Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I have a v6 2018 Challenger. It's been a great car. Yesterday I tried to drive it and the power steering light came on and I can't move the wheel. I can't find where to check the power steering anywhere. Is it really buried behind the drivers side wheel? What a horrible design! Can I add regular power steering fluid somewhere? I have never checked it, I can't find the dipstick. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
try disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for 10 minutes and then hooking it back up. i think the fuse is #39, check and see if it is good. was anything done to the car before this happened? did you have stereo equipment or extra lights put on the car. just a bit more info than my steering locked up would help also.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
3. Find Reservoir - Locate the power steering fluid reservoir

4. Check Level - Determine the power steering fluid level

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
sorry, just saw this after a quick google search

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
This is directly from the 2016 owners manual

ELECTRIC POWER STEERING The electric power steering system will give you good vehicle response and increased ease of maneuverability in tight spaces. The system will vary its assist to provide light efforts while parking and good feel while driving. If the electric steering system experiences a fault that prevents it from providing assist, you will still have the ability to steer the vehicle manually.
Alternate electric power steering efforts can be selected through the Uconnect® System. Refer to ”Customer Programmable Features” or “Performance Control — If Equipped” within “Uconnect Settings” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” chapter for further information.

and fluid servis chart shows no power steering fluid

there is also this, which i think is what you have. again, this was a quick google search. but there was also people complaining about the power steering pump in the sxt's

• Helpful
Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,512 Posts
Help! I have a v6 2018 Challenger. It's been a great car. Yesterday I tried to drive it and the power steering light came on and I can't move the wheel. I can't find where to check the power steering anywhere. Is it really buried behind the drivers side wheel? What a horrible design! Can I add regular power steering fluid somewhere? I have never checked it, I can't find the dipstick. Thanks
As Charles has already told you, your 2018 has electric power steering, and it is far from a horrible design, did you check the fuse as he suggested?

If the fuse is good, the Power Steering drive motor is located below the engine oil pan area, if you hit anything driving in the road, it would have had to of ripped through your protective engine service under pan to reach the connecting wires to the power steering drive motor.

But if the fuse is good you need to check and inspect those power steering electrical connectors and the connecting wires for any kinked or broken wires or connectors, be sure the connectors are firmly seated and locked in.

You will have to remove the engine service plastic protector from the bottom which means ramps and safety precautions going under the car!

Be Safe going underneath, you are dealing with a 4,000lb car!

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
3,518 Posts
A GT will have a Sealed Steering Rack with the Motor no Fluid to check not same a 2010 R/T
Check your Fuse / Relay Panel Under the Hood...

Rectangle Font Line Material property Parallel

350 Amp Red-Electric Power Steering #1 - If Equipped
9-20 Amp YellowAll-Wheel Drive Module - If Equipped
1950 Amp Red-Electric Power Steering #2 - If Equipped
4810 Amp RedAWD Module/Front Axle Disconnect - If Equipped

1 - 12 of 12 Posts