Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year I pulled out the plastic inner headlight plugs and installed a set of Orange Anodized Merrick Intake Rings to flow some air into the engine compartment. Carrying on with my intake mods over the past Winter, I installed a Spector flexible air duct tube on the passenger side inner headlight opening to flow cool air down into the engine compartment. My main idea behind this was to allow any water, bugs and dust to exit down and out from the lower engine compartment area.

About two weeks ago I purchased a Hellcat airbox and duct tube from Steve White Motors and this is a post-install followup showing the steps I used to install the air box and duct in my 2016 3.6 Pentastar Challenger SXT Plus as a replacement for the stock air box. Depending upon where you get your airbox and duct tube, it will cost you a little over $100 to perform this mod if you install it yourself. While this mod doesn't really offer any substantive performance gains in and of itself, it does offer an additional quantity of cool air into the intake system. Also, I'm not claiming that my way of installing it was the only way it should be done. I welcome comments on better ways to do it with tips and suggestions by those who choose to speak up.:)

Here are the Hellcat Airbox parts that fit the 3.6 V6 Pentastar...

Part Numbers:

68175164AC [Airbox]

68207918AB [Air Duct Tube]

Technology Auto part

To install the intake kit the first step is to open the hood and pop off the plastic cover on the drivers side to allow access to the headlight tube area. The cover is easy to remove and just pops out from the fender area on one side and the hood latch area on the other.

Product Architecture Design Automotive design Room

Now that you have access to the stock airbox it's time to remove the airbox cover. There are (3) lid screws to remove and then (1) main airbox mounting screw. I used a 5/16 nutdriver to remove them.

Another step to make removal of the airbox easier is to disconnect the flexible part of the intake tube as well as the valve cover vent tube from the cover at the rubber slip connection. You can then take the entire cover and set it aside so you have much more room to work.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Product Kitchen appliance

The final step for removal is to simply pull the stock intake box up and out and set it aside next to the new Hellcat airbox. You will need to remove the main attachment washer and also a rubber bumper located on the stock airbox and then reinstall them on the new Hellcat airbox. The rubber bumper is easily removable, but the main attachment washer is a bit harder to remove. To solve this I took a screwdriver and ran its shaft down through the washers hole as sort of a makeshift "handle/puller" to exert enough force to make the washer slip out past the slot on the factory box and also to reinstall it on the Hellcat box.

Auto part Metal Tire Engine Machine

Footwear Material property Tire Auto part Small appliance

The next step involves placing some weatherstrip on the lower end of the Hellcat box along with some foam or rubber friction gaskets on the side in an embossed rectangular area [See Photo Above, Right]. I have access to scrap weatherstrip at my work so I found some interesting pieces that would work and used them. Most of you will have to go the local auto parts or Big Box store and purchase weatherstripping there that will work. Keep in mind that the new airbox likely still has mold release on it. Be sure to scrub the application surfaces with isopropyl alcohol soaked onto a shop rag or paper towel to ensure the best adhesion of your weatherstripping.

Continued...below. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The final step can be done either of two ways. The first way is what I chose and that is to take the air duct piece and mount it into the airbox first. Please note that here is an index notch in the airbox mounting ring that you have to match up to the corresponding index on the airduct tube. You then tilt the fully assembled airbox/duct tube down into place and maneuver it towards the front headlight air duct mounting area. You may have to wiggle it around and work it a bit since it's a tight fit, but it will go in this way pretty easily. Make sure that the airbox duct end is inserted fully all the way around the headlight mounting ring as you push forward. I found that it wasn't all the way around the first time I tried to connect it and had to pull it out and retry a couple times.

Product Tire Technology Electronics

The second way would be to install the airduct piece first and then lower the airbox in to connect them both together. I just felt that this method would be too cumbersome in such a tight, restricted area. You're welcome to give it a try if you care to.

Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Bumper Trunk

Once you get the airbox unit in place and install the air filter back in position just reverse the dis-assembly steps above. Took me about an hour taking photos along the way, but actual time would have been about 30- 40 minutes without the photo sessions.

Here are a few finished photos...

Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Muffler
Vehicle Personal luxury car Car Automotive lighting Auto part

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Nice write up and pics Derecho...

Reactions: Adman98 and Derecho

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SXT, Frostbite color, Driver Convience Pkg, Navigation and Sunroof.
117 Posts
Derecho, Awsome write up and pictures.
I will take you up on adding info to your thread.
I just installed the Hellcat Air Box on my 2020 Challenger SXT. My inner headlight housings have a black plastic plug with 3 tabs on them to hold them in place. Real easy to remove for the air box mod. (Thank you Dodge Engineering)
See attached Pictures.
The only problem I had was installing my stock cover on the Hellcat air box. The Hellcat air box has 2 square tabs moulded to the top lip. (Pictures attached) They interfere with the installation of the stock SXT box cover. Easy solution, remove with a hacksaw of dremel tool.
Hope this helps anyone else doing this mod.

Jim.........[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Derecho, Awsome write up and pictures.
I will take you up on adding info to your thread.
I just installed the Hellcat Air Box on my 2020 Challenger SXT. My inner headlight housings have a black plastic plug with 3 tabs on them to hold them in place. Real easy to remove for the air box mod. (Thank you Dodge Engineering)
See attached Pictures.
The only problem I had was installing my stock cover on the Hellcat air box. The Hellcat air box has 2 square tabs moulded to the top lip. (Pictures attached) They interfere with the installation of the stock SXT box cover. Easy solution, remove with a hacksaw of dremel tool.
Hope this helps anyone else doing this mod.

Jim.........
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Bigallis1!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts