Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just over 50,000 Km and recently averaged 37 mpg Imperial on a 3 hour trip doing 105 to 119 Km/hr. Pretty good in my books.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger GT AWD, Granite Crystal, Black Top, Convenience Group, car nickname: "Christine"
272 Posts
Hi, I am not making Greta happy :)
With just 600 miles with GT AWD the board computer says European 13 L/100 km what is about 18 mpg. But my driving is far from long haul cruise, enjoying the acceleration at each corner.
Looking to rpm and transmission shifting seems to me that long-haul runs on steady moderate speed (say 130 km/h or 80 mph max) the 30+ mpg shall be achievable... Will let you know

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,259 Posts
Hi, I am not making Greta happy :)
With just 600 miles with GT AWD the board computer says European 13 L/100 km what is about 18 mpg. But my driving is far from long haul cruise, enjoying the acceleration at each corner.
Looking to rpm and transmission shifting seems to me that long-haul runs on steady moderate speed (say 130 km/h or 80 mph max) the 30+ mpg shall be achievable... Will let you know
As you get more miles on your GT the mpg should get even better. When I first got my 2WD SXT Plus new back in 2016, I was getting 17-18 mpg in city driving. After driving it for 5,000 miles or so, city mpg had improved to 19-20 and I also took several long cruises where it actually returned 32-33 mpg on the dash monitor. Keep in mind that this was driving on flat, Midwestern Illinois Interstate roads and if it were hilly or mountainous, I'm sure you could expect lower numbers. You may also like to hand calculate the mpg to confirm the dash reading is correct. I have done this a few times and it was very close to perfect. All in all these 3.6 equipped Challengers are excellent all around vehicles!

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger GT AWD, Granite Crystal, Black Top, Convenience Group, car nickname: "Christine"
272 Posts
I guess so - my driving was so far either city traffic or I intentionally pushed the car a bit more, enjoying the take-offs and accelerations on any occasion possible, and honestly keeping the cruising speed a bit above limits where was safely possible :) (80-100 mph; our highway limit is 130 km/h ~ 80 mph). At the current times there is less opportunity for me to make a long trip - all dressed up but nowhere to go due to the bloody COVID situation. I usually use cars for few business trips during the year, almost American-style driving (250-400 miles in once, highway, within legal limits what are usually 60-80 mph), but I have to wait for the next one.
You are right, the 3.6 L V6 with the 8-speed transmission is great package, capable of both smooth cruising at low rpm as well as quick & aggressive downshifts whenever the power is needed.
Challenger handles in great way, both on highway as well as on curvy roads (just you feel she is really heavy and big car, especially on narrow European roads). She is really a "Grand Turismo" car - well suited for quick smooth and far-sighted style of driving and always capable of quick take-offs.
I will be glad to let you know with more miles driven. Many thanks, and take care.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Hello all, seems the mileage really improves with overall miles covered and not surprisingly depends on the cruising speed (one cannot beat the aerodynamic drag in speeds about 90-100 mph) and of course on the driving course (car weight -> city and heavy accelerations). Now covered 1300 km / 800 miles total and the overall average by the board computer nicely improved from 12.8 to 11,7 L/100 km / from 18.4 to 20.1 mpg - but this happened just after the last approx. 150 km / 90 miles long really smooth scenic cruise today (almost strictly within speed limits; mixture of city, highway, rural curvy back roads; just few "therapeutic" pulls ending not much above the local limit ant otherwise just feathering the gas, simply not to spill the occupant's coffee but definitely not being a slow traffic obstacle:)). This drop of the average means the last cruise had to be of very low consumption / good mileage... Love the car!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Just short update - run across the first 1000 miles and the overall mileage went down to 11.0 L/100 km / 21.4 mpg.
Mileage is nod bad but the view of snow covered landscape (we have snow outside of Prague now) over the long hood together with the engine sound... is worth any money :)

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Just a little update - covered more than 2100 km / 1300 miles; mileage reader still around 11.0 L/100 km / 21.4 mpg (looks like it counts kind of a floating average over certain period/distance back). Took Christine today for calm ride about 210 km / 130 miles almost all the time within legal limits - 130 km/h / 81 mph on cruise control, nicely floating around 1900 rpm and shifting to 7th gear occasionally on hills up, as the highway is not completely in flat landscape. Few pulls and some situations solved better by accelerating temporarily to overtake quickly rather than braking down behind slower traffic while left lane is full of hasty racers :), and the last 10 miles of the drive through slow congested city traffic. Surprised this all took just slightly more than the first quarter of the full tank.
Btw. it is nice to see & meet nice people seeing Challenger, they often come to spend few nice words - as Challengers are rather exotic here (Mustangs are much more popular in sales and known to everybody). Good people around make your day even better:)

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Such figures are in fact not bad having in mind the fun and joy, these are worth of all the fuel consumed. Many happy miles / kilometers!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Over 3700 km (2300 miles) and the consumption counter still around 11 L/100 km (21,4 mpg) - now, as we are limited to stay within the city limits (covid restrictions) with just few exceptions I have to drive in city traffic (less congested however than usually) or on the city freeways (mostly 80 km/h or 50 mph speed limit). So the only sin is flooring the gas shortly :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm around 35,000 miles in my SXT AWD Challenger. I usually deliberately attempt to drive with a focus on MPG efficiency... most of the time, anyway. Gotta have some fun every now and then.

I'm in Upstate New York and for the AWD vehicles you'll notice that your average MPGs will vary between the seasons. Since the car automatically activates AWD mode below 37F, it usually gets overall lower mileage in the winter or colder months. In the summer or when the vehicle is utilizing RWD you'll get better mileage from the vehicle. You probably already know that stuff anyway, but that's a little background from my experience.

In the summer, on long highway driving, if you keep the speed around the speed limit, it can average 35+ MPG. My summer 'lifetime' average usually ends up around 30/31, which includes going into the city for work. In the winter, the car's lifetime average usually drops to around 26/27MPG. This information all comes from the screen on the dashboard that gives you the efficiency readings.

Like I mentioned though, I try not to let the car idle since idling = 0 MPG. For slowing down, I try to coast whenever I can or when no one is behind me. Coasting also dramatically raises your mileage readings, so that may be helping with the lifetime averages reported to me. It's really a nice all around vehicle for performance/cost/mpg/insurance, etc... If I wasn't typing this on a break, I'd get all the metric numbers for you but I have to head back to work soon.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have noticed the same. I see about a 5 mpg drop in the Winter on the highway. We see 35+ Imperial doing about 70 mph in the Summer.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Yes, looks really that the colder temperatures and AWD engagement reduce the mileage. I am now around 12+ L/100 km (~20- mpg) but we are for almost month locked inside the city area of Prague due to covid mobility restrictions, and warm weather arrived only for say last week. So for leisure cruising I am limited to city traffic now, and of course I cannot resist to enjoy the take-offs whenever possible :devilish: Not surprisingly I drive mostly through slow roads/areas due to attempts to find nice spots away from the main crowd, and such ride for a heavy car with automatic transmission always tends to reduce mileage. I made slightly longer work/business ride today (permitted according to our rules), and displayed the mileage gauge on freeway - I was pleasantly surprised how good the immediate value shown is for cruise control set to our legal 130 km/h (~80 mph). Really, seems that 30+ mpg are fairly reachable on long run on the open road.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Little update: I reached almost 4000 miles (the clock read now ~6150 km), seems that the engine made some break-in - the sound seems more crispy when the throttle opens, and there is noticeable wake-up around 3-4 grand rpm (some sources on internet indicate that the VVT train fully engages its range after ~2500 miles). My driving habits did not change much, I am trying to improve the smooth but not slow way of cruising, sometimes enjoying short WOT pulls. Strictly within city speed limits, sometimes more relaxed on open roads/freeways with little traffic (however not standing out of the crowd...). As the weather gets warmer, namely back roads are full of bikers and cyclists during weekends, so one shall be careful; btw. the power under the hood to safely pass by is really great. And the mileage reader showed 10.2 L/100 km ~ 23 mpg on today's return from our trip today (visit to US classic cars museum & back road scenic cruise, mix of city, freeway and back road driving). Summer tires (factory ones, maybe all-season in fact) are already on, however we had longer rainy period so AWD was still engaged during the time wipers were on... The Challenger is really great car to drive!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
With 5300 miles covered, I just had a brief look on the mileage gauge after a nice cruise for almost 270 miles within a day, definitely not too slow driving - 10,0 L/100 km aka 23,5 mpg :) Mixture of various open roads from freeway, main roads (steady smooth pace and few pulls and/or overtaking included) as well as curvy local roads.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
After 9000 miles covered, what means she became over the 3/4 of a year my daily :), the mileage keeps around 10 L/100 km aka 23 mpg - in mixed traffic consisting of short runs as well as longer stretches up to 100+ miles, from city and local roads to freeways. Even short/city trips do not fall over 12 L /100 km (i.e. below 20 mpg); freeway kept around 90+ mph (when possible - I am still not the fastest hasty racer on the road, I try to run in a smooth predictable and polite way) is still just slightly above 10 L/100 km (i.e. not much below 23 mpg) and the best gauge seen has been 9.4 L /100 km (25 mpg). Have found that the key is not to deny myself acceleration sessions:devilish: but not to forget to let the car smoothly float releasing gently the gas pedal and letting the transmission finds it's way up to the tall gears (what does not happen that smoothly after sudden break of WOT session) - in other words smooth predictable cruising again, enjoying the onboard comfort and still some excess of power compared to our downsized I4's.
I am about to make a longer business trip finally (400 miles one leg), strictly within speed limits - will give you my observations when being back.
So my love affair continues - show me other car giving such a mixture of look, interior space and comfort, nice power and friendly behavior, and that mileage + capable of winter/wet grass/muddy roads climbing:love:

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Just arrived from Prague to Zagreb (approx. 400 miles); following the speed limits within Austria, Slovenia, Croatia - freeway driving 85 mph max, but enjoying accelerations at the end of local restrictions to usually 50 mph :devilish:
8.8 L/100 km aka 26.7 mpg - I guess this is not bad for 2 ton big coupe with 305 HP, isn't it?
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Trip computer Tachometer

And I feel much less tired than after driving this in previous years, riding European car...

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
This was seen after 280 miles of freeway driving, smoothly within limits (85/65 mph on cruise control) but still enjoying accelerations when local restriction was over... 28.7 mpg :)
Trip computer Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Gauge

Reactions: Derecho

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,259 Posts
This was seen after 280 miles of freeway driving, smoothly within limits (85/65 mph on cruise control) but still enjoying accelerations when local restriction was over... 28.7 mpg :)
View attachment 287965
Now that gas here in the US is creeping towards $3.50 a gallon I'm really loving the 3.6 V6 A8 transmission combination. I'd love to have a V8 Challenger, but mine is just about paid off now and only has 19,000 miles on it and it does 80-90% of what a V8 model would do overall. Not trading in anytime soon now that the World is trending to be so messed up and getting more strange everyday.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts