Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
12,990 Posts
I did mine at 30000 miles too and they looked fairly good and could have easily gone another 8000-10000 more miles.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
I did mine at 30000 miles too and they looked fairly good and could have easily gone another 8000-10000 more miles.
Mine too. But the change did gie a smoother, more responsive throttle response.

·
Average Guy
295 Posts
I just hit 30K this week also and wondering the same thing. I still have on the original Firestone tires, they look like another 5 or 6K and they'll need to be replaced.

So it sounds like 35 - 40K would be a good point to change out the plugs?

Any opinion on plugs (at a reasonabl price)?

30K and not a single problem (other than the rocker panels), the car runs great! :smileup:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
On my wifes 300C I changed them several years ago at 50,000 miles and they looked pretty good. Couldn't really tell any difference after the change.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
I just hit 30K this week also and wondering the same thing. I still have on the original Firestone tires, they look like another 5 or 6K and they'll need to be replaced.

So it sounds like 35 - 40K would be a good point to change out the plugs?

Any opinion on plugs (at a reasonabl price)?

30K and not a single problem (other than the side rails), the car runs great! :smileup:

For a car that's mainly stock I'd stick with OEM recommended plug NGK #LZFR5C-11.

I got my last set off of eBay. They were cheaper than the dealership. Make sure you use anti-sieze on the threads and di-electric grease in the boots. Factory specs call for a .043 gap, I gapped mine at a tight .045

Also, save yourself a little time during the install. Gap and anti-sieze before.

·
12,990 Posts
These were mine at 30000 miles.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,762 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
These were mine at 30000 miles.
They only put 6 plugs in your 8 cylinder R/T?
I had mine replaced at like 50k. They were a little worn. I think it runs better.

·
Premium Member
18,526 Posts
My only concern with not changing them out at 30 k is what impact it could have on the power train warranty.I don't want to give Dodge any excuses.

·
12,990 Posts
My only concern with not changing them out at 30 k is what impact it could have on the power train warranty.I don't want to give Dodge any excuses.
Good point Art, I guess not changing them would be giving dealer ammunition that they could use against you if there is a problem.

·
Dazed & Confused
36,623 Posts
I did mine at 28k, they looked good. I would have no problem stretching them a little further than what the manual says.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Totally worth it, changed mine 29500 and they looked pretty good, however the gaps were all wrong and there was some build up on them. After I replaced them I noticed better throttle response and the early morning second gear lurching out of my neighborhood stopped. It accelerates much smoother now just overall happier.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I haven't changed my but I will do them after the winter season my car is at 48K now.

·
Average Guy
295 Posts
For a car that's mainly stock I'd stick with OEM recommended plug NGK #LZFR5C-11.

I got my last set off of eBay. They were cheaper than the dealership. Make sure you use anti-sieze on the threads and di-electric grease in the boots. Factory specs call for a .043 gap, I gapped mine at a tight .045

Also, save yourself a little time during the install. Gap and anti-sieze before.
Thanks Bad8nti, appreciate the guidance!

·
Registered
291 Posts

I couldn't find a cheap set of 16 on ebay, but did find a Chrysler OEM parts site that has them for $4 each. My dealer wants $8 so that's a savings of $64 on a change.

http://chrysler-partscenter.com/par...=SPLZFR5C11&action=oePartSearch&siteid=217025

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I did mine at a little over 40k and the engine still ran good but MPG's had fallen off some and once I changed them I could immediately tell the difference. I will change them out at 30k intervals from now on, it gets better MPG's and is WAY smoother.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts