Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I posted on here, and I haven't done a lot to the car in the way of new modifications.
However I recently completed a business trip to Dallas & back, a 156 miles each way.
I was pleasantly surprised that the car averaged 19 miles to the gallon both ways (all highway) at speeds ranging from 80-90 mph using cruise control. Ambient temps were 99-102*, so the AC was on high for the duration of the trip and ECTs hovered around 200*.
This is the furthest I have driven the car since the engine swap a few years back.
Due to the lack of E85 on the way, I retuned to run on 93.
I was honestly expecting a 15 on the highway as I only get ~11 city.
With the high cost of fuel currently I'll take it.
One benefit of keeping the smaller 5.7 and adding a forced induction would have been better fuel mileage. If I had to do all over again I might go that way... but the cam chop at idle does get a lot of thumbs up from fellow car enthusiast.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger GT AWD, Granite Crystal, Black Top, Convenience Group, car nickname: "Christine"
436 Posts
Incredible numbers for 426 stroker!
When trying to keep 80-90 mph on a highway (what is not so easy in our dense traffic as a smooth pace is always broken by the circumstances and one needs to slow down & accelerate again quite often) I can get about 22 mpg with the little V6...

Reactions: chizzle1

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In 6th even with the 3.90 gears it only turns about 1900 between 80-90 mph.
Plenty of low end torque means I usually don't need to reach for the shifter when passing...unless I'm annoyed 😁
If I can force myself to do the speed limit I'll probably get a little better on the highway.
Around town with idling, stop & go traffic the mileage is 10-12.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts