Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Thank you to VyperD65 for the great picture of the failed centre bearing. I’ve contacted Dodge in Florida and because I’m in England got transfer to Dodge in Italy? They seemed more concerned about the two other recalls on my Challenger. Eventually they listened and told me to get my Challenger inspected by my local Dodge dealer and gave me a complaints reference and to get back in touch with them when the vehicle had been inspected. Thanks to VyperD65 I can show them the picture of the problem. Mine has done only 19k. The big concern is ? will I have to replace it again at £1200-£1400 in another 19k ?

· Registered
60 Posts
Thank you to VyperD65 for the great picture of the failed centre bearing. I’ve contacted Dodge in Florida and because I’m in England got transfer to Dodge in Italy? They seemed more concerned about the two other recalls on my Challenger. Eventually they listened and told me to get my Challenger inspected by my local Dodge dealer and gave me a complaints reference and to get back in touch with them when the vehicle had been inspected. Thanks to VyperD65 I can show them the picture of the problem. Mine has done only 19k. The big concern is ? will I have to replace it again at £1200-£1400 in another 19k ?
Having to replace it again is a concern I have as well. Who knows how long this new one will last? I found a few driveshaft repair/rebuild places not far from me and I'm going to get the old driveshaft rebuilt. I'm hoping they'll be able to rebuild it in a way that I'll be able to just replace the carrier bearing in the future should it ever happen again.

· Registered
235 Posts
@DodgeCares on going issue for the 2015 and up owners perhaps you can help.
Sorry to hear of the trouble you’re experiencing. If you decide to address this concern with your certified Dodge dealer, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Is the carrier bearing the same size as the 2014 and below? Is It possible to replace just the bearing if someone is willing to take apart the shaft and replace it?
Typically it's the rubber isolator that rips apart and not a failure of the bearing itself. There might be single piece aftermarket options if you're willing to pay $$. I found a low mile used one for $225 and so far so good.

· Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
5,129 Posts
I am seeing many reporting those coming apart on several forums. Which is crazy that by now there is no fixes or recalls on them.
Hopefully no one gets killed before they are forced to do something about it!

· Premium Member
6,151 Posts
My son's 2018 Hellcat is at the 58K mile mark already. Last week we had it on the lift for an oil change and to check things out. The drive shaft and center bearing are perfect with no play or signs of deterioration of the rubber isolator that surrounds the bearing. The car has the M6 Trans. All these reports of failures? I don't know what to think anymore.
-John

· Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
5,129 Posts
My son's 2018 Hellcat is at the 58K mile mark already. Last week we had it on the lift for an oil change and to check things out. The drive shaft and center bearing are perfect with no play or signs of deterioration of the rubber isolator that surrounds the bearing. The car has the M6 Trans. All these reports of failures? I don't know what to think anymore.
-John
Personally John, I believe my going to the wider rims and tires contributed to my failure at 50,000 miles, I believe Dodge has very good reasons for the tire sizes on these cars, but that does not explain failures with less mileage and stock rims and tires like mike t experienced.

The LSD differential did not help things either in my situation, and I also believe Dodge had good reason to install open differentials on the automatic transmission Challengers. But there is just no way to know or predict when these failures may occur, and that is probably why Dodge has not gotten more concerned about it.

Even though it has happened on 100% stock Challengers as well, so what is safe and what is not?

Glad your sons was in good condition! (y)

· Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm a former FCA tech of 7+ years, and now I'm working as a heavy truck and coach technician. A good friend of mine was complaining of a noise at highway speeds, especially during accel or decel. I checked his 2015 charger out, and found the rubber isolator for the hanger bearing was completely gone. I refused to order a driveshaft, as they were between 1200-1500CAD and on backorder. I was able to find the part number for the proper hanger bearing (center support bearing) its a 3180-31, and they were sold out online everywhere i looked. I ended up sourcing one from Ottawa driveshaft (awesome to work with) for 170+tax, and was able to install it this past monday.
I'm going to try to find another driveshaft to do a tutorial with, as I was in a time crunch to get my buddy's car back on the road, but it isn't an overly difficult fix, the biggest problem i ran into was getting the inner CV race to separate off the front driveshaft spline, there is an internal spring clip/snapring that sits in a groove on the inside of the CV (similar to the rings on the end of CV axles, that compress and then pop into a groove once installed.)
Just wanted to let everyone know it is possible to change the support bearing, and an assembly is not required.

· Registered
2 Posts
That is exactly what mine was doing about drove me crazy trying to find out where the sound was actually coming from.

Replacing My Drive Shaft! WARNING!

I am shocked at how much the price has increased since mine failed it has almost doubled!

Rock Auto does have one in stock.

2016 DODGE CHALLENGER 3.6L V6 Drive Shaft | RockAuto

East Coast Moparts is cheaper.

2015-2021 Dodge Challenger Drive Shaft 52123974AJ | EastcoastMoparts

I have to say with the OEM price increasing that much, it makes the 4" Aluminum one piece driveshaft a little more attractive.
That's what I'm going with, aluminum 1 piece. Dodge can ram their POS drive shafts where the sun don't shine. I refuse to spend $1000 on a drive shaft when only a "defective" part fails.

· Registered
8 Posts
2015 Dodge Challenger SXT plus here, doing the same thing - Center support bearing on my challenger has gone out and I have the death noise rub of a drive shaft. Not looking forward to spending money on the replacement but needs to be done.

· Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
5,063 Posts

Doorman Drive Shaft Replacement now Available.

· Registered
8 Posts

Doorman Drive Shaft Replacement now Available.
I was just looking at that bearing upgrade from JXB performance, looks like I'm going to be ordering one here shortly. Thanks for the quick responce and information.

· Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
5,129 Posts
I was just looking at that bearing upgrade from JXB performance, looks like I'm going to be ordering one here shortly. Thanks for the quick responce and information.
If you do use that solution please report back how it works out for you, we need actual Challenger users to report good or bad with it? Thank You! Ry

21 - 40 of 59 Posts