Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
From some of the info I have gathered about forged pistons for the V6, they may not be available.
However, from what I have also read, keeping the boost around 10PSI Max can help keep things intact.
RIPP seems to be the major player.
Magnuson is being approached with requests to produce a competitor SC.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you look for challenger or charger you won't find it you have to search it under jeep ...prodigy performance has a 3.6 forged pentastar bundle allowing people to safely run 18lbs of boost ...its 4k though so its gonna be a while before i even consider doing that upgrade lol... magnuson already has one magnuson ,sprintex and ripp are the 3 major players right now but RIPP is wayyyy in the lead

·
Registered
333 Posts
I also understand it is hard to get a video that sounds the same as the actual car, it may sound substantialy better in person. I found the exhaust note sounded better with the filled heads and the Aerochamber mufflers on my 88 Olds. Currently it has an Olds 350 with the hp/torque numbers flipped around compared to a stock Pentastar in my Cutlass and my 70 Cutlass is getting a much more powerful Small Block Olds stroker, less interior padding it makes a difference, the Challenger is very well padded. Here is the 88 with a mild cam and when it had filled heads, I never heard a better sounding exhaust in person, just quiet enough to not be annoying with no drone. That is what really makes a car undriveable. This sounded deeper in person and is slightly quieter, slightly different note now with unfilled heads and stock peanut cam.

Reactions: Riding With Wulf

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I also understand it is hard to get a video that sounds the same as the actual car, it may sound substantialy better in person. I found the exhaust note sounded better with the filled heads and the Aerochamber mufflers on my 88 Olds. Currently it has an Olds 350 with the hp/torque numbers flipped around compared to a stock Pentastar in my Cutlass and my 70 Cutlass is getting a much more powerful Small Block Olds stroker, less interior padding it makes a difference, the Challenger is very well padded. Here is the 88 with a mild cam and when it had filled heads, I never heard a better sounding exhaust in person, just quiet enough to not be annoying with no drone. That is what really makes a car undriveable. This sounded deeper in person and is slightly quieter, slightly different note now with unfilled heads and stock peanut cam.
i bet it sounds better in person i don't know why videos don't do car sounds justice ..the best v8 i ever heard was UNFORTUNATELY a GT350

·
Registered
333 Posts
Let me be clear, I am not dogging the 3.6 Pentastar, it is huge improvement over the crappy 3.5. At least our V6 Challenger will sound better than any 4 cyl Mustang or Camaro. The only thing a 4 cyl car should be is whisper quiet with a ton of boost.

Reactions: Riding With Wulf

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
If you look for challenger or charger you won't find it you have to search it under jeep ...prodigy performance has a 3.6 forged pentastar bundle allowing people to safely run 18lbs of boost ...its 4k though so its gonna be a while before i even consider doing that upgrade lol... magnuson already has one magnuson ,sprintex and ripp are the 3 major players right now but RIPP is wayyyy in the lead
Sometimes the most boost is not necessarily the best thing. Sounds like 7psi is sufficient to get over the 400HP mark. That's better than a stock R/T and close to the SRT8 without having to install forged internals.
There are way more things to worry about as you approach the 500hp in a stock R/T, without forged internals, let alone a stock 3.6L.
I am confused at some of the reading about the Challenger 3.6 vs the Jeep 3.6. The info about the Challenger 3.6 made mention of certain things concerning its pistons. Again, IDK.
It sounds like you have researched this pretty good. I am sure you won't make a move without having your ducks in a row. Be sure to give proper consideration to the drive train, axles, rearend, brakes, etc.,.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sometimes the most boost is not necessarily the best thing. Sounds like 7psi is sufficient to get over the 400HP mark. That's better than a stock R/T and close to the SRT8 without having to install forged internals.
There are way more things to worry about as you approach the 500hp in a stock R/T, without forged internals, let alone a stock 3.6L.
I am confused at some of the reading about the Challenger 3.6 vs the Jeep 3.6. The info about the Challenger 3.6 made mention of certain things concerning its pistons. Again, IDK.
It sounds like you have researched this pretty good. I am sure you won't make a move without having your ducks in a row. Be sure to give proper consideration to the drive train, axles, rearend, brakes, etc.,.
that is very true..im running 9 to 11 most days 450 hp to the wheels safely ...the thing is that the jeep and challenger 3.6 are the same but a lot of people aren't interested in really modifying the 3.6 challenger BUT the 3.6 jeep guys are HEAVILY modifying they're jeeps there is a massive market so while searching for challenger engine stuff i stumbled upon all these jeep mods

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Let me be clear, I am not dogging the 3.6 Pentastar, it is huge improvement over the crappy 3.5. At least our V6 Challenger will sound better than any 4 cyl Mustang or Camaro. The only thing a 4 cyl car should be is whisper quiet with a ton of boost.
oh i know your not boss 👍 , yea that 3.5 was terrible lol! the v6 has its place people need to respect it!

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Let me be clear, I am not dogging the 3.6 Pentastar, it is huge improvement over the crappy 3.5.
Sorry, I disagree. A buddy has an ‘09 3.5 and it still looks and runs great after 10 years of daily driving! Another person I know owned a 2010 with the 3.5 and drove it daily to deliver papers out in the country. She had 200k miles on it when she quit working for the newspaper. Those are/were good engines!

·
Registered
333 Posts
The 3.5 is a POS compared to the 3.6 period. Many known issues, rocker arms wearing out, valves moving around in the head and crank case ventilation along with sludge build up. One Dodge tech I talk to agrees whole heartedly that the 3.5 are junk. My 2010 Challenger had a hellish tick and after accidentally stretching one oil change to a whooping 7995 KM not miles, burned at least a liter in 5000 KM. I think it was closer to 3000 KM when I traded it in. The oil burning clattering 3.5 was the final straw along trouble finding a replacement leather seat bottom. The screwy fuel gauge and rust could be fixed easy enough. I traded in at 168,000 KM, started using oil around 80K. We liked the looks, handling and the 5 spd auto was good. The 17 GT is a massive improvement in every way over our 2010 SXT.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts