Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother knows a guy who works at a Dodge dealership. He said they are constantly replacing heads on the 3.6. He said I should have stayed away from it. I really haven't seen many issues with the 3.6 heads on this forum. Anyone have issues with the left head? I read it was redesigned in 2012, both I have read there were problems on some 13's.

I recently traded my 2011 RT due to the Timing Chain recall, MDS and noisy lifters on cold starts. Although my 3.6 runs great, I can't help but wonder if I will eventually have issues with the heads. Really starting to have my doubts with Chrysler engines.

·
Registered
209 Posts
They have extended the warranty on the left heads and are now 10 years 150,000miles. The warranty is covered for 2011-early 2013 models of the pentastar.

Couldnt see why anyone would worry about their heads if its now has an extended warranty for parts and labour.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Early 2012 Wranglers were the ones with left head issues on the 3.6L Pentastar (bad valve seat and valve guide material). They fixed the "A" head with the "B" head, which was also problematic, and that with the "C" head - which is A-OK.

IIRC, a late July 2012 head build date was when the "C" heads came about. My two brothers both had JKU's built in June 2012, and one has an "A" head, the other a "B" head (no issues with either). You can always check the Julian build date of your left head (on JK's, they were etched below the master cylinder, behind the white and black connectors).

The diagnostic for warranty work is easy enough.
1) You'll get a Check Engine Light with code P0302,-4,-6 for cylinder misfire - do NOT clear it!
2) Have dealer confirm bad cylinder with pressure test for low compression.
3) Have dealer confirm with exhaust valve leak down test.
4) Chrysler will replace your left head under warranty - which is now extended to 10 years (at least on JK's).

Until you get that CEL and specific code, just drive.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, here is my concern. I had the car approximately two days 100 miles on it.. Come out of work start the car and CEL flashing car missing really bad. Shut the car off, restart the car and all is fine. I have a 2014, I called the dealer who looked up my vin # and said my car is not included in the extended warranty. It has the latest head assembly but it could still be a problem with the head. I checked for codes (none). He suggested to wait and see if it happens again, could just be bad gas. Well it has been two months now, and no signs of anything being wrong but I can't help but wonder what caused that and if it will reappear. Bad gas doesn't make any sense, the car ran perfectly before and after that one glitch. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I would not worry unless it happens again, a one time incident could be anything , a piece of dirt in the fuel line,etc. I have a 2012 and 17k on it, which is supposedly right in the middle of the bad run of 3.6 heads, No problems so far, not even a click or tap out of the heads. I would drive it and enjoy it, a 2014 you do have a 5 year and 100k on the powertrain. I would think if you have a major problem it should show up in the first 100k?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have just under 36k on mine ( 70 miles a day round trip to work ) and other than it " pecking " a bit around 32 degrees no problems at all.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Well it was a new engine in 2011, and there were bound to be some bugs in it , and from what I hear the jeeps got most of them. But I like the 3.6 so far, runs good , smooth, quiet , and put it on the floor and it pulls though the whole power band, not to mention on the highway I get 30 mpg. Its not a Hemi, But I think I read somewhere the combustion chamber is a pentastar design, hence the name.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My brother knows a guy who works at a Dodge dealership. He said they are constantly replacing heads on the 3.6. He said I should have stayed away from it. I really haven't seen many issues with the 3.6 heads on this forum. Anyone have issues with the left head? I read it was redesigned in 2012, both I have read there were problems on some 13's.

I recently traded my 2011 RT due to the Timing Chain recall, MDS and noisy lifters on cold starts. Although my 3.6 runs great, I can't help but wonder if I will eventually have issues with the heads. Really starting to have my doubts with Chrysler engines.
When I bought my 2013 Rallye Redline, there was a recall on the heads & they scheduled them for replacement right away. I have had it for a year now & so far, no problems since they were replaced. I've found the 3.6L Pentastar to be a very good engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They have extended the warranty on the left heads and are now 10 years 150,000miles. The warranty is covered for 2011-early 2013 models of the pentastar.

Couldnt see why anyone would worry about their heads if its now has an extended warranty for parts and labour.
do you know if this warranty is for 2010 dodge challenger se? I posted my problem on a thread as well.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,634 Posts
do you know if this warranty is for 2010 dodge challenger se? I posted my problem on a thread as well.
No only on the 3.6 the 3.5 is not covered it is a completely different engine.

Reactions: jklotz10

·
Registered
20 Posts

I'm having trouble with my 2014 and the dealer wants $1558 to replace the rockers and lifters. (pushrods). They didn't mention any warranty. How do I get info on this warranty? The engine is running really badly and of course the check engine light is on. The car has 140,000 miles.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My understanding also is the Jeeps had more issues, some on the sites claim there was issues right to 2017 on them. I know air 142009 posted if there was 3.5 issues over a year ago, yes there were, many. The dreaded tick, either worn rocker arms or the valve seats moving around. Plus sludging issues. I accidentally stretched one oil change to just under 8000 km, used oil after that, it got worse and worse, a liter every 3500 km at the end. Flushing did nothing. Even though it was a 2010 which supposedly had the better rocker arms, it ticked, really bad before we traded it off. The 3.6 has been flawless and we get 35 mpg imperial on the highway in nice weather. Even 30 mpg in winter on the highway and 20 in town. Considering my wife command starts it twice every day, that is awesome mileage for a 4100 pound AWD car that stays in AWD all the time. A very nice upgrade between the 3.6 and 8 spd over the 3.5 and 5 spd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts