Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be starting the install on my low compression 393 supercharged stroker pretty soon, in still waiting for a few pieces before I get after it. Ive pulled/ replaced motors before but never on the challenger. Anyone have any tips tricks or run into any avoidable unexpected problems when doing theirs?

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
You will spend more time taking off everything from the fans forward and disconnecting wires and hoses than you will pulling the engine. And just when you thought you got everything disconnected, there will be more. Done it twice on club members cars but we don't allow it anymore. Takes up one bay forever and causes too many issues to list.
-John

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Take pictures during dis-assembly of everything. Case in point; when one of the cars was going back together, a small harness lost its way. Then the owner said, I should have taken a picture of that! He spent 4 hours figuring out where it finally went. 100 pictures is not too many.
-John

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
147 Posts
Skye has a couple of vids where he pulls the 5.7 from a 300/magnum/etc. Removing the cowel at the bottom of the windshield seems to be one tip that really creats a bunch of extra room and light working on the back of the engine.

Reactions: SweetT

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
5,060 Posts
Post some of the pics or video. I would really like to see part of the process. Yes, and good luck! (y)

Reactions: SweetT

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
5,233 Posts
What's a 393?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
The shops drop the engine out of the bottom with the front end. At least they did mine when I did the heads cam ect.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will spend more time taking off everything from the fans forward and disconnecting wires and hoses than you will pulling the engine. And just when you thought you got everything disconnected, there will be more. Done it twice on club members cars but we don't allow it anymore. Takes up one bay forever and causes too many issues to list.
-John
[/QUO
-John
Skye has a couple of vids where he pulls the 5.7 from a 300/magnum/etc. Removing the cowel at the bottom of the windshield seems to be one tip that really creats a bunch of extra room and light working on the back of the engine.
Good to know ie was actually wondering if that would help or not! 👍

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The shops drop the engine out of the bottom with the front end. At least they did mine when I did the heads cam ect.
I actually saw them so that on auto Nation or something like that! There's a whole cradle it's all sits in. I don't have my lift for my shop. . . . Lol yet, maybe next year. The stroker and the supercharger was a pretty good chunk of change.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
393 seems a bit much out of a 5.7 hope your going Forged Parts other wise that thing wont last long and low compression
for the Supercharger.
Callies forged crank and rods. 2618 custom pistons CR 8:1 3.6l kenne bell and other assorted tricks and goodies ( insert mad scientist laugh) it's gonna be. . . AWESOME,. . . . . Or possibly blow the f up and burn to the ground but hopefully the first thing😁😁😁

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
5,233 Posts
4.080 crank, 6.125 rods, 3.197 bore
A 393 stroker would make your ride a Ford. A 5.7L engine with a 4.080 crank, 3.922 stroke and 6.125 rods would be a 392 stroker with a 3.92 bore. I don't know what the specs you listed are.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

A 393 stroker would make your ride a Ford. A 5.7L engine with a 4.080 crank, 3.922 stroke and 6.125 rods would be a 392 stroker with a 3.92 bore. I don't know what the specs you listed are.
Not 3.9ww
3.922 isn't a thing. 3.917 (stock bore) 4.080 is a 393
3.927 (0.010 over) 4.050 is a 392
If you leave it a stock bore and put in a 4.050 crank is still called a 392 even though technically it's like 390 and change

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ford doesn't make Chrysler engine blocks. . lol you can make a 454 out of a 6.2/6.4 block it doesn't make it a Chevy. . . . still a Chrysler.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
4,656 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts