems good!

· Registered
2 Posts
Here in England. My centre bearing on the drive shaft has failed on my 2015 SXT Challenger. Although my Challenger is a 2015. I was the first to register it in November 2019. I got it when it had only done 5000 miles and have treated it very gently since I’ve had it. No burnouts or careless driving. So why has the centre bearing failed at only 19k ? Seems like a regular fault! Does Dodge think I’m changing my drive shaft every 20k. Here in UK I’ve been quotes £1200 !!

· Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,689 Posts
Here in England. My centre bearing on the drive shaft has failed on my 2015 SXT Challenger. Although my Challenger is a 2015. I was the first to register it in November 2019. I got it when it had only done 5000 miles and have treated it very gently since I’ve had it. No burnouts or careless driving. So why has the centre bearing failed at only 19k ? Seems like a regular fault! Does Dodge think I’m changing my drive shaft every 20k. Here in UK I’ve been quotes £1200 !!
Oh no .........another one.......Now what ??? are we to help this guy ? Or not ? I said we would see more of this as summer goes on. 20,000 miles on a part that needs replaced??? RyzRT was not so wrong was he ??

· Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
5,128 Posts
We know exactly how you feel, this is usually the rubber support that holds the center support bearing tearing loose from the support housing. It is simply the rubber aging and failing and should not be happening at all much less at 19,000 miles, but mike t had a failure at 5,000 miles, so there is obviously not even a guesstimate as to how long it lasts. Dodge needs to address this issue and fix it, but if they do, there will be a mass recall and be forced to replace driveshafts, and that will cost them, Big Money. It would seem to be the better option than even risking a person or families life if this happens at high speeds and tears loose from the car, after all, these are high performance cars, and are sold as such.

IMO, the rubber should be replaced with something much more long term durable that could handle the flexing without failing. Or just run a one piece driveshaft with CV joints on each end, the argument being the distance is too far for a one piece driveshaft, yet they have one piece driveshafts in some RAM trucks, so that is a total BS excuse. Good luck with yours, you don't really have a choice but to replace it, if you want to drive the car. Some of us have gone to the aftermarket to acquire a one piece driveshaft from at least one source The Driveshaft Shop, more expensive solution, but a massive peace of mind. Even after the swap out, you cannot get the failure out of your mind, unless of course a shop does it for you and you never see the failure with your own eyes. Ry

1 - 20 of 58 Posts