Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep, one 426 stroker is just not enough LOL. Didn't quite get the HP we were after so going for it again. On his Mustang dyno it was around 520 RWHP and 545 torque. 12:1 compression on pump gas. Kooks headers and catless. Custom grind cam and balanced crank. He thinks the choke points are the OE intake (although ported & honed) and OE ported & built heads. He also thinks there is some kind of harmonics thing going on I don't understand. Since my builder wasn't happy with the numbers on build #1, he buttoned everything up and said have fun driving it this summer. In the mean time, he's building me another engine with better performance parts (including Thitek heads and custom built intake) all at no additional cost to me! We're shooting for Hellcat numbers on an N/A build.

I was in his shop yesterday when he showed me this SRT aluminum race block. Easily picked it up with two hands. Of course I had to have it so volunteered to pony up for it since I wouldn't expect him to eat the cost on that over a cast iron block on build 2.0. Should shave around 140lbs off the nose.

So the fun begins again on what looks like a good fall/winter project and will keep everyone posted.

Alum. Block 2.jpg
Alum. Block.jpg

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ummm... if you're just going to turn it into a glass-topped coffee table or something, can I have the 1st engine when you're done?
LOL I consider myself the temporary keeper of his engine for now. I'm sure he'll be able to get a few bucks out of build 1.0. when 2.0 is done. It's a great runner with decent street manners. Just not quite the amount of power for us yet.

I am counting my lucky stars and so greatful that I was able to hook up with a builder who takes so much pride in his work. I would bet anyone else would just call it good and say it is what it is or pay up sucker.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,195 Posts
They aren't bad numbers at all! Hell, those numbers aren't much lower than my NA 440 engine.

Reactions: ArchGE

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I will run 1.0 at the strip and track before she gets retired :). My builder is into engineering and has developed his own intake design. Has a fab shop constructing the intake as we speak. We'll be using my car as a test mule. It will have a T.B. flange that accepts either a 392 or Hellcat throttle body without the need for any adapters. It'll be low profile so I can still keep my strut brace. I asked him if he'll still associate with me when he's rich and famous because the MOPAR community is dying for a good performance intake...he said he knows :)

Build 1.0 has the O.E. intake, ported and honed. Headers are Kooks and catless. T.B. Is Hellcat.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,195 Posts
We're chasing Hellcat numbers with an N/A engine :). Builder wants better than 700 at the crank.
Arrington once offered an aluminum NA 468 Hemi that went over the 700 mark. But for some reason, they don't offer it any longer. I always wondered why they don't any more. ??? Too bad because that would be right up my alley.

:(

Reactions: ArchGE

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went to the shop to visit my new block today. The original posted pics. were of a similar alum. block for reference but needed to show the actual block here. Good side-by-side against a cast iron block. Builder says he's already had offers higher than what I paid so am glad I put the coin down right away :) They call it a BG (big gas) aluminum block designed as a limited "track pack" release. Upgraded lifter sleeves and different angle on push rod locations. Many struct. reinforcing bits cast into the block also. Love the little SRT stamp on the front.

What do you guys think...leave it raw finish or paint it? I'm leaning to raw. Rarely if ever sees rain.

IMG_0115.jpeg
IMG_0120.jpeg
IMG_0121.jpeg

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Raw would get my vote.

What octane fuel would you be running with that beast?
Being tuned for 91 pump gas plus a flash tune for track/strip days on race gas.

I asked my builder about a high temp clear coat and he said it would have to be glossy. Not sure about that but would be nice to clear it. Now that I look at that painted cast iron block above, it kind of has some gloss to it and not so bad...think I'll seriously consider a clear coat. Thanks for the input!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,217 Posts
Being tuned for 91 pump gas plus a flash tune for track/strip days on race gas.

I asked my builder about a high temp clear coat and he said it would have to be glossy. Not sure about that but would be nice to clear it. Now that I look at that painted cast iron block above, it kind of has some gloss to it and not so bad...think I'll seriously consider a clear coat. Thanks for the input!
Aluminium does not rust but it does oxidize in humidity. The clear coat would prevent that. If you were here in AZ you could probably leave it raw. The aluminium on the R/T never oxidized in 9 years .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts