Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed last week that the inside of my car smelled like gasoline. Pretty distinct, not faint. No leaks, opened the hood with the car running, no smell. Seems it's worse with the AC on in the recirculate mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks Bob

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,819 Posts
You could pull up the rear seat and check where the fuel pumps are located and make sure the seals or pumps are not leaking. The smell would be worse if the tank is between half to full. I doubt that is it but at least you could rule it out.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Whenever I eat certain foods, my car gets a methane smell inside.

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could pull up the rear seat and check where the fuel pumps are located and make sure the seals or pumps are not leaking. The smell would be worse if the tank is between half to full. I doubt that is it but at least you could rule it out.
I'm at just above 1/4 tank. Do the rear seats just pop straight up or do you have to push in and then up? Couldn't budge them yesterday and didn't wanna break anything.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: SFCR

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Happened to me once. Turned out I had stepped in some gas at the station the night before and it was on my shoes and transferred to the mat. Had to wash it. Check that, first. Otherwise - good luck!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,819 Posts
I'm at just above 1/4 tank. Do the rear seats just pop straight up or do you have to push in and then up? Couldn't budge them yesterday and didn't wanna break anything.
Push in and lift up. Once it is up there are 2 covers that pop out and you will see the fuel pumps but if you were at 1/4 tank that probably is not the problem.

Reactions: SFCR and RJL1

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
You still have your cats, right?

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,539 Posts
Any ideas?
How long have you owned your Challenger and how many miles are on it? I ask because when I bought a new R/T in 2013, I started smelling that same faint gasoline smell in the cabin at 2000 miles. I took it in to the dealership to have them check for fuel leaks (they found none) and the service manager advised me that there are coatings on the new engine that burn off over time and can smell like gasoline. He said it the smell would disappear over time and to his credit, his prediction was on the money.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long have you owned your Challenger and how many miles are on it? I ask because when I bought a new R/T in 2013, I started smelling that same faint gasoline smell in the cabin at 2000 miles. I took it in to the dealership to have them check for fuel leaks (they found none) and the service manager advised me that there are coatings on the new engine that burn off over time and can smell like gasoline. He said it the smell would disappear over time and to his credit, his prediction was on the money.
I bought it new in 2018, November. It has about 13,000 miles on her now.

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulled the rear seat. The foam underneath the seat shows no signs of gasoline seepage. Didn't smell at all like fuel. Checked the engine compartment with car running, nothing noticeable.

She's still under warranty, I just hate bringing anything back to the dealer. Guess I gotta make an appointment Monday.

Sheesh.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback fellas.

I'll circle back and update what the fix was.

Bob

·
Registered
961 Posts
Pulled the rear seat. The foam underneath the seat shows no signs of gasoline seepage. Didn't smell at all like fuel. Checked the engine compartment with car running, nothing noticeable.

She's still under warranty, I just hate bringing anything back to the dealer. Guess I gotta make an appointment Monday.

Sheesh.

Bob
I thought there may have been a Technical Bulletin on this some time ago, sounds very familiar.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

Sheesh.

Bob
Have you checked everything on the underside of the car? You could see if the fuel line has a leak anywhere, or see if there's any damp spots. I'm with you on the dealership thing. I've had my cars damaged three times at the dealership when doing simple stuff, two of which turned into a cluster.

Reactions: RJL1

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you checked everything on the underside of the car? You could see if the fuel line has a leak anywhere, or see if there's any damp spots. I'm with you on the dealership thing. I've had my cars damaged three times at the dealership when doing simple stuff, two of which turned into a cluster.
Yes. No spots anywhere. Nothing seems to be seeping on the underside.

I will say it's MUCH more noticeable when the AC is on recirculate. When the windows are open or AC not in recirc it's not nearly as bad. Not sure what to make of that other than the smell is emanating from the interior.

Reactions: SFCR

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Yes. No spots anywhere. Nothing seems to be seeping on the underside.

I will say it's MUCH more noticeable when the AC is on recirculate. When the windows are open or AC not in recirc it's not nearly as bad. Not sure what to make of that other than the smell is emanating from the interior.
Perhaps it might be leaking forward of the firewall. I also wonder about the vapor canister. Mine had a recall to replace it.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Sheesh.

Bob
Hi RJL1,
Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're just a PM away.

Rob
Dodge Cares

Reactions: RJL1

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi RJL1,
Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're just a PM away.

Rob
Dodge Cares
Thank you Rob.

·
Registered
216 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts