Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you all out there. The passenger side plastic section at the bottom of the windshield the the hood doesnt seem to drain very well.
Does anyone know where this is supposed to drain to? Driver side drains fine.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Would hazard a guess the passenger side water drain is plugged.

Where the water drains to is under the car -- to state the obvious -- and there is probably a drain hose that has its end extending a bit. The intent is (or should be) that when the car is moving the hose is in a low pressure zone to encourage water to flow down and out the hose.

You can have a helper pour some water into the driver side water passages and see where the water comes out under the car and then look at the passenger side for a similar setup. I would expect -- but this is not guaranteed -- the two water drain setups to be pretty much the same.

You are smart in wanting to be sure this water drain is working properly.

At least one of my previous cars was really prone to the body water drains getting loaded with plant trash (leaves mostly) and this could block the water drain hole at the bottom of the water catch basin.

I've always avoided parking my cars under trees to avoid leaf litter, and bird mess, even the occasional limb falling onto the car. Especially with soft top cars.

Whenever I see leaves or trash on the plastic at the base of the windshield or in the body gaps or when I raise the hood or trunk I always remove the trash. I'm a bit OCD on this because with some cars water overflowing the catch basin can flow into the cabin and with some of my cars the car's security module was located on the cabin floor under the driver's seat. Any water in the cabin would end up at this security module which would ruin it.

For your car you probably need a good flashlight to shine into the various passages to see if you can spot anything that might be blocking water. It may be possible that to spot and to clear any blockage you might have to remove the cowl piece to get better access to the areas where the water drains down into on its way to eventually the ground under the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts