Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger GT AWD, Granite Crystal, Black Top, Convenience Group, car nickname: "Christine"
264 Posts
Now that gas here in the US is creeping towards $3.50 a gallon I'm really loving the 3.6 V6 A8 transmission combination. I'd love to have a V8 Challenger, but mine is just about paid off now and only has 19,000 miles on it and it does 80-90% of what a V8 model would do overall. Not trading in anytime soon now that the World is trending to be so messed up and getting more strange everyday.
You are right. The V6 is still very affordable to drive while giving decent performance. Honestly I would like to enjoy the V8 rumble and low-end torque sometimes :devilish: but even 5.7 L would be too thirsty for daily driving...
Btw. I am starting to understand why the European importers usually have the GT AWD and then jump to 392 directly now, as the V6 is really doing quite good job as entry-level trim.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,243 Posts
You are right. The V6 is still very affordable to drive while giving decent performance. Honestly I would like to enjoy the V8 rumble and low-end torque sometimes :devilish: but even 5.7 L would be too thirsty for daily driving...
Btw. I am starting to understand why the European importers usually have the GT AWD and then jump to 392 directly now, as the V6 is really doing quite good job as entry-level trim.
For such a small engine it does a surprisingly good job of moving our heavy cars around. The electronic A8 automatic transmission plays a large part in allowing the high reving V6 to keep in a good rpm range most of the time and that makes for great combination of acceleration and fuel mileage. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure if I'd get a 5.7 or a 6.4 and drove a car equipped with that much horsepower I'd have a hard time going back to the V6 Challenger. The practical side of my brain say's I truly do like where I'm at right now with my Lil' Twister though. :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger GT AWD, Granite Crystal, Black Top, Convenience Group, car nickname: "Christine"
264 Posts
For such a small engine it does a surprisingly good job of moving our heavy cars around. The electronic A8 automatic transmission plays a large part in allowing the high revving V6 to keep in a good rpm range most of the time and that makes for great combination of acceleration and fuel mileage. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure if I'd get a 5.7 or a 6.4 and drove a car equipped with that much horsepower I'd have a hard time going back to the V6 Challenger. The practical side of my brain say's I truly do like where I'm at right now with my Lil' Twister though. :)
So true.
Yes, the A8 is the key for the V6 nice performance & mileage; I can imagine that with the previous A5 the cars were much less agile. The 7th and 8th gear are rather tall keeping rpm low when cruising, and the downshifts to rev the engine if needed are really crisp. The engine truly awakens around 3-4 grand, with a nice V6 sound inside. And I do enjoy the sound when cruising around 65 mph, with 1200-1500 rpm, there is nice burble coming from back resonators (seems to me) - it's like driving a comfortable old big engine cruiser, one starts to look for tailfins in the back mirrors :)
And yes, the 392 is a dream... probably a very distant dream. I would hardly give up the V6 as great daily giving still some fun and good emotions, and capable of nice drive in all seasons.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The A5 was Ok, the 3.5 was more the issue. The 3.5 did great at highway speeds, off the line was blah. My Wife beat a new base Camaro a few years back, racing at highway speeds with the 2010 3.5/A5, pretty sure it had the optional 3.07 gears, same as our GT's. The Camaro would have killed the 55 hp less and heavier.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I see. Sorry for misleading thoughts, I just have in my mind old experience with Daimler A5 in MB E-class cars - smooth and comfortable but totally sluggish off the line... even with here popular diesel engines having good low-end torque.

·
Registered
2017 GT AWD, Max Steel
55 Posts
So far after about 1000 miles of driving I am averaging around 21mpg. Most of it has been city driving with short highway trips, around 70mph or so. On the highway I see 25-30mpg. In the city I am seeing 18-20 or so. For a combined roughly 21mpg. Right around what the window sticker claims.

I'm happy with this and very happy with my car.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I averaged around 25, quite a bit of town driving. I took a 2 hour one way, 4 hour total to the Queen's city, Regina, Saskatchewan. I brought the average to around 30 mpg, taking it easy.

Reactions: Martin Styblo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Now that I have a little driving history with my GT AWD, I wanted to add to this. Hazard is my DD and on my daily commute of 22 miles round trip, I am averaging 26 mpg. Most of the drive is on a backroad running 55 mph avoiding going through town at 45 mph and hitting all the traffic lights. There have been a few mornings the last two weeks where it was cold enough that Hazard was in AWD mode. I am curious to discover how running AWD through the winter will impact my mpg.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
It drops it a bit. About the best I could do was 30 Imperial on pretty much straight highway driving. In town was down to 20 mpg in -40 but that was command started, usually twice on cold mornings.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
All these figures are great if one takes into account the car size & weight, AWD, and the car spirit & character together with performance that is surely like DD+.
I had just now few conversations about American cars in general and in fact we always came to conclusion "show me a somehow comparable European car that gives us all the nice features & emotions to enjoy, and is at the same time being substantially better in mpg"...

·
Registered
2017 GT AWD, Max Steel
55 Posts
All these figures are great if one takes into account the car size & weight, AWD, and the car spirit & character together with performance that is surely like DD+.
I had just now few conversations about American cars in general and in fact we always came to conclusion "show me a somehow comparable European car that gives us all the nice features & emotions to enjoy, and is at the same time being substantially better in mpg"...

I'm happy with the MPG considering it's such a heavy car! Especially the highway cruising MPG is very good. Around town is decent, not great but not awful. Even with the loss of MPG for extra weight and function of the AWD I'm content with it.

I do wish the interior was a little more roomy given how relatively large the car is, but it's still sufficient and better than a mustang or a camaro (I know they aren't exactly the same kinda car but very little else competes with the challenger). I'm too tall for a mustang, I tried to sit in one and felt like I was folding myself in half to get into it. The Challenger at least I feel nice and comfortable in, I just wish that back seat had a touch more room to it. The interior is quite overbuilt, which I partly like to be honest. Gives that nice "jet fighter cockpit" feel to it, makes the car feel more substantial.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Yes, the rear seat room might be bigger, but I guess no one coupe has substantially better space there (I remember ~2016 Mercedes-Benz E-class convertible, rear room was more comparable with Mustang and Camaro rather then to Challenger, and just 2 seats there). Maybe the big coupes like M-B S-class coupe are giving more space to legs in the rear, but this is totally different sort of car...
For short trip we all 5 can fit in Challenger, for a bit longer 4 of us can travel and it's true than for even longer trip no one from our family wants to sit behind me (for 400 miles and 4 people we took different car :( ). But 3 people can negotiate the leg space very reasonably. And for 2 people - I will always take Challenger, she is definitely very comfortable for long cruises!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Like I have said, this Challenger is the modern version of my 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass S 2 door. Very similar room inside and trunk space. GM makes nothing in a 2 door AWD coupe, especially for 50K. I wish the back small window rolled down like my 70 S, I'm claustrophobic. Add in AWD for our 6 months of Winter, the modern DOHC 300+hp V6 and good 8 speed auto makes a great cruiser for our Canadian roads.

Reactions: Martin Styblo

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
That's good looking figure.
I am now a bit worse than 25, around 20+ mpg - but I face more city-like traffic with frequent stop/go now. When reaching open road with low traffic and hence driving smoothly, the mileage always improves quickly on the dash gauge (even if I drive faster than 65 mph).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Doing all City driving, I am averaging around 22 mpg. This is below freezing temps. The AWD makes this car a complete cruiser. I still haven't got on my Winter tires, more on that.

Reactions: md02geist

·
Registered
2017 GT AWD, Max Steel
55 Posts
That's good looking figure.
I am now a bit worse than 25, around 20+ mpg - but I face more city-like traffic with frequent stop/go now. When reaching open road with low traffic and hence driving smoothly, the mileage always improves quickly on the dash gauge (even if I drive faster than 65 mph).

I would say in the city I am around 19-20mpg.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts