Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you guys/gals think about upgrading from 5.7L to 7.0 L 426 Stroker ? I currently have RT classic auto with magnusson supercharger, zoomers exhaust, and mopar CAI.

The shop that wants to do this only work on MOPAR cars and got good reviews.

The thing i like about this shop is that they finance and owner said he can take half now and i can do monthly payments which was nice. :smileup:

He mentioned that the best part of this large block is that everything is Fully forged which is the most important part, not sure what that meant but he said that he will show me damaged pistons when i come to the shop.

Also going to upgrade
HEMI NAG1 Paramount Stage II Modified Valve Body LX LC
API Competition Single Pump Fuel System
KOOKS LongTube headers

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
What do you guys/gals think about upgrading from 5.7L to 7.0 L 426 Stroker ? I currently have RT classic auto with magnusson supercharger, zoomers exhaust, and mopar CAI.

The thing i like about this shop is that they finance and owner said he can take half now and i can do monthly payments which was nice. :smileup:

He mentioned that the best part of this large block is that everything is Fully forged which is the most important part, not sure what that meant but he said that he will show me damaged pistons when i come to the shop.

Also going to upgrade
KOOKS LongTube headers

Thoughts ?
I like the plan!!!:smileup: thought about seeing your supercharger, or are ya gonna keep it? Also could you inbox me the shop thats going to convert your engine?? Kinda want to do a 426 as well!

·
13,007 Posts
Might need to upgrade your rear end to handle the extra HP. I've heard the R/T half-shafts are rated to 500 RWHP.
That's only the start of it, the whole drive train will be under stress from all that extra H.P.

Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
Registered
3,562 Posts

Also going to upgrade
KOOKS LongTube headers

Thoughts ?
Might too much for the rest of the car to handle all that EXTRA horse power!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
question i had on our pistons.. Does the 5.7 come with better pistons than the 6.4 or stronger material ? Are the 5.7 pistons forged ?

I was hearing 6.4 pistons were getting damaged when using a supercharger.

By the way guys, i am planning on doing this and will take some pics ...

He has allowed me to come to the shop and test drive a challenger with the 426 stroker installed

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,735 Posts
This sounds flippin' awesome! And yeah, the word on the 6.4L pistons is that they're made of glass :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This sounds flippin' awesome! And yeah, the word on the 6.4L pistons is that they're made of glass :)
Are the 5.7 pistons forged and they won't damage as easy as the 6.4 with a supercharger?

ya i can't wait until i go test drive this monster.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,735 Posts
Are the 5.7 pistons forged and they won't damage as easy as the 6.4 with a supercharger?
5.7L pistons aren't forged but for some reason are much stronger. Folks supercharging their 5.7s aren't advised to put in forged pistons until they run 12 pounds of boost, but those with 6.4Ls are advised to put them in for as little as 6 pounds. Some of our more knowledgeable supercharger guys can probably give you specifics on why. I'm just repeating what I've read from them here on the forum. HTH.

·
Registered
184 Posts
thumbs up with the 426 and not sure what kinda HP you will be putting to the ground, BUT I'd look into tranny, drive shaft and rear end....BUT heck ya...

I know the tranny I want is made by southern hotrod in Kenner LA and the one I want will handle over 1000RWHP...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thumbs up with the 426 and not sure what kinda HP you will be putting to the ground, BUT I'd look into tranny, drive shaft and rear end....BUT heck ya...

I know the tranny I want is made by southern hotrod in Kenner LA and the one I want will handle over 1000RWHP...
thanks, ya ive always wanted a monster car with high HP. This is the start to my journey . haha

Shop did mention about the drive shaft and rear end but only if i will go to the track, and i will so ummm ya that will be after this upgrade .:smileup:

He said i would be getting around 620 RWHP but that is when PSI on my supercharger will come in to play, and since its fully forged , i will be ok.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ya your 426 if built right wont have issues with 620 RWHP...but I'm with the others track or no track if you drive your car like me the drive shaft won't handle the pounding for long... unless you run will call it crappy tires then you will spin like crazy and won't have much load on the power train... but my thoughts are if your going to have 600+ HP then you want to enjoy it and beefing up drive train is a must but you can always be like once it goes boom you upgrade...lol

My goal is to run high 9s or low 10s.....I gave up my Gsxr1000 I want to be able to keep up with my buddies..lol and I know I will have to drop some real cash into my car..but I think it will be well worth it and Southern Hotrod is more then whiling to do it for me..hahahha..

Anyway good luck on your mods and keep up updated..

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,363 Posts
Just some advice. My transmission is starting to slip after three years of being a naturally aspirated 426 (504 RWHP/498 RWTQ)and now a year as a supercharged 426 (600 RWHP/ 550RWTQ) on 5lbs of boost and I'm not tracking the car. Transmission is a week spot and I would recommend you upgrade to a War Viking by SHR or Paramont NAG1 70 series transmission. At the power levels you are looking at, I recommend you seriously look at the entire power train especially if you are tracking the car.

You may find this link helpful as you upgrade your car: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general/hrdp_1105_what_breaks_on_2008_to_2011_dodges/viewall.html.

Congrats and good luck on your upgrades.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Just some advice. My transmission is starting to slip after three years of being a naturally aspirated 426 (504 RWHP/498 RWTQ)and now a year as a supercharged 426 (600 RWHP/ 550RWTQ) on 5lbs of boost and I'm not tracking the car. Transmission is a week spot and I would recommend you upgrade to a War Viking by SHR or Paramont NAG1 70 series transmission. At the power levels you are looking at, I recommend you seriously look at the entire power train especially if you are tracking the car.

You may find this link helpful as you upgrade your car: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general/hrdp_1105_what_breaks_on_2008_to_2011_dodges/viewall.html.

Congrats and good luck on your upgrades.
Definitely!! A friend of mine has a 08 SuperBee pushing 670 at the wheels, he has replaced everything in the driveline to accommodate all that power.. I will say, I have ridden in it and boy is it fun! Good luck on the new mods!:smileup:

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
My understanding is the 6-speed TREMECs are good to 600 RWHP before they need a heavy duty clutch, and then they are good to about 700 RWHp. The Auto' are good at 600 as well, however the torque converters cant handle the 600 so you will have to swap that. Folks who are helping me plan my build are telling anything above 540/550 and I need to beef up the rear end and the half shafts (plus a safety loop).

As to the piston question, I recall a thread or two where folks where talking about the distance from the top ring land on the 392s is less than on the 345s and that is a factor on S/C tunes. I may not be recalling that perfectly and I certainly do not know all of the particulars so probably best to talk to folks at HHP, Arrington, or similar to get the inside baseball on this.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm sure compression plays a major factor on longevity when adding boost.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How can you tell if its a 6.4 or 6.1 or 5.7 other than the sticker under the hood ? Reason i ask is because like some already know, i am going with the 426 stroker 7.0 liter and shop owner seems honest but how can i tell if its a 6.4 he will install?

He said the parts are 6.4 SRT but all fully forged... i am not good with cars but why call it 7.0 ?

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,363 Posts
These threads will help answer some of your questions:
http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=78922
http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76366

A 7.0L stroker based on a 6.1 engine looks just like a stock 6.1L engine. The difference is internal with piston and rods. Similarly you will not be able to tell the difference on a 5.7L based 426. If you are worried that your shop wont install the correct motor you need to find another shop.

7.0L is approximately 426 cubic inches (see attached chart). Keep asking questions it is the only way to learn. Good Luck:smileup:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.