Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, I said I'd circle back and advise of the fix. So here it is.... There was no fix. The raw fuel smell disappeared as quickly as it appeared. As I said, the fuel tank was at just below half full when the smell first showed up. Got worse with the AC on. Inside the cabin my eyes actually were just about watering. Smelled like I spilled gas inside. Well, I've been driving it with the windows up, ac on, windows down, as on and off. Nothing.

Very strange. Never had something like this. Anyway, I filled the tank up last week, no issues.

Again, thank you all for taking a minute and recommending what may be wrong.

Bob

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well, I said I'd circle back and advise of the fix. So here it is.... There was no fix. The raw fuel smell disappeared as quickly as it appeared. As I said, the fuel tank was at just below half full when the smell first showed up. Got worse with the AC on. Inside the cabin my eyes actually were just about watering. Smelled like I spilled gas inside. Well, I've been driving it with the windows up, ac on, windows down, as on and off. Nothing.

Very strange. Never had something like this. Anyway, I filled the tank up last week, no issues.

Again, thank you all for taking a minute and recommending what may be wrong.

Bob
We're happy to hear that your concern seems to have resolved itself! Should this return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Rob
Dodge Cares

Reactions: RJL1

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
We're happy to hear that your concern seems to have resolved itself! Should this return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Rob
Dodge Cares

Thank you for your concern.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
WELLLLLL....... Its back. Raw fuel smell. Bad again. Dropping it off at the dealer on 10/26. I'll advise what they find. If anything.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Question @DodgeCares. My 3 year warranty is up the end of the month. This has been an on again off again type of situation. If they don't find the cause on the first loop through the service department will I be out of luck if this continues to pop up randomly?

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
95 Posts
WELLLLLL....... Its back. Raw fuel smell. Bad again. Dropping it off at the dealer on 10/26. I'll advise what they find. If anything.
When refueling your Challenger, I would set the fuel delivery nozzle to its slowest auto setting and when it clicks off, I would not add any additional fuel. This can flood the charcoal cannister and cause a strong fuel odor in the cabin.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Question @DodgeCares. My 3 year warranty is up the end of the month. This has been an on again off again type of situation. If they don't find the cause on the first loop through the service department will I be out of luck if this continues to pop up randomly?

Thanks

Bob
Hi Bob,
Thank you for reaching back out. Please know that you may visit Official Mopar® Site | Mopar Select Vehicle to learn more about your Warranty. Unfortunately an inspection by a trained technician is required to determine if something is going to be covered under the applicable warranty. However, we can make a case on your behalf to document that you have been having this concern previously. Please follow up with us via PM if this would be of interest.

Rob
Dodge Cares

Reactions: RJL1

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Withou reading through all 2 pages of comments, I’m going to throw out a simple explanation. This happened to me and worried me until my wife, not a car person, nailed the explanation. I had stopped to pump gas and apparently stepped in some spilled petrol. It then transferred from my shoe soles to the carpeted floor matt and the only way to solve it was to wash the mat. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Bob,
Thank you for reaching back out. Please know that you may visit Official Mopar® Site | Mopar Select Vehicle to learn more about your Warranty. Unfortunately an inspection by a trained technician is required to determine if something is going to be covered under the applicable warranty. However, we can make a case on your behalf to document that you have been having this concern previously. Please follow up with us via PM if this would be of interest.

Rob
Dodge Cares
Thank you Rob.

I dropped the car off today. Hopefully they find the problem and call me tomorrow with a diagnosis. The raw fuel smell was pretty obvious on my ride there.

I'll advise.

Bob

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thank you Rob.

I dropped the car off today. Hopefully they find the problem and call me tomorrow with a diagnosis. The raw fuel smell was pretty obvious on my ride there.

I'll advise.

Bob
If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, we're just a PM away.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
@Dodge cares. Car is still there. In the shop for a month without any headway. I sent you a PM.

Thank you

Bob

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Do any of you folks, that are clearly far more knowledgeable than I am know of any service bulletins on this particular issue? I questioned the service tech and he said there was not.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts