Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm looking to buy classic Challenger. I found this one, and one of things that are strange to me, it's working idle engine sound. Can you please tell me why it is working like this?
Hard to describe what is wrong for me in this sound, but its like working with some pattern like "1,2,3,4,pause,1,2,3,4,pause...." and so on. All challengers with 440 in that I heard was working smooth without making this "pause" in sound pattern.

Here is Youtube link :

Greetings!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will ask seller about cam, but judging from description it is stock. They said that there is Edelbrock intake manifold and MSD Ignition Box.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sounds like non factory cam. Idle speed seems low. Carbureted engines didn't really do well at cold start/cold idle. The after market manifold exacrebates this. The factory manifold helped some in it had an exhaust heated cross over which warmed up the air/fuel mixture and helped ensure good atomization and better combustion when cold. And last but not least who knows how old the gas is in the tank? That car could have been sitting months.

If you really want to know the car have the seller give you a 15 mile test ride. The route should be selected in order to be able subject the car to a variety of driving conditions: city, boulevard, and freeway. Once the engine is up to temperature a hard pull or two from a slow roll up through a gear or two. No need to see "what she'll do" to the max just verify the engine pulls good from idle to near red line and after shows no ill effects.

After the test ride back at the starting point get behind the wheel and drive the car over the same route and the same way. If you want you can dial back the hard acceleration. You don't want an unfamiliar hi-po car getting away from you on a test drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like seller don't know if there is different cam there, but it sounds like there is (seller also agreed). Thank you all for advice and helping me figured out this sound.
Yes T/A styling was added (with black hood, and vinyl top). My 2015 hellcat have the same pack (satin hood, sublime green, and black wing) so they could be a nice pair :)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
It not uncommon 70 Challengers got a TA hood if a Shaker was ordered. Some kind of shaker production problem in 70. I suspect it was added to this car though.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Check to see if it has the lighter hood springs to go with the fiberglass hood. If not the hood will eventually crack because of the stiffer hood springs. Not sure how to tell the difference but something to ask. Did you check the VIN to see if it is a real 440?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK found some more info from original seller

440 Big Block, 850 Carburetor, Automatic Transmission 727, Posi Rear End, Front Disk Brakes, 8 Year Old Rotisserie, No Rust-,Perfect Interior, Fiberglass T/A Hood, Exhaust Front And Rear, Not Original T/A

Also car factory engine was 318ci

No info about cam.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Agree with comments about cam & idle.....sounds like a non-stock cam to me and the idle could be bumped up a bit but honestly, it sounds pretty mean to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts