Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hefty re-enlistment bonus came in and I have decided to take advantage of it and get the #1 mod I have wanted. Originally, doing stage 3 heads with a 274 cam & long tubes plus a dyno tuning was my plan, but things change. Has anybody had any bad experiences with the 274? Good ones? What would you suggest to pair it with? (headers or heads). Do you have before/after dyno results? I have been in contact with HHP, who have a very fast response time, and am awaiting their input to match my $5k budget, while keeping the most (safely) choppy/lopey idle possible. Nothing sounds better than a choppy 70's mopar or chevy engine, and I hope I can recreate it as closely as possible.

Currently very bland on bolt-ons, only have a K&N CAI, Diablo Tune through the i3, & it is straight piped.

I want to stick to an all-motor build on this one, so every little bit counts. I plan on documenting this on here so that hopefully my lessons learned won't be somebody's mistake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My hefty re-enlistment bonus came in and I have decided to take advantage of it and get the #1 mod I have wanted. Originally, doing stage 3 heads with a 274 cam & long tubes plus a dyno tuning was my plan, but things change. Has anybody had any bad experiences with the 274? Good ones? What would you suggest to pair it with? (headers or heads). Do you have before/after dyno results? I have been in contact with HHP, who have a very fast response time, and am awaiting their input to match my $5k budget, while keeping the most (safely) choppy/lopey idle possible. Nothing sounds better than a choppy 70's mopar or chevy engine, and I hope I can recreate it as closely as possible.

Currently very bland on bolt-ons, only have a K&N CAI, Diablo Tune through the i3, & it is straight piped.

I want to stick to an all-motor build on this one, so every little bit counts. I plan on documenting this on here so that hopefully my lessons learned won't be somebody's mistake.
Totally forgot, but also what throttle body would pair with the cam & headers as well? 82, 85, or 90mm? I know the "gains" from these are negligible, but with future head work and the cam I think the car could actually take advantage of that. Along with that, are throttle body spacers BS? I would think so, but I've heard many different things.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
John Doe. I have a custom grind version of the 274 in my setup. HHP did the work. A little tricky to get tune just right but once it was locked in it was perfect.

Josh at HHP is a master so go with what he recommends

·
Registered
70 Posts
John, HHP did the build on my 2016 Shaker R/T. If you read my Sig you can see all of the modifications they made to my car. They exceeded my expectations. With all the work they did plus
Josh’s custom dyno tune, RWHP is 444 and RWT is 428. HHP is the best of the best.

·
Read Only
760 Posts
Stay away from the spacers and throttle bodies. They are not really needed. Send your oem tb to "The Fastman" and he will remove half of the throttle shaft and open up the infeed side with a cnc. I had him do a throttle body for me once on a 5.7 Hemi in a Ram pickup that I had. It was a very good mod and worth the money. I am also running a custom version of the 274 in my car, has a very nice Lopey idle when set to 650 rpm idle. If the tuner sets the car for 750 or 800 at idle it won't be as choppy. Have them drop the idle to 650 and it will lope pretty good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John Doe. I have a custom grind version of the 274 in my setup. HHP did the work. A little tricky to get tune just right but once it was locked in it was perfect.

Josh at HHP is a master so go with what he recommends
I have heard nothing but great things about HHP, and definitely trust their judgement much more than my own.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stay away from the spacers and throttle bodies. They are not really needed. Send your oem tb to "The Fastman" and he will remove half of the throttle shaft and open up the infeed side with a cnc. I had him do a throttle body for me once on a 5.7 Hemi in a Ram pickup that I had. It was a very good mod and worth the money. I am also running a custom version of the 274 in my car, has a very nice Lopey idle when set to 650 rpm idle. If the tuner sets the car for 750 or 800 at idle it won't be as choppy. Have them drop the idle to 650 and it will lope pretty good.

That's what I assumed regarding TB's, there's just so many different opinions and experiences with them. But I'll keep the 650 rpm in mind, how your's sounds in the video is exactly what I'm going for. Performance-wise, what kind of results did you get? Are you satisfied? Talking with them they say approx. 60 +/- hp is a realistic gain from cam, LT headers, and a tune.

·
Registered
519 Posts

What RPM are you spinning your 5.7 to and how much boost ?

·
Read Only
760 Posts
That's what I assumed regarding TB's, there's just so many different opinions and experiences with them. But I'll keep the 650 rpm in mind, how your's sounds in the video is exactly what I'm going for. Performance-wise, what kind of results did you get? Are you satisfied? Talking with them they say approx. 60 +/- hp is a realistic gain from cam, LT headers, and a tune.
60hp sounds about right. With the 274 you'll feel a little less pwr off idle (but I also went from a 3.92 to a 3.70 rear end when the 9 inch was installed and that may have something to do with the loss of torque off idle) but it comes alive around 2500 and pulls hard to about 6800 in my setup. Love the cam. Traction is an issue and I didn't get the car tuned properly until October of this year. So I never really got to check it out or play hard with it because it got cold and nasty out. Definately get a set of PSI valve springs. I used the 1511s but I have read that the 1516s do not require the spacers/shims. If you run the 1516s make sure you reuse your oem cages. The 1511s are a Chevy valve spring and have a shorter install height and do not require the cages.

·
Read Only
760 Posts
What RPM are you spinning your 5.7 to and how much boost ?
Shift around 6600. Making 12.5 psi. I may raise the rev limit to 7000 because I have bounced off the rev-limiter quite frequently since it's been retuned. Going to wait until I get the rear suspension and new tires installed to make that call.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
60hp sounds about right. With the 274 you'll feel a little less pwr off idle (but I also went from a 3.92 to a 3.70 rear end when the 9 inch was installed and that may have something to do with the loss of torque off idle) but it comes alive around 2500 and pulls hard to about 6800 in my setup. Love the cam. Traction is an issue and I didn't get the car tuned properly until October of this year. So I never really got to check it out or play hard with it because it got cold and nasty out. Definately get a set of PSI valve springs. I used the 1511s but I have read that the 1516s do not require the spacers/shims. If you run the 1516s make sure you reuse your oem cages. The 1511s are a Chevy valve spring and have a shorter install height and do not require the cages.
Awesome, thanks for the info! I more so care about the sound versus performance, its really expensive to get these cars fast so a lovely sounding all motor build is perfect for me.

·
Read Only
760 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info! I more so care about the sound versus performance, its really expensive to get these cars fast so a lovely sounding all motor build is perfect for me.
The only real difference between the cam I have vs a 274 is that my cam has a 112 ICL vs the 274's 119 ICL.

The 274 if set to idle at 650 rpm will sound very similar to mine;

1 - 13 of 13 Posts