Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SPS M6 F8 Green, Dynamics Package, Partial Wrap and Coating, Barton Shifter
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sitting here thinking how to get cooler ambient air into my shaker, etc., then it hit me. Does the shaker lid itself seal the the port where you access the oil fill cap? I can't get at my car right now and I haven't taken the shaker lid off yet to check. I would hope it does. Looking at some pictures online and it looks like the access port is notched.

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
Sure you could remove it but any induction the Shaker does deliver would be lost

·
Registered
2018 SPS M6 F8 Green, Dynamics Package, Partial Wrap and Coating, Barton Shifter
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but I am not explaining myself very well. You take off the shaker lid so you can access the access port for the oil cap. When the shaker lid is back on can hot air come up and through that access port into the shaker therefore the engine.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 126022 The oil fill access port has a twist off cap in the shaker base. No hot air from the engine is getting through there.
Whoo hoo! Thanks for the picture! Yes I plan to do the Hellcat mod and seal the top of the CAI. Maybe overkill, but I want that outside air pulled through the shaker and hellcat port. As we now know from another thread, the CAI does not seal to the hood, even if it did it pulls air from various openings in the hood. I have sent AFe a few notes asking if the are working on a sealed version for the shaker, no response. This makes the most sense as the Hellcat config.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have done the Hellcat intake tube and will be closing the top of the air box when I get the time. I am thinking of making a removable top for it just thinking for good ways to fasten it on.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have done the Hellcat intake tube and will be closing the top of the air box when I get the time. I am thinking of making a removable top for it just thinking for good ways to fasten it on.
Oh yes exactly! Any ideas? I was trying to find something temporary, then compare IATs to ambient temps. I may try to form some plastics. I found a clear bin and would cut out the top shape of the air box. Cut it slightly larger, maybe 1/2 inch all the way around. Then purchase 1 inch by 1/4 thick strip insulation, sticky on one side. Ok that will seal it but what about keeping it on?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Did mine and it made the intake air closer to the outside temp. Within 4 degrees Fahrenheit.
Was out this weekend, wide open road, running 60 mph, ambient temp was 82 and the IAT was varying between 87-89. So I was running a bit more than 4* above ambient.

I have found that the higher the ambient temp, the higher the IAT differences will be. At 50-60 degrees, it runs almost at ambient. At 100*, it runs about 10-12 over.

Reactions: JTR18SHAKER

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was out this weekend, wide open road, running 60 mph, ambient temp was 82 and the IAT was varying between 87-89. So I was running a bit more than 4* above ambient.

I have found that the higher the ambient temp, the higher the IAT differences will be. At 50-60 degrees, it runs almost at ambient. At 100*, it runs about 10-12 over.
That is really not too bad. I find about the same differences. Waiting for it to warm up here.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I may take some clear plastic and make a lid and use some rubber weather striping to seal it airtight. Maybe clamp it on or drill some mounting holes and screw it down.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know this is very straight forward but here is what I would do. Remove rubber seal on top of airbox. Place plastic lid on top of air box and trace and mark the exact outline underneath. Cut that out and make sure exact fit, no overhang. On the underside place 1" weather stripping. To hold it on top of air box use velcro on top and side in various places on air box. Easy on easy off. I would leave the slot open at the front.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, but it seems the company is closed up.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Perfect, thanks
Oh but you do have to cut off a slight amount of the end with a sharp razor knife or it wont fit. Kinda like when you cut the spout at an angle on a tube of window caulking. Make it so when it's in the oil fill port, the end of it ends up parallel to the oil full tube. You will see what I mean when it is in your hand and you try to put it in.
-John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts