Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while having car inspected the technician wanted to look under the hood so I allowed him to open it. Greeted with the smell of hot coolant but the bottle is full and it seems concentrated around the upper radiator hose with
Screenshot_20201017-101451_Gallery.jpg
no signs of leaks.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,222 Posts
I have encountered This with 2 Challengers and 2 Chargers occasionally . Near as I can determine It is the coolant Bottle venting vapor only as I have never found a leak anywhere .

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
No odor of antifreeze from my Hellcat but my experience with other cars is an odor of antifreeze is a sign of a leak. In at least one case it was from a water pump, the seals were leaking. Leak sign proved to be visible only after the car was lifted up and the tech and I could look at the water pump which was mounted quite low.

In another case no odor of antifreeze but water droplets were present on the under side of the lid that covered the coolant tank access. Short version is this was from a leaking coolant tank cap that vented water vapor -- the antifreeze was left behind -- when the engine was hot and the system under a lot of pressure. This vapor then condensed on the underside of the lid.

Now one time I smelled the odor of antifreeze -- this just after having the radiators replaced and the system refilled with fresh coolant -- and took the car back to the dealer service department. Turns out the tech admitted he spilled some antifreeze when refilling the system. He washed the engine and engine bay down with water from a hose, started the engine and let it idle. No odor of antifreeze. No signs of any leaks. I left and drove around town some more and no signs of a leak appeared. I decided the car was ok and headed west towards home, 2K miles distant. The car was ok and I made it with no drama.

If I suspect a coolant leak a test I like and have used a couple of times is to ensure the coolant tank level is good. Not low. In fact higher -- but not overfilled -- is better. Be sure the coolant tank cap is on securely.

With the A/C off start the engine and drive the car around town just normal legal driving until the coolant is hot enough to trigger the radiator fan to come on. This I think is around 216F. When this happens head home.

On your driveway then raise RPMs to just over 1K and hold until you confirm the radiator fan has come on. Release the pressure on the pedal and turn off the engine.

Wait.

As the heat load of the engine raises coolant temperature and pressure if there is a leak you'll spot it. I did this "test" one time after catching an infrequent odor of antifreeze. After I shut off the engine and was walking around the car the coolant tank let go and gushed hot coolant to the ground. The tank had developed a split along the mold seam at the bottom of the tank (a common failure point with this model of car) and only when I shut off the engine really hot -- which was rare -- did it leak. Hence the very infrequent odor of antifreeze. Once the tank was removed it was clear this leak had been going on for some time. But it was not bad. Well, until it gushed under that hot coolant pressure test. I never had to add coolant. By way of comparison the leaking cap I mentioned above would have the coolant level down enough to turn on the low coolant light in about a month's driving.

·
Registered
160 Posts
For sure check around the water pump pulley for signs of a leak like staining. Very easy to access that area under the hood with a flashlight. My water pump went out and upon replacement I noticed staining on it where it had been leaking for some time prior to failure. If your house connections are good then the coolant reservoir or cap is next place I’d check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts