Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. So i have a little bit of a delimma. I just recently put a new cam into my challenger and i just got the tune from my tuner to be able to start it for the first time. However i ran into a little bit of a snag. First off i did the cam swap myself and i am sure i got the right information regarding torque specs an sequences. I also researched how to set the timing to TDC as well. Second, the car will turn over with no problem but when i go to start the car it starts with no issues but idels for about 30 secs and then stalls. Almost like the fuel or spatk gets cut. I have contacted my tuner to see if this is a tune related issue but i am going to take the valve covers off and make sure no pushrods are bent and the valves are opening and closing properly. I did turn the car over before actually starting it to prime the oil system, i am not sure if i was not supposed to that or not. I hope it is not a timing issue but i am not sure. Again the car starts fine and doesnt sound rough but it doesnt idel for more than 30 secs. There are also no codes shown after the inital start and plus after it stalls and i go to start the car again it will just turnover and not run. I can post a video of it if that would help anyone. Its weird and has me confused on where to start. Any help would be helpful, thanks everyone.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,613 Posts
Could be a camshaft sensor. Did you check for DTC's following the swap?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hey everyone. So i have a little bit of a delimma. I just recently put a new cam into my challenger and i just got the tune from my tuner to be able to start it for the first time. However i ran into a little bit of a snag. First off i did the cam swap myself and i am sure i got the right information regarding torque specs an sequences. I also researched how to set the timing to TDC as well. Second, the car will turn over with no problem but when i go to start the car it starts with no issues but idels for about 30 secs and then stalls. Almost like the fuel or spatk gets cut. I have contacted my tuner to see if this is a tune related issue but i am going to take the valve covers off and make sure no pushrods are bent and the valves are opening and closing properly. I did turn the car over before actually starting it to prime the oil system, i am not sure if i was not supposed to that or not. I hope it is not a timing issue but i am not sure. Again the car starts fine and doesnt sound rough but it doesnt idel for more than 30 secs. There are also no codes shown after the inital start and plus after it stalls and i go to start the car again it will just turnover and not run. I can post a video of it if that would help anyone. Its weird and has me confused on where to start. Any help would be helpful, thanks everyone.
Reads like a fuel supply problem. The fuel pump can work from cold for 30 seconds then it quits. After a cool down it works again. This could also be the fuel pump relay.

Can you hear the fuel pump running after the engine dies?

There is no reason to check the valve action. Or check for bent push rods. (You should have checked these for straightness before you installed them.)

Turning the engine over before starting an engine that has been completely or partially disassembled is a lousy way to prime the oil system. The starter doesn't spin the engine very fast and the oil pump may not prime. Gear oil pumps are very inefficient at slow speed. This is when as soon as the engine fires the engine controller takes the RPMs up to around 1K to help ensure proper oil pump prime and get the oil flowing ASAP.

Not sure how it is done now but years ago with a 318cid engine I removed the distributor and used a hex shaft and an electric drill motor to spin the oil pump to ensure it primed (might add to help it prime I coated the gears with Vasoline) -- it did as when it did it pulled the speed of the drill motor down -- then I continued to let the drill more spin the pump until oil was flowing through the push rods.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I did my cam swap, the first time I drove it it would die when I came to a stop slowly. It took a bit for the engine to learn. After a couple of drives it found its idle at 750 rpm or so. Can you drive it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone i figured out the issue and got the car running and driving. I put a pushrod in the wrong hole in the head and i got lucky as it only ben the pushrod and no other damage. You are right fast black i drove the car to day and the longer i drove it the better it got at drving. Thanks for the info and the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts