Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2020 challenger sxt black top
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
new to the forum thanks in advance for any input.
Factory claims 305 hp 268 torque I'm looking to get it around 350 hp just to set it apart from stock what are some mods to have installed?
I'm thinking larger throttle body, throttle body spacer, cold air intake and resonator delete with a tune

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,404 Posts
I can answer two of your questions. 'Throttle body spacer' ...originally named carburetor spacer (it raised the carburetor to reduce engine heat from the intake manifold, so it didn't negatively effect the temperature of the gasoline passing through). Now it has been mounted on its edge and named throttle body spacer. Primary function, make your wallet lighter (n). ...'Resonator delete' ........once removed, the exhaust Drone at certain RPMs will make you crazy. (n)(n) ...In both instances, no HP gains. ;) ...I'm sure other members with the 3.6L will chime in with their successes and advice.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
1,656 Posts
CAI is a Joke on a SXT unless you do a Tune with new Throttle Body maybe a 2 hp gain not even 1ftlb of torque waste of time if the CAI is where you really think hp wil be massive.. Be careful with exhaust mod or you will get a crappy drone sound with the delete... To actually boost to that 350hp you will easily spend a few grand and your not gonna feel the difference of 50hp...

You get 265 to 270HP at the Wheels the HP 305 is a Engine Dynp not Drive Dyno. The SXT 3.6 has the Exhaust Header made to the Head so dont think of modding is like a V8.
The Pentastar is a nice Engine very Reliable and Excellent on Gas... To really gain HP its expensive so if you thinking of trying to push 100 more hp to the Wheels your about 3k or more to get there realistically.

If you have a 2020 leave it alone or you will completely VOID Warranty.... No Turning Back... Your PCM is locked all PCMS on Challengers made after 2014 are Locked and need to be sent out and modified or replaced 1500.00 if its not enough car trade it up for a RT and go from there!!!

Thats the Straight up on it and no B.S. for over 6 months I've researched for my SXT in my case I can go with a Larger Throttle Body and Tune but still at 700 plus im passing...

I had a Chevy Trailblazer with a 4.2 Inline Vortec it had 315hp more torque but seriously the Challenger would dust it and twice on Sunday....

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,110 Posts
new to the forum thanks in advance for any input.
Factory claims 305 hp 268 torque I'm looking to get it around 350 hp just to set it apart from stock what are some mods to have installed?
I'm thinking larger throttle body, throttle body spacer, cold air intake and resonator delete with a tune
Welcome to the forum! Your'e not going to like my reply, but this is the truth from my experience.

Additional HP of that order doesn't come cheaply or very easily on the 3.6 motor as it's really built to be as efficient as possible from the factory. You can't add headers since exhaust manifolds are cast into the heads and also already have the full exhaust dumps cast into them. In addition, they already flow into an efficient dual exhaust too. You also have to keep in mind that if you do something like a supercharger, turbo or nitrous you'll break the stock parts in the engine and drivetrain eventually. On a 2020 you'll also void your powertrain warranty by doing most things you'd normally do to increase HP.

What you can do is combine several mods that might get you a few extra horsepower, but the money you'd spend would be better spent on other things like lowering and customizing IMO. Normally to do these things you are likely going to need a tune too in order to get things to work together properly and that will trash your factory powertrain warranty. The trouble is, I don't know if anyone does a tune for a 2020 V6 as of yet. As you can see by now, you will be throwing a lot of money down to get just a few HP in return, and no additional torque either.

Here we go on recommendations for a few HP...
  • PUG Lower Intake [Factory Warranty?]
  • RIPP Coil Packs [Factory Warranty?]
  • Mopar Cold Air Intake [Not much gain other than louder intake noise, but Factory Legal]
  • Ported Throttle Body? [Not sure one for a 2020 is out yet and it will void your factory warranty anyway.]
  • Tune? [Not sure one for a 2020 is out yet and it will void your factory warranty anyway.]
  • Performance Exhaust System
Other than these things I've mentioned, there is very little I know of that will give you what you need HP-wise, be reliable and also be covered by your factory warranty. Like has been said so many times on the various forums on the internet, you'd be better off getting an RT with a V8. Granted, they have a few problems of their own too, but they have more HP and more importantly, more torque to get you going on the bottom end. Myself, I'm not a street racer, just a cruiser, so my SXT Plus serves me well as is and get's out of it's own way just fine for where I live.

One thing I'd recommend from experience if you have an SXT or even an RT...Get a Pedal Commander it will make you enjoy what you have, even though it won't increase HP. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can answer two of your questions. 'Throttle body spacer' ...originally named carburetor spacer (it raised the carburetor to reduce engine heat from the intake manifold, so it didn't negatively effect the temperature of the gasoline passing through). Now it has been mounted on its edge and named throttle body spacer. Primary function, make your wallet lighter (n). ...'Resonator delete' ........once removed, the exhaust Drone at certain RPMs will make you crazy. (n)(n) ...In both instances, no HP gains. ;) ...I'm sure other members with the 3.6L will chime in with their successes and advice.
Well thats definitely not what I wanted to here but that is what I heard about the v6 no power gains naturally aspirated I am happy with my v6 it is surprisingly quick but I want an edge over the 3.6

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Your not the first who is kinda dissapointed but these were the avg working mans daily driver and cruisers.... I can't afford to go beyond an SXT or id upgrade but more I drive my SXT I love it as much as my Friends love their RT's / SRT's etc., On a Car Cruise I never stop for Gas like they do lol.....A Pedal Commander gives you a much faster Take off no HP gain or Torque gain. Its just a quicker launch how ever I do not sugguest you touch a Pedal Commander when a Banks Pedal Monster is a better quality Enhancer and Safer. It has a ton more adustments and also helps the Transmission shift Smother with its setting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum! Your'e not going to like my reply, but this is the truth from my experience.

Additional HP of that order doesn't come cheaply or very easily on the 3.6 motor as it's really built to be as efficient as possible from the factory. You can't add headers since exhaust manifolds are cast into the heads and also already have the full exhaust dumps cast into them. In addition, they already flow into an efficient dual exhaust too. You also have to keep in mind that if you do something like a supercharger, turbo or nitrous you'll break the stock parts in the engine and drivetrain eventually. On a 2020 you'll also void your powertrain warranty by doing most things you'd normally do to increase HP.

What you can do is combine several mods that might get you a few extra horsepower, but the money you'd spend would be better spent on other things like lowering and customizing IMO. Normally to do these things you are likely going to need a tune too in order to get things to work together properly and that will trash your factory powertrain warranty. The trouble is, I don't know if anyone does a tune for a 2020 V6 as of yet. As you can see by now, you will be throwing a lot of money down to get just a few HP in return, and no additional torque either.

• Mopar Cold Air Intake [Not much gain other than louder intake noise, but Factory Legal]
  • Ported Throttle Body? [Not sure one for a 2020 is out yet and it will void your factory warranty anyway.]
  • Tune? [Not sure one for a 2020 is out yet and it will void your factory warranty anyway.]
Other than these things I've mentioned, there is very little I know of that will give you what you need HP-wise, be reliable and also be covered by your factory warranty. Like has been said so many times on the various forums on the internet, you'd be better off getting an RT with a V8. Granted, they have a few problems of their own too, but they have more HP and more importantly, more torque to get you going on the bottom end. Myself, I'm not a street racer, just a cruiser, so my SXT Plus serves me well as is and get's out of it's own way just fine for where I live.

One thing I'd recommend from experience if you have an SXT or even an RT...Get a Pedal Commander it will make you enjoy what you have, even though it won't increase HP. ;)
Thanks for the info sounds about right from what I've hear about the v6 I am very impressed from the performance I get and the mpg was important cause I drive 150 miles a day for work I even raced my buddys 2016 charger rt only mod is corsa extreme exhaust i only had about 150 miles at the time so not even broken in we started at 50 went to 100 and he's butt hurt how well I kept up with him lol I'm just trying to get mine to stand out from the factory stock challenger
Your not the first who is kinda dissapointed but these were the avg working mans daily driver and cruisers.... I can't afford to go beyond an SXT or id upgrade but more I drive my SXT I love it as much as my Friends love their RT's / SRT's etc., On a Car Cruise I never stop for Gas like they do lol.....Pedal Commander gives you a much faster Take off no HP gain or Torque gain. Its just a quicker launch.....
sounds about right

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your not the first who is kinda dissapointed but these were the avg working mans daily driver and cruisers.... I can't afford to go beyond an SXT or id upgrade but more I drive my SXT I love it as much as my Friends love their RT's / SRT's etc., On a Car Cruise I never stop for Gas like they do lol.....Pedal Commander gives you a much faster Take off no HP gain or Torque gain. Its just a quicker launch.....
I'm no
Thanks for the info sounds about right from what I've hear about the v6 I am very impressed from the performance I get and the mpg was important cause I drive 150 miles a day for work I even raced my buddys 2016 charger rt only mod is corsa extreme exhaust i only had about 150 miles at the time so not even broken in we started at 50 went to 100 and he's butt hurt how well I kept up with him lol I'm just trying to get mine to stand out from the factory stock challenger

sounds about right
I love mine great mpg and its got power

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SXT, Frostbite color, Driver Convience Pkg, Navigation and Sunroof.
117 Posts
ChallengerHawkeye, welcome to the forum from another 2020 SXT owner.
Yes, the SXT is suprisingly fast just the way it is. Fun when in SPORT MODE!!
I just did the Hellcat Air box upgrade with a Spectre performance air filter. Real easy mod to do and not terribly expensive. There is a good detailed write up on it in the Pentestar V6 section. I can also give you some info to help you breeze thru it if you want to do the mod.
The intake will sound louder when you punch it. Not sure if it does anything to improve the 0 to 60 time.
Speaking of 0 to 60 times. I just watched a u-tube video by (Racer-X) comparing 0 to 60 times between an SXT and a RT. Suprisingly the RT was only .8 seconds faster than the SXT.
Enjoy your new ride.

Jim........

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Will Void the Factory Warranty changing the Air Box unless its made OEM specifically for the SXT only !!! Also your only going to hear more Air Rushing nothing else... NO HP GAIN no DYNO to show other wise with just a CAI Mod .... ID leave it alone ......... Not my Car not my Warranty though...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a catch can. No HP increase, but will be of benefit in the long run.
If designed and connected properly, it starts to work the minute you start the car after install, and continues to do so with just an occasional emptying of the gunk that would have gone through your intake.
One of the first things I put on my 2016 SXT and now my 2020 GT.
I see it as cheap insurance...

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Have you researched the SE/SXT site here thoroughly? There are examples of doing supercharger and turbo charger mods on the SE/SXT. Some members boast HP gains comparable to a naturally aspirated SRT-8.
A stock base R/T with an 8psi boost S/C can get 500HP with no engine internal mods.
Some reading suggests that the turbo is better suited for the SXT with its head exhaust design.
Yes, warranty is an issue, and maybe trading up is an alternative, but for some the cost of trading up is offset by the cost of modding.
I'm not here to tell you what to do but research, research, research.
The Z is the Place to Be!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SXT, Frostbite color, Driver Convience Pkg, Navigation and Sunroof.
117 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a catch can. No HP increase, but will be of benefit in the long run.
If designed and connected properly, it starts to work the minute you start the car after install, and continues to do so with just an occasional emptying of the gunk that would have gone through your intake.
One of the first things I put on my 2016 SXT and now my 2020 GT.
I see it as cheap insurance...
Good point! That's one of the things I will be doing to my 2020SXT.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Will Void the Factory Warranty changing the Air Box unless its made OEM specifically for the SXT only !!! Also your only going to hear more Air Rushing nothing else... NO HP GAIN no DYNO to show other wise with just a CAI Mod .... ID leave it alone ......... Not my Car not my Warranty though...
The Hellcat air box is identical in size to the SXT box. Only difference is the Hellcat box has the opening in the front for the air duct tube. SXT cover fits it perfectly.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,323 Posts
As soon as they see the box has been changed it still voids the warranty that simple...
No it does not, if a failure can be traced back to it then the warranty could be declined on that failure.

·
Registered
824 Posts
As others have said, I have an answer, but you're not going to like it. Having BTDT and spent way to much money to get to where I am (512 RWHP), I am here to tell you that 1) yes, you can achieve 450 to 520 RWHP from an SXT and 2) you can upgrade to a clean slightly used Scat Pack for what you will spend to get there.

My advice would be to buy a small used diesel car for your commute (they are relatively cheap right now since nobody wants a diesel due to WV's emissions fiascoe) and enjoy 50 MPG commuting. Then trade in your SXT for a used S/P and enjoy the power on the weekends.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT
173 Posts

As someone who has modded his 3.6 with almost everything except a supercharger, Derecho here hit the nail on the head. I had fun doing it, but I'm not adding anything else. PUG intake, coil packs, TB, are my top three (not super difficult either IMO). A tune helps significantly, but yeah... it will cost you. My RT AWD Durango I feel has better giddyup at highway speeds than my 3.6 Challenger (My Challenger will walk it in the 1/4 though).

Also, Pedal Commander is a godsend and worth every penny. Upgrade down the line to an RT or SP? Move it on over to that!

I don't regret my mods, because it's my car, and loved doing it. But yeah cost-wise it financially makes more sense to get an RT. However, feel free to mod your V6 how you want, it's your car!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Banks Pedal Monster blows away the Pedal Commander more reliable more features and better designed made in USA on top of that...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts