Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Ive recently bought my 72 challenger project that i will be shipping the uk and restoring.

Im after some information about the 360 engine it has in it (currently non running as needs wiring in).

I believe its from a 96-03 ram/dakota. Has anyone ever done this conversion or seen a challenger with one?

I think it has a performance ecu with it that should help with getting more power.

Its hooked up to the auto gearbox and is missing the driveshaft but ill make one of those when the time comes. Ive also bought a few cosmetic parts to fix it up. Mainly wanting info on the engine etc.

Thanks Ross

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,566 Posts
Welcome from AZ. I have not seen that conversion. It should be reliable.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
Welcome from NE Ohio. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hi Ross, welcome from Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Sounds like a fun project. Not a Dodge, but I know a guy who is putting a '14 Ford Coyote 5.0L engine in his 68 Mustang. His biggest challenge to date which I'm thinking will be yours too is the wiring. All doable, just pretty in-depth. Lots of forward (and backward) progress but he is getting there.

I know me personally this winter I converted my 70 Challenger with a 318 from carb / points to EFI & electronic ignition and while I was able to keep it looking pretty clean, there is tons of additional wiring needed. I was at least able to run / hide most of mine lower along the firewall.

What you'll find is after it's all said and done it will be so nice. I love the classics but I'm finding I love the reliability of fuel injection.

Send progress pics

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that bud.
Looks cool. Ive seen a few people going EFI on the older engines. Its cool.

Im hoping i can sort my wiring out and get her running sweet. Should be fun and like you say. Great reliabilty factory (i hope)

Will add pics once its home on uk soil and keep you all updated on build. If it hasnt been done hopefully i csn provide info for it anyone else does it.

Thanks Ross

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys.

Car is now back in the UK.
Ive completely stripped out the interior that had multiple mice nests in and cleaned etc.

After investigating the engine and seeing how ugly looking it was in the engine bay ive decided to remove it. And will eventually be building a 440 to go in there.

Turns out the engine was a 318 from a durango i believe.

The project continues....
20191012_175215.jpg
20191012_175215.jpg
20191009_235323.jpg
20191009_230911.jpg

·
Registered
2018 F8 R/T Challenger
1,568 Posts
I had a 97' Ram 360, had 170k miles on the motor and went through 4 transmissions. It had a 6" skyjacker lift with 3" body lift that was probably the contributing factor for the many tyranny failures though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts